+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changing dli after visa before landing to canada

Ironclad

Champion Member
Aug 17, 2020
Canada
Can I change my college after getting visa stamp on pp before landing to canada? Do I need to apply for another visa?
A lot of people are changing their DLI now since their intakes are being conducted online (ineligible for PGWP), if it becomes a massive movement obviously IRCC will do something about it i.e banning Quebec colleges which they did recently.

Chirayu189

Jun 13, 2018
Hello,

You don't need to apply for another visa. The only time its advised to change DLI from outside Canada is if you have a tangible reasons to give the CBSA agent at the POE when asked.

However, changing DLI after an approval doesn't directly involve IRCC and you don't need to contact them. What is required from you is to update the new DLI number and other required information on you GcKey account. This can be done at any time but advisably before program start in other to avoid transferring credits from one DLI to another.

I think its best if you initiate the change from within Canada.

Best of Luck
Hii Everyone, Since Johnson, suggested to change the program from within Canada, in that case how it is possible like I am considering to change the institution and the program, in that case I need to have the LOA from the institution I intend to go, and this thing has to be done from my home country or should I first reach Canada before my program starts and then complete the whole process of issuing LOA from the new institution? please guide me here guys. Thanks in advance

yesindian

Dec 3, 2020
Not just that, another reason could be, IRCC suspects a motive behind people who change DLI's in a whole different field of study.

The only reason I had to change DLI was because my previous DLI required my presence in Canada to start inperson classes which was not possible in the time of COVID, also only FALL intake was available and FYI I have changed course to another DLI of the same field, I did not change my field of study.

yesindian

Dec 3, 2020
Definitely a bizarre.. I could see one thing here that application was purely picked up on critical basis where the ircc would understand that the course required in- person attendance hence they pushed it fast among others. The new study plan frustrated the officer. During covid, they were very particular about 'critical files'..But recently approved applications are online based courses. 100% I can assure, it won't be a problem.

I know its such a ultra-rare case to happen. I received another BVL on Dec 7th after that revoked visa mail from the embassy, still I'm waiting for PPR (76 days since BVL)

maricelpba

Star Member
Feb 27, 2020
I know its such a ultra-rare case to happen. I received another BVL on Dec 7th after that revoked visa mail from the embassy, still I'm waiting for PPR (76 days since BVL)
Hello!... May I know if you already received an approval considering the changes you had to make? My husband actually made the same move you did (change in DLI, program is of the same field) and we’re still waiting for the final decision after we sent a webform just 2 weeks ago.

andrews17

Jan 25, 2021
Canada
Category........
PNP
I already got approval for SP. I am considering changing program in the same DLI I originally applied. What should be the process?

lamnt0702

Star Member
Mar 26, 2021
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/change-schools.html

Check the link above. IRCC says to inform them if you change DLI or Program. However, you only need to apply for a new SP if you change your DLI whilst still outside Canada.
Hi Wonderbly,

I have a same question also, after get approval for SP then I want to change my course in different field and length (from 1 year to 2 years course) but in the same College.
When should I change it? Before or after landing in Can?
TIA and have a nice day mate!

Kikoboi

Jul 21, 2019
Hi Wonderbly,

I have a same question also, after get approval for SP then I want to change my course in different field and length (from 1 year to 2 years course) but in the same College.
When should I change it? Before or after landing in Can?
TIA and have a nice day mate!
You're not changing DLI just the program within the same DLI so you don't need to inform IRCC as per the IRCC guidelines. But it is best to change it inside Canada from what I know.

Reactions: lamnt0702