+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changing name after submitting application

laraibarrola

Oct 2, 2018
Hi,

My husband's application was sent early September 2018. My name that was is the application is still my maiden name. Is it okay to change my name to my husband's last name even if i used my maiden name on our application, or should I just wait for everything to finish before doing that?

Thanks! God speed!

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
its not mandatory you change your maiden name......however, if you want your PR visa to be issued in your husband surname, you will have to inform IRCC of change in surname and also have a new travel passport with your new surname (i.e., your husband name)

laraibarrola

Oct 2, 2018
its not mandatory you change your maiden name......however, if you want your PR visa to be issued in your husband surname, you will have to inform IRCC of change in surname and also have a new travel passport with your new surname (i.e., your husband name)
Actually, my husband is the applicant, I am the sponsor. So is it okay? Thanks for your response!

Longroadtoimmigration

Sep 19, 2018
App. Filed.......
September 19th 2018
Interview........
I rebuke it ijn
LANDED..........
I shall testify
You will need to do a legal name change . And then inform them I believe

starnaenae

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2016
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
March 1 2017
Doc's Request.
March 27, 2017, July 10, 2017
AOR Received.
AOR 1:March 17 2017 AOR 2: May 10, 2017
File Transfer...
April 8, 2017
Med's Request
Upfront - PASSED
Med's Done....
December 12 2016
Interview........
NOT REQUIRED
Passport Req..
March 5, 2018
VISA ISSUED...
March 13, 2018
LANDED..........
April 30, 2018
I was the sponsor and changed my name throughout the process. No legal name change was needed. I had to provide my marriage certificate to change my ohip and license. The bank also needed this. My passport needed my marriage certificate as well as a signature from a guarentor staring that they know me as my maiden name ... work needed a marriage certificate as well. Everything rlse i just emailed like insurance, cable, etc

Longroadtoimmigration

Sep 19, 2018
App. Filed.......
September 19th 2018
Interview........
I rebuke it ijn
LANDED..........
I shall testify
The legal name immigration still refers you has is still your name known.
I don't know about ur province but it In Albert it takes more than a marriage certificate to changes your name with immigration. There is even a fingerprint and background check with it

Hay04

Star Member
May 24, 2017
Calgary
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Accra
App. Filed.......
20-07-2018
AOR Received.
09-11-2018
File Transfer...
27-11-2018
The legal name immigration still refers you has is still your name known.
I don't know about ur province but it In Albert it takes more than a marriage certificate to changes your name with immigration. There is even a fingerprint and background check with it
You don't need a legal name change if you're changing your last name due to marriage. I'm in Alberta and i just changed my last name, all they need is the marriage certificate.

Longroadtoimmigration

Sep 19, 2018
App. Filed.......
September 19th 2018
Interview........
I rebuke it ijn
LANDED..........
I shall testify
You don't need a legal name change if you're changing your last name due to marriage. I'm in Alberta and i just changed my last name, all they need is the marriage certificate.
I thought same too. I went to the registry , gave them my marriage certificate, they changed my name on my drivers licence. And then I applied for immigration papers with my married name and immigration sent correspondence to submit my legal name change . I had to tell them to leave as is .
I went back to registry and they told me to go do it.
I'm only talking from experience.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I thought same too. I went to the registry , gave them my marriage certificate, they changed my name on my drivers licence. And then I applied for immigration papers with my married name and immigration sent correspondence to submit my legal name change . I had to tell them to leave as is .
I went back to registry and they told me to go do it.
I'm only talking from experience.
It's similar for BC. If I only want to change to my husband's lastname for driver's license, health card...etc. Then I do not need a legal name change.
BUT if I need to change my citizenship certificate/card...etc. Then I need a legal name change. I believe that involved fingerprint as well.

There are only a couple of circumstances in which you would need a legal change of name to take a spouse's name:
  • If you want to create a new surname by adding your birth surname as a middle name;
  • If you want to update your immigration or citizenship documents to reflect a new name or a married surname.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Actually, my husband is the applicant, I am the sponsor. So is it okay? Thanks for your response!
Yes, it is perfectly fine for you to change to your married name. Zero effect on the app. Just send IRCC a Webform with a copy of an updated ID.