Med's Done....
16-08-2011
Passport Req..
01-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
01-01-2012
LANDED..........
20-01-2012
I wanted to change my name when I applied. Some suggested that, it will delay the process. So I didn't. Just wondering, is it easy to change my name after I get citizenship and passport? What is the procedure?

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
sinpguy said:
I wanted to change my name when I applied. Some suggested that, it will delay the process. So I didn't. Just wondering, is it easy to change my name after I get citizenship and passport? What is the procedure?
Once you obtain citizenship, then you may apply for name change in the province you live and then apply for canadian passport with new name and also get your provincial IDs changed after legally changing your name. It time it takes to change the name depends upon the requirements of changing the name (may differ from province to province)

eltorpe

Star Member
Jan 6, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thecoolguysam said:
Once you obtain citizenship, then you may apply for name change in the province you live and then apply for canadian passport with new name and also get your provincial IDs changed after legally changing your name. It time it takes to change the name depends upon the requirements of changing the name (may differ from province to province)
You actually cannot apply for a Canadian passport in the new name until you change your citizenship certificate as well so, if you are intending to change your name after receiving your citizenship, you should obtain a Canadian passport in your current name first before changing the name on your other provincial identification (as you will need a supporting ID in the same name as your citizenship certificate for your passport application). Note that it will take about 5 months to get a new citizenship certificate in the new name - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/certif-processing.asp

From http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/notices/2014-09-18.asp:

New requirements for legal name changes
If you are applying for a new passport following a legal name change, you must first update your proof of Canadian citizenship (i.e. your birth certificate in Canada or your Canadian Citizenship Certificate) to reflect your new legal name.

sinpguy

Jul 3, 2011
Saskatoon
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-01-2011
Nomination.....
15-12-2010
AOR Received.
25-07-2011 (by email)
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
02-08-2011
Med's Done....
16-08-2011
Passport Req..
01-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
01-01-2012
LANDED..........
20-01-2012
Thanks both of you. Yes I will do as suggested.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
eltorpe said:
You actually cannot apply for a Canadian passport in the new name until you change your citizenship certificate as well so, if you are intending to change your name after receiving your citizenship, you should obtain a Canadian passport in your current name first before changing the name on your other provincial identification (as you will need a supporting ID in the same name as your citizenship certificate for your passport application). Note that it will take about 5 months to get a new citizenship certificate in the new name - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/certif-processing.asp

If you are applying for a new passport following a legal name change, you must first update your proof of Canadian citizenship (i.e. your birth certificate in Canada or your Canadian Citizenship Certificate) to reflect your new legal name.
What about people who got married? I would think they can update their Canadian Passport to reflect new marriage name without resorting to changing the legal name on Canadian Citizenship Certificate.

eltorpe

Star Member
Jan 6, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
screech339 said:
What about people who got married? I would think they can update their Canadian Passport to reflect new marriage name without resorting to changing the legal name on Canadian Citizenship Certificate.
If you had clicked on the link I referenced above, you would have found your answer :) Just saying.

People who wish to use their partner's last name may do so without changing their citizenship certificate as long as they can produce supporting ID in the requested name.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
eltorpe said:

Thanks for Sharing the links.

I thought that legal name change certificate will suffice the need but Passport Canada requires citizenship certificate to be changed with the new name before applying for canadian passport

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
eltorpe said:
If you had clicked on the link I referenced above, you would have found your answer :) Just saying.

People who wish to use their partner's last name may do so without changing their citizenship certificate as long as they can produce supporting ID in the requested name.
I figured you are able to change your last name on your passport without any issues with Canadian Certificate name.

This is why my wife's name still has her maiden name since her PR card and IDs all have her maiden name. Once she gets her Canadian certificate when the time comes, she only need to show her marriage certificate and Canadian certificate. We will also change her SIN/Drivers Licence/Health Card to her marriage name if need be.

Mb80

Sep 3, 2019
I recently got my name legally changed after receiving my citizenship certificate. I was wondering if i can apply for a passport without changing my name on citizenship certificate first. I have updated my name in my drivers licence and health care though. Please its urgent. Thank you in advance.

BA2LAMAZ

Champion Member
Feb 25, 2016
I recently got my name legally changed after receiving my citizenship certificate. I was wondering if i can apply for a passport without changing my name on citizenship certificate first. I have updated my name in my drivers licence and health care though. Please its urgent. Thank you in advance.

I really would like to know the answer as well. Please kindly share when you find out. Thanks!

dbss

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
I really would like to know the answer as well. Please kindly share when you find out. Thanks!
It is tough to say because you updated your Driver's license already and that was one piece of ID I provided when going for my CDN passport. If you can satisfy all the requirements for the ID, I do not see why you cannot apply. If you should or not, is a separate question.

Reactions: Mb80

BA2LAMAZ

Champion Member
Feb 25, 2016
It is tough to say because you updated your Driver's license already and that was one piece of ID I provided when going for my CDN passport. If you can satisfy all the requirements for the ID, I do not see why you cannot apply. If you should or not, is a separate question.

Sorry I'm not quite sure I understood you. I have not changed my IDs.
My own situation is that I will likely have my Citizenship Cert. before my wedding next year and I want my passport to be in my fiance's last name. So the concern is, do I just show my marriage certificate along with my Citizenship certificate OR do I also include an ID in my husband's last name?

Reactions: Mb80

dreematt

Star Member
May 24, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
March 17, 2015
Med's Done....
Jan 2015 (Up Front)
Sorry I'm not quite sure I understood you. I have not changed my IDs.
My own situation is that I will likely have my Citizenship Cert. before my wedding next year and I want my passport to be in my fiance's last name. So the concern is, do I just show my marriage certificate along with my Citizenship certificate OR do I also include an ID in my husband's last name?
Hi, I really wish you can help me out too.

Im really confused with my situation so I am really hoping you can help me out?

So I already received AOR of my citizenship application, if I want to change my last name as I am still using the last name of my ex husband, I have the divorce certificate that is granted here in Alberta, can I change my last name before reaching a decision to my application? I was thinking to wait till I received my certificate of citizenship when the time comes then have them change my surname back to my fathers surname.

I am also a Filipino citizen, and I got married back home, ex husband is a Filipino, but filed and granted divorce here in Canada. I know that once became a Canadian citizen I automatically renounce my Filipino Citizenship not unless I apply for dual citizenship is this correct? If this is the case and I want to change my surname back to my fathers surname, can I do so without having any complications entering Philippines one day with a Canadian passport and my name being switch back to fathers surname since I am a Canadian citizen on that time anyway?

I really hope I am making sense with what I am seeking advice with. Thank you so much in advance for helping me out with this.

light777

Jan 23, 2021
Hi. May i know what solution you came up with. I am facing the same issue with the name change. received certificate. how to updated driver licence and healthcare names easily? did you applied for legal name change or just with 2 piece of identity? did you received passport with new name without changing certificate? Please advice. Thank you in advance.

light777

Jan 23, 2021
Hi, I really wish you can help me out too.

Im really confused with my situation so I am really hoping you can help me out?

So I already received AOR of my citizenship application, if I want to change my last name as I am still using the last name of my ex husband, I have the divorce certificate that is granted here in Alberta, can I change my last name before reaching a decision to my application? I was thinking to wait till I received my certificate of citizenship when the time comes then have them change my surname back to my fathers surname.

I am also a Filipino citizen, and I got married back home, ex husband is a Filipino, but filed and granted divorce here in Canada. I know that once became a Canadian citizen I automatically renounce my Filipino Citizenship not unless I apply for dual citizenship is this correct? If this is the case and I want to change my surname back to my fathers surname, can I do so without having any complications entering Philippines one day with a Canadian passport and my name being switch back to fathers surname since I am a Canadian citizen on that time anyway?

I really hope I am making sense with what I am seeking advice with. Thank you so much in advance for helping me out with this.
similar situation to yours. what you did then? I received certificate with married name. but need passport in my original name. birthcertificate have my father's name. Thank you in advance. Appritiate your help.