+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changing dli after visa before landing to canada

Asmii

Star Member
Nov 9, 2019
Can I change my college after getting visa stamp on pp before landing to canada? Do I need to apply for another visa?

janfly

Nov 30, 2020
Not necessary for new application. Visa is a travel document and nothing to do with DLI. If your new course and duration is almost similar to the original DLI and course filed for SP, you can explain to IO at POE. Your study permit will be issued at the POE hence if any much deviation from the original SP application will trouble you. Be cautious that you have taken similar course with same duration matching your original SP application.

Asmii

Star Member
Nov 9, 2019
Not necessary for new application. Visa is a travel document and nothing to do with DLI. If your new course and duration is almost similar to the original DLI and course filed for SP, you can explain to IO at POE. Your study permit will be issued at the POE hence if any much deviation from the original SP application will trouble you. Be cautious that you have taken similar course with same duration matching your original SP application.
What if my course length doesn't match in that case I have to apply for visa again?

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
It was for 16month master now I want to got for post graduate certificate
I believe at the border CBSA might issue you same length as initially and then you would have to extend your study permit.
And as mentioned before, the officers might ask you questions as to why you're changing courses.

Is it in the same field ?

Asmii

Star Member
Nov 9, 2019
I believe at the border CBSA might issue you same length as initially and then you would have to extend your study permit.
And as mentioned before, the officers might ask you questions as to why you're changing courses.

Is it in the same field ?
it's not exactly same but almost similar

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
it's not exactly same but almost similar
Alright, again CBSA officers might ask you questions, just be prepared etc.
Get the LOA from new DLI and keep it ready to present at the border.

Johnsnow 007

Champion Member
Jan 6, 2018
Nigeria
Can I change my college after getting visa stamp on pp before landing to canada? Do I need to apply for another visa?
Hello,

You don't need to apply for another visa. The only time its advised to change DLI from outside Canada is if you have a tangible reasons to give the CBSA agent at the POE when asked.

However, changing DLI after an approval doesn't directly involve IRCC and you don't need to contact them. What is required from you is to update the new DLI number and other required information on you GcKey account. This can be done at any time but advisably before program start in other to avoid transferring credits from one DLI to another.

I think its best if you initiate the change from within Canada.

Best of Luck

Reactions: Uvr

Ironclad

Champion Member
Aug 17, 2020
Canada
Your visa may get invalidated by the VO since it's believed that there is a recent clampdown. It's up to you to take the decision.

Last edited:

janfly

Nov 30, 2020

Ironclad

Champion Member
Aug 17, 2020
Canada
Hello members,

I applied in a college for September 2020 intake but the college required my presence to start the course in Canada as my course was blended but due to COVID I couldn't get the visa or was it possible to travel, I was left with no-option other than changing my college/course then I changed my college and uploaded the new LOA with supporting documents such as EXPLANATION LETTER to IRCC using the webform then even the embassy acknowledged that my new LOA has been received at the IRCC office and will be transferred to the relevant team. as the days pass on I continued to receive updates without any issue such as Medical, AIP, did my biometrics as well... after so much struggle and patience then at-last I even got my big news of BVL and OPR... I also gave my passport for stamping and got it back... after 10 days of passport stamp, then the twist came knocking the doors of sadness...

I received a mail from IRCC saying that
"The new study plan for XXX, will be reviewed by an officer. You will be notified once a decision has been reached on your request.
Please note given this change in your study plan, the visa that was recently issued to you is no longer valid for travel. Please do not attempt to travel to Canada until further notice."

They just snatched all my happiness in one mail... was just speechless of what happened...
I raised webform informing about my new study plan on October 3rd, After receiving OPR on November and stamped passport on November 20th. 15 days later I'm receiving the above mail that my visa has been revoked on December 6th.... I even have booked my flight, made the quarantine plan.. now I dont know how many days its gonna take them to re-evaluate my file..

Now I'm just so confused on what I should be doing....
Again I'm back on the stage 1 of waiting, waiting waiting.....

Has anyone else faced the same issue or is it only me with such rare case scenario...

janfly

Nov 30, 2020
Definitely a bizarre.. I could see one thing here that application was purely picked up on critical basis where the ircc would understand that the course required in- person attendance hence they pushed it fast among others. The new study plan frustrated the officer. During covid, they were very particular about 'critical files'..But recently approved applications are online based courses. 100% I can assure, it won't be a problem.

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
Definitely a bizarre.. I could see one thing here that application was purely picked up on critical basis where the ircc would understand that the course required in- person attendance hence they pushed it fast among others. The new study plan frustrated the officer. During covid, they were very particular about 'critical files'..But recently approved applications are online based courses. 100% I can assure, it won't be a problem.

Not just that, another reason could be, IRCC suspects a motive behind people who change DLI's in a whole different field of study.

monaaziz

Star Member
Oct 11, 2020
Please advise how we can change only the program in the same DLI. For eg from Post-graduate to Masters. The length for PG is 1 year and Masters is 1.5 yrs.