+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changing education information post-ITA

indigo87

Mar 21, 2017
Hi All,

I need your kind guidance about possibly changing my spouse's education information post-ITA. My spouse has two post-secondary qualifications

1) A two years "Bachelor of Arts" degree (in my country, a bachelor degree can be of two years)
2) A one year program titled "Bachelor of Education" (B.Ed)

WES evaluated the first qualification as "Two years Diploma". To my surprise, they evaluated the second qualification as "Three years Diploma". The summary was "Two years diploma and Three years diploma".

In the EE profile, when asked about "level of education" for the first degree, I selected "Bachelor's degree OR a three or more year program at a university, college, trade or technical school, or other institute". I assumed that the system was referring to education level in the home country. When asked in the following rows about how WES evaluated the qualification, I mentioned correctly as "Two years Diploma".

Similarly, I selected "one year program" as level of education for second qualification and when asked about how WES evaluated it, I mentioned "Three years Diploma" (although it did not make sense to me how they evaluated a one year program as a three year diploma).

The EE system awarded me 8 points for spouse education. I was anticipating either 9 points (if the system went by WES evaluation summary) or 7 points (if the system recognized only the first qualification and discarded the second). But I guess that the system combined the two qualifications to make it a "three years program".

My first question is, was I correct in assuming that the level of education was what it means in the country where the study was undertaken, since the Canadian equivalence of the qualification was asked separately? If not, should I change the level of education to "two years program" and not "Bachelor Degree". It is pertinent to note that my cut-off score is quite higher than the cut-off score and I would still be above the cut-off even if I remove my spouse's credentials altogether.

My second question is, how you think EE system calculated those 8 points? Finally, why you think WES evaluated a one year program as a three years diploma?

P.S. Apologies for this long post. I could not figure out a way to communicate it succinctly. Thanks in advance!

romeo2529

Star Member
Jun 18, 2016
I would select 2 years and 1 year course for degree 1 and 2 regardless of Wes evaluation. If you are still above the cutoff you should be fine. I am not an expert though but wait till other members also guide you

greengoo5

Star Member
Aug 31, 2016
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
romeo2529 said:
I would select 2 years and 1 year course for degree 1 and 2 regardless of Wes evaluation. If you are still above the cutoff you should be fine. I am not an expert though but wait till other members also guide you
You have to stick with the WES evaluation. The EE system awards you points for Canadian Equivalency of your education and not the value of your credentials in your home country.

I'ts not a matter of accumulating points. You should be as fair and transparent as possible because even a single misrepresentation can hurt your case adversely.

indigo87

Mar 21, 2017
greengoo5 said:
You have to stick with the WES evaluation. The EE system awards you points for Canadian Equivalency of your education and not the value of your credentials in your home country.

I'ts not a matter of accumulating points. You should be as fair and transparent as possible because even a single misrepresentation can hurt your case adversely.
Thanks! Perhaps I could not communicate my issue correctly. I mentioned the WES equivalence as it was. There were two separate heads: 1) Level of education and 2) Level of Education (Canadian Equivalence). It is just that I mentioned "level of education" as Bachelors (which is indeed the case in my country; as you can see, even the title of degree is Bachelor of Arts). On the other hand, I mentioned "Level of Education (Canadian Equivalence)" as "two years program/diploma etc.", as reported by WES.

My question is, was I correct in mentioning the qualification as Bachelors in the "Level of education" head?

greengoo5

Star Member
Aug 31, 2016
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The level of education you should be mentioning is the Canadian Equivalency. That's the whole point of the exercise.

CIC doesn't care if it was a 5 years course if WES believes it's equivalent to a two year diploma.

If WES says it's equivalent to a two year diploma. Two year diploma goes on the application.

chikoo1985

May 20, 2017
I have got mixed answer for below so I am still confused. Posting here again to see if I get some concrete answer.

My spouse has 2 bachelor certificates. BioMed Engineering and B.B.A. BBA is correspondence.

PRE ITA:
I have mentioned Biomed Engineering and skipped BBA just to keep it simple.
Unfortunately, I can not get the certificate from India and no one is there to send me the scanned copy before the deadline.

Question:
I have received my ITA, can I change the education to BBA? I have scanned copy of this but certificate is in India. This way I can upload all document before Deadline and got it shipped when my family is back at home.

Either way I am NOT claiming any points since I did not got it evaluated.

Thanks,
Chikoo