+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changing conditions on PGWP..?

WorshiperSS

May 4, 2020
Hi guys,

I am currently on Post Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) and would like to make a change of the employer information on it since there is no employer indicated on my PGWP (It says "Employer: ANY"). The reason I need this change is to provide more information for my Permanent Residence application which can benefited by indicating my employer and occupation (I am a religious worker which is exempt from LMIA as "Canadian Interest").
I have been employed for more than 1 year and have an official job offer.

My questions are:
1) Can I apply for making a change just for my employer and occupation? And how can I apply?
2) If not, do and can I need to apply for another work permit like a religious work permit?

Thank you so much for your response in advance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi guys,

I am currently on Post Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) and would like to make a change of the employer information on it since there is no employer indicated on my PGWP (It says "Employer: ANY"). The reason I need this change is to provide more information for my Permanent Residence application which can benefited by indicating my employer and occupation (I am a religious worker which is exempt from LMIA as "Canadian Interest").
I have been employed for more than 1 year and have an official job offer.

My questions are:
1) Can I apply for making a change just for my employer and occupation? And how can I apply?
2) If not, do and can I need to apply for another work permit like a religious work permit?

Thank you so much for your response in advance.
1) No, you can't. The PGWP is an open work permit with no employer or occupation listed. You can't add an employer or occupation to a PGWP.
2) You would need to switch to a closed work permit.

Which immigration program are you planning on applying under?

WorshiperSS

May 4, 2020
1) No, you can't. The PGWP is an open work permit with no employer or occupation listed. You can't add an employer or occupation to a PGWP.
2) You would need to switch to a closed work permit.

Which immigration program are you planning on applying under?
Thanks for the response!
I am going to apply for EE (Canada Experience Class). I got a Master's degree in Canada and have been working for over 1 year.
How do I switch to a closed work permit? Can I just apply for another work permit for religious work?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for the response!
I am going to apply for EE (Canada Experience Class).
How do I switch to a closed work permit? Can I just apply for another work permit for religious work?
To switch to a closed work permit, your employer would need to give you a job offer that is LMIA exempt and then you apply for the closed work permit.

If you want to qualify for the 50 extra points for having a job offer under EE, then either your employer needs to obtain an approved LMIA - OR you need to get the LMIA exempt closed work permit approved and then work for your employer in Canada for a full year under that closed work permit.

WorshiperSS

May 4, 2020
To switch to a closed work permit, your employer would need to give you a job offer that is LMIA exempt and then you apply for the closed work permit.

If you want to qualify for the 50 extra points for having a job offer under EE, then either your employer needs to obtain an approved LMIA - OR you need to get the LMIA exempt closed work permit approved and then work for your employer in Canada for a full year under that closed work permit.
I see. So, it doesn't matter if I am currently holding a PGWP in order to apply for a closed work permit?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I see. So, it doesn't matter if I am currently holding a PGWP in order to apply for a closed work permit?
I'm not sure I understand your question. If you meet the requirements to apply for a closed work permit, then you can apply for a closed work permit.

WorshiperSS

May 4, 2020
I'm not sure I understand your question. If you meet the requirements to apply for a closed work permit, then you can apply for a closed work permit.
Let me put it this way; "Is it possible for me to apply for another work permit while I am on PGWP?"

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

WorshiperSS

May 4, 2020

I have another question.
Under PGWP, I have been working under my current employer for more than 1 year. Does this count as my work experience if I get a new closed work permit? Or should I work another whole year under the new closed work permit in order to be qualified to apply for PR?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have another question.
Under PGWP, I have been working under my current employer for more than 1 year. Does this count as my work experience if I get a new closed work permit? Or should I work another whole year under the new closed work permit in order to be qualified to apply for PR?
The work experience under the PGWP counts as work experience under CEC.

However if you want to claim the 50 points for having a job offer, you need to work an additional whole year under the new closed work permit.

WorshiperSS

May 4, 2020
The work experience under the PGWP counts as work experience under CEC.

However if you want to claim the 50 points for having a job offer, you need to work an additional whole year under the new closed work permit.
Wow... that's unexpected..
Thank you!!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Wow... that's unexpected..
Thank you!!
It's because the closed work permit is going to be LMIA exempt. If you're on an LMIA exempt closed work permit, you need to work on that closed work permit for a full year before you can claim the points.

If you want to be able to claim the job offer points immediately, your employer would need to get an approved LMIA.