+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changing field of study - convincing VO

ellipse23

Jul 7, 2016
Hello, after reading posts on this forum regarding rejection of study permit applications and its reasons, it seems that the proposed field of study in Canada not being in line with previous study and work experience is a common reason. I am a little concerned because I have been admitted to a physics masters program in Canada but my past degrees are in engineering. My bachelors degree is in mechanical engineering from India and my masters degree is in mechanical engineering from the United States. After graduating, I briefly worked at my Masters university as a research assistant. After that, I worked as a software engineer and maintenance engineer. I plan to apply for a PhD program after my masters.

Should I make it a point to explain my reasons for changing my field? Can you please tell me any specific aspects I should address that might convince the visa officer of the change.

Thanks.

asifssds

May 29, 2016
Islamabad
Category........
Visa Office......
Abudhabi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-06-2016
Doc's Request.
30-06-2016
File Transfer...
01-07-2016
Med's Request
Not yet
For PhD changing field and all do not matter at all. Just get approved in PhD program and your visa will be confirmed. Take care of the financial matter as well, as this could be the only challenge after admission in PhD

ellipse23

Jul 7, 2016
asifssds said:
For PhD changing field and all do not matter at all. Just get approved in PhD program and your visa will be confirmed. Take care of the financial matter as well, as this could be the only challenge after admission in PhD
Thanks! But I am currently admitted to a masters program in physics with a background in engineering. I will be pursuing a PhD (not sure where, at the moment) after my masters in physics

mihachris

May 5, 2016
My Bachelor's is Computer Engineering but I applied for a study permit while I've been accepted for a Concept Art degree in College. So I'm changing from Engineering to Concept Art.

What I did is to explain in detail why I changed my field, provided proof that art is a passion of mine and gave reasons why I chose that particular school in the letter of explanation.
Haven't got any decision yet on my permit, but as soon as I do I will let you know.

Fingers crossed, they will accept me!

Reactions: RajdeepC

ellipse23

Jul 7, 2016
mihachris said:
What I did is to explain in detail why I changed my field, provided proof that art is a passion of mine and gave reasons why I chose that particular school in the letter of explanation.
Thanks a bunch! This really helps me. I had taken physics graduate classes at a university last semester to help me prepare for the Canadian program in physics. May be I could include that info in the letter of explanation. When did you apply for the study permit? offline or online? And good luck to you!

mihachris

May 5, 2016
ellipse23 said:
Thanks a bunch! This really helps me. I had taken physics graduate classes at a university last semester to help me prepare for the Canadian program in physics. May be I could include that info in the letter of explanation. When did you apply for the study permit? offline or online? And good luck to you!
Definitely explain in detail why you changed your field and maybe even attach whatever proof you have about that (like proof of attendance of the physics classes). Also, it would be helpful if you gave reasons about why you are attending that particular school in Canada and not something in your country. And definitely talk about your future plans and what you intend to do after the degree. Generally, explain everything you feel needs further elaboration to convince them. I wrote 1 page and a half as a letter of explanation.

I applied online on 29 June, processing time is 2 weeks according to CIC. Good luck with your application!

Reactions: RajdeepC

royosama

May 29, 2024
I have completed a Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery(MBBS) from Pakistan. Now, I have been admitted to a Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering at the University of Sherbrooke on a fully funded position. The reason for being accepted for this position is that I have good hands-on experience with making biomedical devices as a hobby and the project is related to development of biomedical devices and also involves some clinical trials.
Will I face any problems with my study permit via SDS due to this dramatic change of fields? What should I write in my SOP and what are the documents that I should upload in additional documents section?

forevermore76

Star Member
May 19, 2024
I have completed a Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery(MBBS) from Pakistan. Now, I have been admitted to a Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering at the University of Sherbrooke on a fully funded position. The reason for being accepted for this position is that I have good hands-on experience with making biomedical devices as a hobby and the project is related to development of biomedical devices and also involves some clinical trials.
Will I face any problems with my study permit via SDS due to this dramatic change of fields? What should I write in my SOP and what are the documents that I should upload in additional documents section?
I would mention exactly the reason you have posted above and supplement the SOP with recommendation letters from current/past academic professors, etc who can vouch for your interests. All the best!

royosama

May 29, 2024
Okay, Thanks. Should I mention about reasons for returning to my home country after my PhD in my SOP? Many people say that you must include this in your SOP but I think that visa officers already know that these are just lame reasons.

forevermore76

Star Member
May 19, 2024
Okay, Thanks. Should I mention about reasons for returning to my home country after my PhD in my SOP? Many people say that you must include this in your SOP but I think that visa officers already know that these are just lame reasons.
I agree it sounds lame but they are required to establish that FN will leave Canada at end of studies. It's established through ties with home country based on overall application but adding a few sentences won't hurt.