+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

changing of family name

Adhelsky

Feb 5, 2012
I just got married last April 2012, and I want to change my status. Would it be possible if I could change my current family name in to my husband family name? I need some suggestion how can i start, besides, i'm still using my current family name(as single) in my Passport (if i need to change first?). Please help?? :) thanks.

honeysweetie

Jun 17, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi, what I did 2 years ago was that, I sent my Marriage Certificate and a letter informing them about my change of civil status. But it didn't show up in my CIC documents until I change my passport into my married name. I applied extension of WOrk Permit 1 year ago using my SINGLE NAME passport together I enclosed a copy of my marriage certificate but still they issued me a NEW WORK PERMIT under my single name(they based on the passport details I submitted). But last April 2012 as I can see it now on my ECAS since I applied OWP/PR application using my MARRIED NAME PASSPORT (CIC changed it already into my married name). In short you can write to CIC and attach your Marriage Certificate that you already get married but they won't change your name on their/CIC documents until you will renew your passport into your married name. So better renew your passport first. In my case I have to renew my Work Permit extension first before I applied for passport renewal because if I were to compute the processing time for passport renewal it will be too late to apply for extension of WP and I might get into trouble losing my status since my wp at that time will soon be expiring.

mytammy

Star Member
Sep 10, 2011
Hi, it's good you started a thread about change of name. I was married 2 yrs ago buy I'm still using my SINGLE name since my passport is valid until July 2013. I am applying for my OWP/PR on Sept this year and I'm still using my SINGLE name since I have not yet changed my passport. Do I need to renew my passport now to my MARRIED name before I apply for OWP/PR? Or is it ok if I just get a AMENDMENT from my country's embassy for my MARRIED name?

I am also planning to go home to my country on November and my visa is valid until July 2013. It is confused what I must do. If I change passport it is means that my visa will not be valid any more? I hope you can help me with my situations. Thank you so much for your advice.

honeysweetie

Jun 17, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mytammy said:
Hi, it's good you started a thread about change of name. I was married 2 yrs ago buy I'm still using my SINGLE name since my passport is valid until July 2013. I am applying for my OWP/PR on Sept this year and I'm still using my SINGLE name since I have not yet changed my passport. Do I need to renew my passport now to my MARRIED name before I apply for OWP/PR? Or is it ok if I just get a AMENDMENT from my country's embassy for my MARRIED name?

I am also planning to go home to my country on November and my visa is valid until July 2013. It is confused what I must do. If I change passport it is means that my visa will not be valid any more? I hope you can help me with my situations. Thank you so much for your advice.
If I were you I will change/renew my passport first before I will submit my OWP/PR applications because CIC usually issues OWP's based on passport expiry. And since CIC is unpredictable you really don't know when will you get your OWP/PR.

mytammy

Star Member
Sep 10, 2011
Thanks honeysweetie for your advised. If I change my passport to my MARRIED name then my visa will not be valid anymore because my visa is my SINGLE name and also my current WP is also my SINGLE name. Do you think if I changed my passport to MARRIED name I can still go home to my home country using my SINGLE name visa and WP? I so confused.

triggerhappy

Jun 4, 2012
I have a dilemma, I got married in the philippines but my marriage contract will not be released till end of july. I want to send my FSW application by july 1 because the quota for nurses gets filled up easily. Can I just send the certified true copy of our marriage contract that I have now?
Btw, I just want to ask if I got this right..does this mean that I don't need to change the name in my passport? Coz that will still be a lot of time wasted if I do change my name. Thanks a lot!

Adhelsky

Feb 5, 2012
honeysweetie said:
Hi, what I did 2 years ago was that, I sent my Marriage Certificate and a letter informing them about my change of civil status. But it didn't show up in my CIC documents until I change my passport into my married name. I applied extension of WOrk Permit 1 year ago using my SINGLE NAME passport together I enclosed a copy of my marriage certificate but still they issued me a NEW WORK PERMIT under my single name(they based on the passport details I submitted). But last April 2012 as I can see it now on my ECAS since I applied OWP/PR application using my MARRIED NAME PASSPORT (CIC changed it already into my married name). In short you can write to CIC and attach your Marriage Certificate that you already get married but they won't change your name on their/CIC documents until you will renew your passport into your married name. So better renew your passport first. In my case I have to renew my Work Permit extension first before I applied for passport renewal because if I were to compute the processing time for passport renewal it will be too late to apply for extension of WP and I might get into trouble losing my status since my wp at that time will soon be expiring.
Thank you so much honeysweetie for sharing...yap i think so too...have to change passport status before confirming the CIC, after all i am planning to renew passport as will expired on july 2013...however, although i think it is so much waiting if i will apply OWP, but should i go ahead to apply my OWP while my passport is under processed for renewal? (because i was supposed to apply as early as possible....i will be 2 yrs this november, but basing on the new rules released on processing OWP is whenever you have 3900 hrs, we are able to apply our paper..) I do appreciate if you could share what you knew about processing OWP, my work permit will expired on july 2013(they based on my passport expiration) i knew how long may it take before you get the approve of your OWP..so it is really frustrating..

also, any idea how can i start the process of renewing passport? Should i call the philippine consulate before hand and ask for application so that they will email it to me? or do they need my presence? (our philippine consulate office for Ontario is in Toronto, and i am miles away, i live in Sioux Look out ON..24 hrs travel if we take train to Toronto) do you think it is possible if i can just call them and send me an application?...thank you for HELP..:)

mytammy

Star Member
Sep 10, 2011
Hi Adhelsky, my passport and WP will also expiry on July 2013 and I also want to apply for passport. Can CIC have online application for OWP or do I need to send paper application? Do you know how much to pay? Thanks guys.

Adhelsky

Feb 5, 2012
mytammy said:
Hi Adhelsky, my passport and WP will also expiry on July 2013 and I also want to apply for passport. Can CIC have online application for OWP or do I need to send paper application? Do you know how much to pay? Thanks guys.
Hello mytammy, i called the Philippine consulate how should i apply for renewal( also inquired about the changing of my family name)...I was told that, as for me as a married recently, i need to get marriage contract from NSO and my existing documents(old passport) to present to the office...and they your presence when renewing your passport, and I don't know how much the cost of renewing passport...For applying of OWP, i had no Idea yet how should i do it too, i heard that you can download the application Online then fill up the form before you send it. Anyone who could give us the idea when applying for residency? thanks guys:)

mytammy

Star Member
Sep 10, 2011
Hi Adhelsky, I already go to philipine embassy and I renew my passport. I bring with me my old passport, marriage certificate from NSO, xerox copy of work permit and I pay $69 cash because they not accept debit or credit card. It's like Philipines the service nobody smile all simangot. Even toilet no flush hahaha so funny.

When I received my new passport I will start my file for OWP/PR so I hope you can share to me how to file. Take care guys and I pray we all have our OWP/PR soon and our family join us here. :)

Adhelsky

Feb 5, 2012
mytammy said:
Hi Adhelsky, I already go to philipine embassy and I renew my passport. I bring with me my old passport, marriage certificate from NSO, xerox copy of work permit and I pay $69 cash because they not accept debit or credit card. It's like Philipines the service nobody smile all simangot. Even toilet no flush hahaha so funny.

When I received my new passport I will start my file for OWP/PR so I hope you can share to me how to file. Take care guys and I pray we all have our OWP/PR soon and our family join us here. :)
Hi mytammy...thank u for sharing...saan ka ba banda? i have not renewed my passport yet, when i called the embassy their schedule here in winnipeg will be in either october or november...so that's long time to wait...(ano pa nga ba magagawa natin:( kng ganun ang sestema) buti ka pa....i am aware of those people in embassy...i was told to be humble if i called the Philippine consulate...and they're right...suplada nga yng nakausap ko....that is why....i end up asking 1 question where in my list i have 4 questions...payabangan yata tao dito...i just hope more information from you when you got your passport...thanks again...hope to hear more from u...God Bless...have a good weekend!

cutepinay

Star Member
Mar 29, 2013
alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 23, 2013
mytammy said:
Thanks honeysweetie for your advised. If I change my passport to my MARRIED name then my visa will not be valid anymore because my visa is my SINGLE name and also my current WP is also my SINGLE name. Do you think if I changed my passport to MARRIED name I can still go home to my home country using my SINGLE name visa and WP? I so confused.

hi can anyone answer this question ?? i am so confused too ...this thing is about to happen to me when i come home after my wedding ...

also anyone ... i will book my flight with my maiden name ...and then go home to home country get married then apply for renewal of passport using MARRIED NAME .. will this affect my ticket ? when my itinerary is my Maiden Name then my passport is my Married NAme

PLEASE HELP :eek:

mytammy

Star Member
Sep 10, 2011
cutepinay said:
hi can anyone answer this question ?? i am so confused too ...this thing is about to happen to me when i come home after my wedding ...

also anyone ... i will book my flight with my maiden name ...and then go home to home country get married then apply for renewal of passport using MARRIED NAME .. will this affect my ticket ? when my itinerary is my Maiden Name then my passport is my Married NAme

PLEASE HELP :eek:
Hi Cutepinay, I hope my response is not too late. If you go home and get married do not change passport to married name because your ticket must match your passport name. They not accept marriage certificate to match SINGLE name in ticket and MARRIED name in passport. Just change passport when you come back to Canada. I hope this help.

cutepinay

Star Member
Mar 29, 2013
alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 23, 2013
mytammy said:
Hi Cutepinay, I hope my response is not too late. If you go home and get married do not change passport to married name because your ticket must match your passport name. They not accept marriage certificate to match SINGLE name in ticket and MARRIED name in passport. Just change passport when you come back to Canada. I hope this help.
yes mytammy ... :) after hours of searching before yah i got that in mind too ... i wont change my passport when i come home ...thanks too for youor time replying im coming home october 24 cheers god bless :D

mytammy

Star Member
Sep 10, 2011
Hi again Cutepinay how much you pay for TRV? You still remember how to apply for TRV because I want to apply too. You send paper application yeah? Thanks