+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changing City and Processing Time Change

FSWDev

Star Member
May 11, 2014
Hi

I am just wondering if you live in Mississauga and applied for Citizenship
Later if you move to a city due to new job or home purchase etc, say Windsor (where processing time is less), will it be an advantage or disadvantage

Thanks

visavorpr

May 8, 2018
Same or worse as it takes weeks to process file transfer. I requested a file transfer November 14th and I ended up going for oath end of January at the original location as my file was never transferred

Reactions: FSWDev

nyxcupido

Feb 15, 2016
Hi guys,

I filed my application in Vancouver. But since January, I moved to Edmonton and I changed my address on CIC to Edmonton. However, I received this new appointment in Vancouver which has the test and appointment both on the same day. Is it wise to attend in Vancouver itself or request to reschedule in Edmonton?

Please let me know.

Reactions: FSWDev

GeoCanadian

Star Member
Mar 28, 2012
Nanaimo, BC, Canada
Visa Office......
Ottawa, Canada
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
28-03-2012
Doc's Request.
08-04-2013
AOR Received.
PER receieved on 05-APR-2012
IELTS Request
sent with application (band 8.5)
File Transfer...
Transferred from Buffelo to Ottawa
Med's Request
10-05-2013
Med's Done....
24-05-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
26-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
Nov. 19, 2013
LANDED..........
December 6, 2013
Hi guys,

I filed my application in Vancouver. But since January, I moved to Edmonton and I changed my address on CIC to Edmonton. However, I received this new appointment in Vancouver which has the test and appointment both on the same day. Is it wise to attend in Vancouver itself or request to reschedule in Edmonton?

Please let me know.
What does "wise" mean to you? Are you more concerned about the cost or time? You requesting the file transfer (you have to do this by mail, not by online/email or address change - see my note above) and a new test date won't jeopardize your case, if that's what you are asking. It is a trade-off between an additional expense going from Edmonton to Vancouver vs. time delay associated with the file transfer/new test date in Edmonton, which is unpredictable (it may take from 10 days to up to three months). So, you have to decide what's more important to you. Good luck!

Reactions: k300k3

nyxcupido

Feb 15, 2016
What does "wise" mean to you? Are you more concerned about the cost or time? You requesting the file transfer (you have to do this by mail, not by online/email or address change - see my note above) and a new test date won't jeopardize your case, if that's what you are asking. It is a trade-off between an additional expense going from Edmonton to Vancouver vs. time delay associated with the file transfer/new test date in Edmonton, which is unpredictable (it may take from 10 days to up to three months). So, you have to decide what's more important to you. Good luck!
Thanks for the reply. "Wise" was used in relevance to the time factor. I assumed that file transfer will be a timely process and hence if it is better to attend Vancouver appointment. I think I got my answer :)

PHCA

Aug 1, 2017
Calgary, AB
LANDED..........
Hello. Just wondering. So if I decide to move say from Calgary to Vancouver while my application is in process and I update my address with CIC and in eCas, that doesn't mean my file will automatically be transferred to Vancouver office? It will continuously be processed in Calgary?

GeoCanadian

Star Member
Mar 28, 2012
Nanaimo, BC, Canada
Visa Office......
Ottawa, Canada
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
28-03-2012
Doc's Request.
08-04-2013
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
Med's Request
10-05-2013
Med's Done....
24-05-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
26-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
Nov. 19, 2013
LANDED..........
December 6, 2013
Hello. Just wondering. So if I decide to move say from Calgary to Vancouver while my application is in process and I update my address with CIC and in eCas, that doesn't mean my file will automatically be transferred to Vancouver office? It will continuously be processed in Calgary?
Correct. I myself learned this in a hard way. I changed my address in October and thought they’d transfer the file automatically based on the new address in the system. We kept receiving communication from the original IRCC office. I finally called IRCC customer service number and was told to send a letter via post/courier to the original IRCC office with the request to transfer file. Moreover, they said the request may or may not be approved. For details, see my other posts in a separate thread under the Citizenship forum.

PHCA

Aug 1, 2017
Calgary, AB
LANDED..........
Correct. I myself learned this in a hard way. I changed my address in October and thought they’d transfer the file automatically based on the new address in the system. We kept receiving communication from the original IRCC office. I finally called IRCC customer service number and was told to send a letter via post/courier to the original IRCC office with the request to transfer file. Moreover, they said the request may or may not be approved. For details, see my other posts in a separate thread under the Citizenship forum.
Wow I'm surprised. So I guess the only reason why we need to update our address on eCas is in case they send us something via mail?? Not sure but that's the only reason I can think of.

Btw, what did they mean by request to transfer may or may not be approved? Thank you!!

GeoCanadian

Star Member
Mar 28, 2012
Nanaimo, BC, Canada
Visa Office......
Ottawa, Canada
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
28-03-2012
Doc's Request.
08-04-2013
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
Med's Request
10-05-2013
Med's Done....
24-05-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
26-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
Nov. 19, 2013
LANDED..........
December 6, 2013
Wow I'm surprised. So I guess the only reason why we need to update our address on eCas is in case they send us something via mail?? Not sure but that's the only reason I can think of.

Btw, what did they mean by request to transfer may or may not be approved? Thank you!!
Yes, the address change just lets the IRCC know where to send the correspondence. For instance, my spouse received the request for RCMP/fingerprint report from Vancouver IRCC office both - via email and via Canadapost at our Halifax, NS, address.

I asked the same question as to why my request for file transfer may not have been approved. The answer I got was that, contrary to what people believe, citizenship application file transfer or splitting up the citizenship family application into separate files, are not routine procedures. They are treated as discretionary decisions to be made by your case officer, much like requests for test date or oath date changes, etc. And, if the case officer decides that fulfilling your request is not warranted (for various reasons - for instance, because the test invite has already gone out to you), your file transfer request may not be approved. What's more, none of this is reflected in the online system (i.e. there is no note made about the file transfer request, or its approval or rejection, in the online status on your case in eCas).

Hope this helps.

Reactions: FSWDev and PHCA

Mohsin aziz

Star Member
Feb 4, 2019
Missisauga is the most laziest office in whole canada i have seen posts from members who had applied almost more than a year and their application is still under process like come on process their application fast so people csn come out of this hectic procedure