+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changing address and expiring passport during PR application

Timrepy Duts

Star Member
Jul 14, 2016
CIC has requested the following documents from me, which I have provided around 2 years ago, but I guess they need an update:
1. Police Certificate
2. Passport/Travel Doc (Multiple)
3. Schedule A: bearing an original signature (I assume this has to be signed by hand?)
4. IMM5562: Supplementary Information - Your Travels
5. Additional Family Info IMM5406: A separate and newly completed Additional Family Information form (IMM5406) bearing original signatures
6. Employment Letter: An official document printed on company letterhead stating that you, in whose name the letter is printed, will be employed in Canada for a specified period of time by that company. It must list your name, the details of your employment in Canada. This must be received at this office by: 2023/07/21
7. Funds, proof: Proof of funds

Here are my issues:
  • First, I was nominated under OINP Master's Stream, so I don't have a job offer in Canada. I'm not sure why I'm being asked for item #6 (Employment Letter)? Should I upload a letter of explanation for this?
  • I will be moving this month, so my address will change, but I will remain in the same country. Is it OK to complete the documents according to the address that is already printed on the requested documents, send them, and then inform CIC of the address change?
  • My passport will be expiring at the beginning of November. Is it still OK to send copies of my current passport? It takes 50 days to renew my passport, so I won't be able to renew it in time for this application unless I ask for a two month extension on the deadline they provided.
  • Can anyone guess how far into the process I am given that they have requested these documents?
Thank you so much for you help.

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
CIC has requested the following documents from me, which I have provided around 2 years ago, but I guess they need an update:
1. Police Certificate
2. Passport/Travel Doc (Multiple)
3. Schedule A: bearing an original signature (I assume this has to be signed by hand?)
4. IMM5562: Supplementary Information - Your Travels
5. Additional Family Info IMM5406: A separate and newly completed Additional Family Information form (IMM5406) bearing original signatures
6. Employment Letter: An official document printed on company letterhead stating that you, in whose name the letter is printed, will be employed in Canada for a specified period of time by that company. It must list your name, the details of your employment in Canada. This must be received at this office by: 2023/07/21
7. Funds, proof: Proof of funds

Here are my issues:
  • First, I was nominated under OINP Master's Stream, so I don't have a job offer in Canada. I'm not sure why I'm being asked for item #6 (Employment Letter)? Should I upload a letter of explanation for this? Yes upload letter of explanation that you are under master stream and don’t need job offer. Looks like they are doing eligibility check here.
  • I will be moving this month, so my address will change, but I will remain in the same country. Is it OK to complete the documents according to the address that is already printed on the requested documents, send them, and then inform CIC of the address change?
  • You have to change your address doesn’t matter of you are in same country. Always keep your address and information up to datw with cic .
  • My passport will be expiring at the beginning of November. Is it still OK to send copies of my current passport? It takes 50 days to renew my passport, so I won't be able to renew it in time for this application unless I ask for a two month extension on the deadline they provided. Yes for now you can send old passport copies. Note for issuing visa’s, your passport should be valid more than 6 months. For now you can send old passport and renew it ASAP and then send new passport copies through webform.
  • Can anyone guess how far into the process I am given that they have requested these documents? Looks like they are doing your background check and criminality check. There is no specific timeline and no one knows. Can be anywhere 3-7 months to get PR. Only option to see exact information is requesting GCMS notes.
Thank you so much for you help.

Timrepy Duts

Star Member
Jul 14, 2016
Just wanted to drop you a quick message to say a big thank you for taking the time to answer my questions! You seriously helped clear up a lot of things for me, and I genuinely appreciate it. I just submitted the application yesterday.

Reactions: Miss bee