+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changing family name in passport

Rinka567

Star Member
May 30, 2018
Hello! Just wondering which is better to submit the application without updating the passport yet for change of family name or it is better to update the passport before applying for spousal visa. It s just taking so much time to change passpor and IDs so we are thinking to submit the application first then just send the copy of changed passport to cic later. Thanks for your advice.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello! Just wondering which is better to submit the application without updating the passport yet for change of family name or it is better to update the passport before applying for spousal visa. It s just taking so much time to change passpor and IDs so we are thinking to submit the application first then just send the copy of changed passport to cic later. Thanks for your advice.
Hi

Just apply now and change it later. No issue.

Rinka567

Star Member
May 30, 2018
Thank you so much we are just wondering about the police clearance and application forms. Will it not be affected if later on I'll be changing my family name. Because if we submit now then it means I'm putting my maiden's name on the forms and police clearance. Then later on when I update my status and passport I'll have it changed into my husband's family name. Is there anyone who has gone through the same experience? Thanks a lot for your help.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you so much we are just wondering about the police clearance and application forms. Will it not be affected if later on I'll be changing my family name. Because if we submit now then it means I'm putting my maiden's name on the forms and police clearance. Then later on when I update my status and passport I'll have it changed into my husband's family name. Is there anyone who has gone through the same experience? Thanks a lot for your help.
No effect. IRCC will just update your name.