+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changing DLI after landing

Abd301

Apr 3, 2021
Can I change my DLI after I land in Canada and get my study permit but before my classes at the current DLI start? I read on the immigration website that you have to be "actively studying" before transferring your DLI. Does this mean I have to be actually taking classes first at the current DLI before I can transfer?

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
Can I change my DLI after I land in Canada and get my study permit but before my classes at the current DLI start? I read on the immigration website that you have to be "actively studying" before transferring your DLI. Does this mean I have to be actually taking classes first at the current DLI before I can transfer?
Didn't it say must apply new SP?

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
If you are not in Canada then you have to apply again, but if you are inside I am not sure!
If you're inside you have to be actively studying.
So there's no point if someone is out of Canada and wants to change DLI after coming in.

Before you change your school or program, you must meet all the conditions of your study permit. This means you must be:

Reactions: Omerbabiker6

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018

There's no loophole, IRCC has implemented strict measures recently.
You need to apply for a new SP.

If you come in Canada, you have no option other than studying in the DLI that you applied for, and then changing after a semester or so.

Before you change your school or program, you must meet all the conditions of your study permit. This means you must be:

Alexi01

May 14, 2021

If you come in Canada, you have no option other than studying in the DLI that you applied for, and then changing after a semester or so.

But what about. I have completed 1 semester in my current DLI online. I am eligible to change my DLI right?

Reactions: inkpot

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020

What does "actively" studying mean though - Registered? Went to classes for a week? Why should I have to do an entire semester at a school I really don't want to attend anymore just to change?

I don't mind re-applying again and paying the application fees cos I want to do this right, my fear is whether I will get my approval in time to make my flight at the end of July. IRCC confirms that I only need to re-apply for myself not for my children accompanying me, I hope that is true.

Also, if I rea-apply, I only need to reaply for my SP not my TRV, as that remains valid, right? All so confusing o_O.

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
What does "actively" studying mean though - Registered? Went to classes for a week? Why should I have to do an entire semester at a school I really don't want to attend anymore just to change?

I don't mind re-applying again and paying the application fees cos I want to do this right, my fear is whether I will get my approval in time to make my flight at the end of July. IRCC confirms that I only need to re-apply for myself not for my children accompanying me, I hope that is true.

Also, if I rea-apply, I only need to reaply for my SP not my TRV, as that remains valid, right? All so confusing o_O.

Yep, you can totally re-apply, no need to study actively, this is if you're still out of Canada, and IRCC will probably process your TRV faster.
It's just being implemented as a measure.

Reactions: wonderbly

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
But what about. I have completed 1 semester in my current DLI online. I am eligible to change my DLI right?
You need to apply for a new SP, IRCC has clearly said that.
You are still outside Canada aren't you?

So follow the instructions put by IRCC.

Alexi01

May 14, 2021
You need to apply for a new SP, IRCC has clearly said that.
You are still outside Canada aren't you?

So follow the instructions put by IRCC.
I have offer letter from another DLI and have already accepted it. I will be moving to Canada in July and once I land I will change my DLI in the account. And I will not be applying for a new SP rules be damned.

Reactions: inkpot

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
I have offer letter from another DLI and have already accepted it. I will be moving to Canada in July and once I land I will change my DLI in the account. And I will not be applying for a new SP rules be damned.
All the best.

Reactions: Alexi01