+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changed program. How will this affect pgwp?

Notableme

Sep 4, 2021
Hi guys, so I applied for my program in biochem and was accepted. I am a transfer international student with transfer credits that fulfill program requirements for electives only. I deferred from fall 2020 to Winter 2021(was authorised by the school). I have changed my program to biology this upcoming fall term and now I was reading the criteria for pgwp and I'm confused.

During the spring term, I only took 3 courses(considered part time) since the fourth course I was instructed to take is only offered in the winter term(Example: physics 110 is offered in fall and winter but physics 111 is offered only in winter. Physics 110 is a prerequisite for physics 111 so you cannot take both in the same term. Hence I had to take physics 110 in winter and 3 courses in spring). On the website it says

"They have maintained full-time student status in Canada during each academic session of the program or programs of study they have completed and submitted as part of their post-graduation work permit application. Exceptions can be made only for the following:
leave from studies
final academic session"

As I have since changed my program of study and registered full time In the fall and winter term, am I still eligible?

Last edited:

Farjad

Dec 15, 2023
Thank you for your kind reply ! I was a part time student in my first semester due to mental health problems and I didn’t know I was part time (which was due to getting a DNC) so I had worked during that time. So if I change programs and go from psychology undergrad to a two year diploma in a college then could I get a PGWP for the new program or will my previous program where I was part time affect my application ? Your kind reply would mean the world and relieve a lot of stress

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you for your kind reply ! I was a part time student in my first semester due to mental health problems and I didn’t know I was part time (which was due to getting a DNC) so I had worked during that time. So if I change programs and go from psychology undergrad to a two year diploma in a college then could I get a PGWP for the new program or will my previous program where I was part time affect my application ? Your kind reply would mean the world and relieve a lot of stress
If you change programs/schools and start over, you must be full time for the new program except for the last semester. If you do this you should be okay for a PGWP.

When does the new program start? Are you still studying full time?

Reactions: Farjad

Farjad

Dec 15, 2023
If you change programs/schools and start over, you must be full time for the new program except for the last semester. If you do this you should be okay for a PGWP.

When does the new program start? Are you still studying full time?
OMG !!!THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE KIND ANSWER ! I was feeling really and worthless for wasting my parents money and not getting a PGWP.could I kindly share my full story
so, in my first semester I failed two courses and got a DNC and also worked part time then in my second semester I failed all my courses but didn’t get a DNC and was a full time student. I fishies my third semester this fall and was a full time student and am getting decent grades. I will do one more semester here for my undergrad maintaining full time status and then in next fall I’m planning to move to centinniel college to do a two year diploma in heavy duty mechanics. If I maintain full time status in that program would I really get the PGWP even tho I worked while I was part time in my previous program and institute ? THANK YOU SO MUCH !!!