+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Change outland application for inland?

caseyboy88

Jul 13, 2020
Hi all,
I tried searching for this but I didn't seem to get anywhere.

• I applied for outland spouse sponsorship in March 2020
  • Since then me and my wife are now in Canada, she is Canadian and I am here on a eTA (UK citizen)
  • My application is still outstanding and I still haven't had AOR or any acknowledgement
I can't work while I'm here but I'd like to. Do I continue to wait for my outland application? Or do I cancel it and apply for inland which would give me a temporary work permit? Or am I best just waiting?

Thanks

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hi all,
I tried searching for this but I didn't seem to get anywhere.

• I applied for outland spouse sponsorship in March 2020
  • Since then me and my wife are now in Canada, she is Canadian and I am here on a eTA (UK citizen)
  • My application is still outstanding and I still haven't had AOR or any acknowledgement
I can't work while I'm here but I'd like to. Do I continue to wait for my outland application? Or do I cancel it and apply for inland which would give me a temporary work permit? Or am I best just waiting?

Thanks
The temporary work permit is taking about 6 months to process (COVID. pre-COVID it used to take about 4 months).

So even if you cancel your outland application and apply via inland now, you still need to wait another 6 months or so before you can work.

It's up to you to decide.

Reactions: scylla

JenniferinFL

Star Member
Nov 18, 2019
I would suggest continuing to wait for outland. Since you are in March, you are in the group they are processing AOR's for now. People from January and February are getting their COPR.

I mean, I'm no fortune-teller, but, I think if you were very lucky, you could see your COPR in under three months. That's faster than you can get the work permit and you'd be starting the process over again from the beginning.

Even if it takes 6 months for your COPR from now, which it probably shouldn't, that's still as long as you'd wait for the work permit.

Reactions: cjr and caseyboy88

caseyboy88

Jul 13, 2020
Yeah I think you're right, thanks for the confidence boost. I just needed to know I wasn't being crazy just waiting!

mkxdd

Apr 24, 2021
Hey Casey, so just to clarify, you stayed with the outland sponsorship application - even though you managed to enter Canada under an eTA? How long did you have to wait and did you have to update anything on your application to let them know that you're physically present in Canada for them to transfer it to the ottawa office?

caseyboy88

Jul 13, 2020
Hey Casey, so just to clarify, you stayed with the outland sponsorship application - even though you managed to enter Canada under an eTA? How long did you have to wait and did you have to update anything on your application to let them know that you're physically present in Canada for them to transfer it to the ottawa office?
Hey, yeah that's right. I entered Sept 21st and I didn't get a letter through until early Jan. So heard nothing until then. I changed my address using their change of address on the immigration website. It was possibly transferred to Ottawa due to covid busyness but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Patience was my only friend through this! You won't get any joy out of immigration until they start processing your application. Then it seems to go very quickly.

mkxdd

Apr 24, 2021
Did you update your address on the sponsorship application to an address in Canada (while on eTA)? We got the AOR sometime in Feb, and I've already enrolled biometrics (outside of Canada) but nothing else since. I'm going to be entering Canada soon under family reunification (also eTA) and was wondering what steps I need to take. Thanks in advance!

caseyboy88

Jul 13, 2020
Yeah I think I went here:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/check-status.html

And then found my application using the UCI or application number, can't remember exactly. I just remember that one worked and one didn't so keep trying even if it can't find you straight away.

And I think in there you can change your address. If you can't find it, maybe this is the link?

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/change-address.html

Your situation is slightly different to me but AFAIK it doesn't matter where you do biometrics.

It's a bit of a gap between biometrics and the final decision so hopefully yours will be through soon! I think mine was like 2 months.

Reactions: Prateekgarg86

mkxdd

Apr 24, 2021
Thanks for the details, Casey! Are you saying it took 2months between your biometrics and final decision? Or longer than that?

caseyboy88

Jul 13, 2020
It was about 2 months yeah. I have heard that it's taking a little longer though so I'd wait at least 3 months before worrying. I spent the whole time worrying that my paperwork had gotten lost but no, it was all fine. I found that once I was in Canada I stopped worrying as much because I was with my family at least.

Bring lots of books, paper to write on and electronics, those 2 weeks quarantine really drag!

Reactions: cjr

mkxdd

Apr 24, 2021
Thanks for the details and tips! How were you able to stay on eTA from Sept through Jan? Did you apply for an extension?