+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

change valid spouse open work permit to visitor permit

montasser7445

Sep 26, 2019
Hello everyone, My wife has open work permit and I have study permit. Now my wife want to change her open work permit to visitor permit (for her own purposes). She applied online using imm 5708 but her application was cancelled by IRCC. She sent them an inquiry and they responded the following" We verified the information you provided. A note on file indicates that the application submitted on ......., was cancelled by the Case Processing Centre because you already have a valid temporary status as a worker until september 30 2020. Is this a mistake by them?. why cannot she change her status to visitor permit?. as far as I aknow visitor permit can change to open work permit but why the opposit is not possible?. Anyone has similar experience like this?

Thanks

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Why do you need to change to visitor status? The right to stay in Canada under a work permit is the same as a TRV, just you can accept a job.

montasser7445

Sep 26, 2019
Why do you need to change to visitor status? The right to stay in Canada under a work permit is the same as a TRV, just you can accept a job.
Thanks for reply. For her own purposes back home she needs a document from Canada that clearly states that she is not allowed to work in Canada.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
That's a tough one. She'd have to find a way to cancel her work permit and then apply for a TRV. Which you tried to do.

Did you include this need in a letter of explanation when you submitted the TRV application?

montasser7445

Sep 26, 2019
That's a tough one. She'd have to find a way to cancel her work permit and then apply for a TRV. Which you tried to do.

Did you include this need in a letter of explanation when you submitted the TRV application?
Yes. she included this need in letter of explanation but most probably, they didnot even look at her documents

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Probably not. You may need to e-mail the visa office processing your case. I'm honestly not sure what to do here. Good luck!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If she is files while in Canada, Canada will be unlikely to change her status to a visitor because she isn’t actually a temporary visitor.