+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changes in canadian work experience post ITA

jfpalmero

Oct 28, 2017
Hello everyone, I need guidance. Please help.

I was given ITA in inclusion to the 27k CEC applicants last Feb 13with CRS 435. I am now completing my requirements and when I was double checking my score, I got 46 score for Canadian Work Experience, when I checked, that is the score for 2yrs Canadian Experience. The problem is, I have less than 2yrs.

When I studied full time post graduate last May 2018, i also started working as a part-time cook for restaurant X, 20hrs a week. I then started working full-time starting April 2019, 40hrs a week while I was doing externship (co-op) for the same restaurant X as a cook. After graduation on August 2019, I proceeded on working full time for the same restaurant X until November 2020. Based from this, I only have 1yr full-time Canadian work experience.

During my EE application, I indicated that I worked for restaurant X from May 2018 to November 2020. This is the reason why CIC counted it as 2yrs Canadian work experience. Because of this I was awarded 46 points, but in fact I should’ve only gotten 35 for the 1yr.

Question is, do I proceed with my APR and just clarify this? I have a detailed letter of employment and a letter of explanation that I will upload in “Client Information” section. Or do I decline ITA, fix my EE profile and wait for another invitation?

According to immigration, I should decline if my recalculated score turned out to be lower than than the lowest score invited. (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/express-entry/invitation-apply.html)

The lowest score invited for the Feb 13, 2020 CEC draw was 75, but I feel the last draw was a special case? What do you guys think? Should I proceed with APR or decline the ITA and wait for a new invitation? Please help me.

NOC98

Champion Member
Mar 7, 2020
Category........
Other
work experience while on study permit is not counted under CEC, so that’s good that you caught it.

you can either:
1) remove it now before submission, move that work experience under personal history, recalculate your score and attach an LOE to explain the change of score. Quote https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/express-entry/assessing-electronic-application-on-section-a11-2.html
that you still meet CEC eligibility and still above cut off score

2) submit it as it is, IRCC case analysts sees that 1 out of 2 years of Canadian work experience was under study permit, removes those points, does recalculation and finds that you still meet CEC eligibility and still above cut off score.

either way, your application is still in good shape. The difference between option 1 and 2 is you’ll save the IRCC analyst some time in reviewing your file. So don’t decline your invitation.

jfpalmero

Oct 28, 2017
work experience while on study permit is not counted under CEC, so that’s good that you caught it.

you can either:
1) remove it now before submission, move that work experience under personal history, recalculate your score and attach an LOE to explain the change of score. Quote https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/express-entry/assessing-electronic-application-on-section-a11-2.html
that you still meet CEC eligibility and still above cut off score

2) submit it as it is, IRCC case analysts sees that 1 out of 2 years of Canadian work experience was under study permit, removes those points, does recalculation and finds that you still meet CEC eligibility and still above cut off score.

either way, your application is still in good shape. The difference between option 1 and 2 is you’ll save the IRCC analyst some time in reviewing your file. So don’t decline your invitation.
i fear due to the large volume of ITAs, they might just decline my application as soon as they see the decrease in score. It does say to decline it if my score goes lower than the lowest invited.But still makes me so paranoid.

NOC98

Champion Member
Mar 7, 2020
Category........
Other
i fear due to the large volume of ITAs, they might just decline my application as soon as they see the decrease in score. It does say to decline it if my score goes lower than the lowest invited.But still makes me so paranoid.
Sorry, did you say your score is lower than 75 after removing 1 year Canadian work experience?

jfpalmero

Oct 28, 2017
Sorry, did you say your score is lower than 75 after removing 1 year Canadian work experience?
hi, no my score will drop from 435 to 424, since the difference of 2yrs and 1yr canadian work experience is 11points. The lowest score in that round of invites was 75.

if i push thru with my application with LOE, do you think they will not see me as providing false information because pre ITA i indicated 2yrs work experience? I swear it was an honest mistake. I stayed to work for restaurant X and my mistake was I wrote my start date even I was still a student

NOC98

Champion Member
Mar 7, 2020
Category........
Other
They will only reject your application if:
1) if you fall below the cut off score which is 75. Your score is way above that.
2) you don’t meet the CEC eligibility. which you still meet — one year Canadian work experience AND (I assume) a valid language assessment score based on your primary NOC.

If you submitted your application with 424 points, They’ll check whether you still meet CEC eligibility and then they will review the supporting documents to back your 424 points. That’s it.

You’ll have problems if your remaining 1 year Canadian work experience doesn’t have proper supporting documents because if IRCC removes that, you’ll definitely get refused.

jfpalmero

Oct 28, 2017
They will only reject your application if:
1) if you fall below the cut off score which is 75. Your score is way above that.
2) you don’t meet the CEC eligibility. which you still meet — one year Canadian work experience AND (I assume) a valid language assessment score based on your primary NOC.

If you submitted your application with 424 points, They’ll check whether you still meet CEC eligibility and then they will review the supporting documents to back your 424 points. That’s it.

You’ll have problems if your remaining 1 year Canadian work experience doesn’t have proper supporting documents because if IRCC removes that, you’ll definitely get refused.
thank you. Yes my ielts score is ok. It’s just that i had this problem and mistake entering my work experience since it overlapped during my studies. I just hope they wont tag my application as falsification of information

NOC98

Champion Member
Mar 7, 2020
Category........
Other
thank you. Yes my ielts score is ok. It’s just that i had this problem and mistake entering my work experience since it overlapped during my studies. I just hope they wont tag my application as falsification of information
You removing any work experience and moving it to personal history is different from misrepresentation (e.g., false documents, not declaring any visa refusals).

your LOE should be enough to explain the situation.

jfpalmero

Oct 28, 2017
You removing any work experience and moving it to personal history is different from misrepresentation (e.g., false documents, not declaring any visa refusals).

your LOE should be enough to explain the situation.
thank you so much for going out of your way and helping me out by sharing your knowledge

McanadaPR

Feb 19, 2021
Hello guys, I have an issue regarding this same thread.

I got invitation in that same draw of 75 and my score was 439. I got my work permit on 15 may 2019 and I started working full time in same store as a store supervisor where i was working part time during my study. I left that job in october 2020 and started another job of technician in same month, I checked my score yesterday and it went to 453 on my account as CIC counts work experience on month basis so now its showing my work experience as 2 years, Now i am confused that should i submit my docs and go ahead with application because my actual 2 year work experience will be complete on 15 may 2021, will it be count as misrepresentation, my last date to submit eAPR is 15 may 2021, what should i do as i do not want to lose this chance...any help would be appreciated ...thanks in advance. I have all the documents on my hand.

Last edited:

NOC98

Champion Member
Mar 7, 2020
Category........
Other
Hello guys, I have an issue regarding this same thread.

I got invitation in that same draw of 75 and my score was 439. I got my work permit on 15 may 2019 and I started working full time in same store as a store supervisor where i was working part time during my study. I left that job in october 2020 and started another job of technician in same month, I checked my score yesterday and it went to 453 on my account as CIC counts work experience on month basis so now its showing my work experience as 2 years, Now i am confused that should i submit my docs and go ahead with application because my actual 2 year work experience will be complete on 15 may 2021, will it be count as misrepresentation, my last date to submit eAPR is 15 may 2021, what should i do as i do not want to lose this chance...any help would be appreciated ...thanks in advance. I have all the documents on my hand.
You just need to claim one year Canadian work experience, right? Just put an LOE saying that (1) at the time of ITA, you got invited with one year of Canadian work experience and you’re only claiming points for that and (2) the system granted you points early for 2 years of Canadian work experience when you were gathering docs. Your CRS at ITA is still higher than the cut off anyway.

you may also choose to move your work experience from your 2nd job (October 2020 to present) to personal history. That would also lock your canadian work experience to one year since your 1st work experience is a year and a half (CRS doesn’t give points for less than a year work experiences). Recalculate your CRS and if there’s no change between ITA and at the time you’re about to submit, then there’s nothing to explain in LOE.

Reactions: McanadaPR

McanadaPR

Feb 19, 2021
You just need to claim one year Canadian work experience, right? Just put an LOE saying that (1) at the time of ITA, you got invited with one year of Canadian work experience and you’re only claiming points for that and (2) the system granted you points early for 2 years of Canadian work experience when you were gathering docs. Your CRS at ITA is still higher than the cut off anyway.

you may also choose to move your work experience from your 2nd job (October 2020 to present) to personal history. That would also lock your canadian work experience to one year since your 1st work experience is a year and a half (CRS doesn’t give points for less than a year work experiences). Recalculate your CRS and if there’s no change between ITA and at the time you’re about to submit, then there’s nothing to explain in LOE.
Thank you so much...this really makes sense now......one more thing....in the first job i have some weeks less than 30 hours in starting and due to covid as well as positive cases at my work location, we had to shut down for 10 days twice ..although my hours are still more than 1560 total.....do I need LOE stating that i have worked different hours...I have all pay stubs, T4s , Proper letter....any suggestions...thanks

NOC98

Champion Member
Mar 7, 2020
Category........
Other
Thank you so much...this really makes sense now......one more thing....in the first job i have some weeks less than 30 hours in starting and due to covid as well as positive cases at my work location, we had to shut down for 10 days twice ..although my hours are still more than 1560 total.....do I need LOE stating that i have worked different hours...I have all pay stubs, T4s , Proper letter....any suggestions...thanks
You have 1.5 years with your first job, so I’m assuming if you count your hours at 30 or less a week, you should still be over 1560. If want to put it in an LOE, you may do so, just to have a proper run down of your hours per week and how many hours you’ve rendered.

McanadaPR

Feb 19, 2021

For this I am thinking to remove it from work history...put it in a personal history....and attach LOE with all recent job documents in optional doc section stating why i moved my experience....will that help?