+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changing DLI

Oct 18, 2021
I am really confused and want to make things clear for me. I will be applying for Masters (Fall 2022 Intake) but then eventually i want to change dli and pursue my studies by choosing a normal Diploma program of 2 years. Just to make things(PGWP/PR) easier. Say after i arrive in Canada and after i acquired my study permit. I have 3 questions:

1. As per new rules: To change DLI it is mentioned.
YOU MUST BE ACTIVELY PURSUING STUDIES TO CHANGE DLI. NEED TO PAY 1 SEM OR 1 YEAR FEE depending on University.

Does this mean that i can only change dli once i complete the semester or i can change Midway? Lets say... Is it possible to change after 1 month of attending classes? Will that be a problem?

Because a few people are telling me i need to finish 1 semester of 6 months atleast. Which would be a hassle and waste of time.

2. Existing Uni Issues: Will my EXISTING Uni/DLI create problems with my study permit as they are going to lose a seat as i am going to change program and college.

3. Process of Changing: Do i just get an offer letter from new college and update in GCKEY or i have to justify things with existing university and give reasons/withdraw/take leave application/deal with documentation. I mean how to make things work out in my case??

Kindly help

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am really confused and want to make things clear for me. I will be applying for Masters (Fall 2022 Intake) but then eventually i want to change dli and pursue my studies by choosing a normal Diploma program of 2 years. Just to make things(PGWP/PR) easier. Say after i arrive in Canada and after i acquired my study permit. I have 3 questions:

YOU MUST BE ACTIVELY PURSUING STUDIES TO CHANGE DLI. NEED TO PAY 1 SEM OR 1 YEAR FEE depending on University.

Does this mean that i can only change dli once i complete the semester or i can change Midway? Lets say... Is it possible to change after 1 month of attending classes? Will that be a problem?

Because a few people are telling me i need to finish 1 semester of 6 months atleast. Which would be a hassle and waste of time.

2. Existing Uni Issues: Will my EXISTING Uni/DLI create problems with my study permit as they are going to lose a seat as i am going to change program and college.

3. Process of Changing: Do i just get an offer letter from new college and update in GCKEY or i have to justify things with existing university and give reasons/withdraw/take leave application/deal with documentation. I mean how to make things work out in my case??

Kindly help
1. You would need to complete a semester before changing. If you don't want to complete a full semester, then switch schools now and apply for a new study permit based on your new school and program.
2. No.
3. You don't have to justify anything with your current university. You just wouldn't enroll in the second semester with the university and switch to the college then.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020

Kindly help
1. Actively studying is completing a semester or year and then changing DLI. You will have received your study permit based on doing a Masters not a diploma. So attend for a semester or year and then change, wait to see if change is approved. Going for a month is not actively studying. You want to show that you paid fees for a semester/year.
2. Depends on the school
3. You need a new letter to update. IRCC will determine if approved as IRCC is trying to discourage people from “downgrading” a program when you were supposed to do a masters. If you already have reasons for withdrawal then don’t apply for a Masters, get a study permit for the diploma program.

Reactions: scylla
Oct 18, 2021
1. Actively studying is completing a semester or year and then changing DLI. You will have received your study permit based on doing a Masters not a diploma. So attend for a semester or year and then change, wait to see if change is approved. Going for a month is not actively studying. You want to show that you paid fees for a semester/year.
2. Depends on the school
3. You need a new letter to update. IRCC will determine if approved as IRCC is trying to discourage people from “downgrading” a program when you were supposed to do a masters. If you already have reasons for withdrawal then don’t apply for a Masters, get a study permit for the diploma program.
1. What if i pay the amount and not ask for a refund. Basically if i just loose up the money and change will it be fine or the duration of being active for 1 Semester matters?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
1. What if i pay the amount and not ask for a refund. Basically if i just loose up the money and change will it be fine or the duration of being active for 1 Semester matters?
Actively studying means going to class. IRCC could refuse the change in DLI if you don’t pass your classes and/or as listed as non-attending.

Oct 18, 2021
Actively studying means going to class. IRCC could refuse the change in DLI if you don’t pass your classes and/or as listed as non-attending.
Sorry to bother.

What if i dont change DLI... and just change my program from MASTERS to DIPLOMA within the same DLI??

What would be the odds for such case?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Sorry to bother.

What if i dont change DLI... and just change my program from MASTERS to DIPLOMA within the same DLI??

What would be the odds for such case?
You can do that without getting a new study permit.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Ok perfect. But what about the tuition fee i will already be paying for Masters. After changing program within same DLI will i be able to use that fund or there will be some deductions?
You need to talk to the school about that.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You still need to be actively studying to change programs in the school so you’ll still need to complete at least a semester of the masters program. IRCC is looking to crack down on students doing exactly what you are doing or switching schools and attending a much easier program.

Modromodro

Sep 16, 2021
2. Depends on the school
will i have any problem if i’m changing from masters in one dli to another