+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changing intended place of settlement to Québec? Trouble?

GuerricH

Aug 29, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-02-2012
AOR Received.
12-06-2012
File Transfer...
17-07-2012
Med's Done....
21-11-2011
So we've encountered something of a problem. My girlfriend and I originally planned to move to Vancouver soon after she got her Permanent Residency card, so I could study and she could work. We had some savings in the bank to help us establish ourselves there, of course. On our application, we gave Vancouver as our destination, but wrote an extra note to the immigration officer that we would be staying at my parents' home for a while before moving out to Vancouver, while we waited for the approval and then organized our move to Vancouver.

Unfortunately, not too long ago an accident occurred which we were not insured against, and which ended up obliterating much of our savings. We survived financially, but just barely, and we're in no position to start renting apartments without any kind of work (especially not in Vancouver!). To help us get back on our feet, my parents have offered to let us live with them for 6-8 months, so we can work and save all our earnings during that time period before moving to BC. We're very grateful, as we'd do well to build up some savings again.

Unfortunately, my parents live in Gatineau, QC (just across the river/border from Ottawa). What we're worried about is the whole Québec side of things; whether writing to the embassy in Vienna and telling them we are actually going to settle in Québec first will somehow compromise our application; whether they will turn down our application or make life difficult because my girlfriend's French is minimal at best; how long the CSQ application will draw out the process, and whether it's too late to apply; whether it makes a difference if we only take up employment in Ontario and not in Québec; etc.

Is changing our intentions to Québec too problematic? If so, what are our other options? I have an aunt in Vancouver who might take us in for some time, but that's no sure bet, as she's got lots of personal stuff going on at the moment (her husband has worsening Parkinson's and she's just rediscovered the son she gave up for adoption), and it's expensive to shuttle there and back, even just once. We're not opposed to shelling out to make sure our application is a success, but we need to manage our resources carefully. We could alternatively stay with friends of my father's in Ottawa, but that couldn't last too long either, since we don't want to abuse people's generosity.

We're not really sure what the best course of action here is. What would you suggest?

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
Well now, let's suppose your savings were depleted only the "day after" your PR card arrived . . . you would have your PR card and unable to move right? (Nothing in the rules about that, is there?) See where I'm going with this? It seems to me, the next thing that's going to happen with your application once approved is that she will receive her visa/PR card. A lawyer might beg to differ, but how about . . . "say nothing" and let the cookie crumble where it may . . .

GuerricH

Aug 29, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-02-2012
AOR Received.
12-06-2012
File Transfer...
17-07-2012
Med's Done....
21-11-2011
Hm, while I see what you're getting at, I'd rather not do anything that would jeopardize our PR card. Then again, I have heard of people moving to somewhere in Ontario and then moving to Québec almost immediately afterwards without trouble, and AFAIK it's perfectly within the legal rights of a Permanent Resident to reside in Québec, regardless of where they originally intended to settle. I just want to avoid doing anything potentially risky.

We could always stay somewhere in Ottawa for a week instead or so, and then move to Québec. Would a hotel or something be sufficient?

Come to think of it, once she has her PR card, where do things go from there? Does she have to report to CIC every time she moves, or give them status updates at regular intervals? Or is she free to do as she pleases until the checkup five (?) years later where they decide whether or not to extend her PR?

GuerricH

Aug 29, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-02-2012
AOR Received.
12-06-2012
File Transfer...
17-07-2012
Med's Done....
21-11-2011
For that matter, would it really be that much of a hassle to get the CSQ? As I understand it, you aren't supposed to apply for it anyway until your sponsorship application was approved...