+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Change of University and term while still in India

Asv21$

Jul 14, 2018
I am still in India and have received the VISA for University of Ottawa for the Master of Engineering in Electrical and Computer Engineering starting 1st September 2018 on 29th Aug 2018 along with . I have been interested in a research based masters and had applied for the same at University of Ottawa and UniversityOf New Brunswick. During the wait period for my VISA application result, I received an admit for the M.Sc.E (Research based)- Electrical and Computer Engineering program from the University of New Brunswick starting 2nd January 2019 (Winter 2019). I am extremely inclined towards research and have been offered this admission along with a GAA award. I would like to change my University from the University of Ottawa to the University of New Brunswick.

I had emailed the same to the High Commission Delhi, Canada
First I got a reply that I would have to resubmit my Visa application with the new admission letter and submit my passport to cancel my Visa and get it reprinted.
But when I queried again if I should be reapplying or if I could transfer DLIs using:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/change-schools/account.html
I got a reply from the High Commission that in order to transger Universities, I would have to advise the Immigration Officer about the same and he/she will change my University in the computer system so that I can get my student permit for the new University when I land.

Could anyone please help me as to what I should do?

If the transfer is possible how do I advise the Migration Officer that I will be changing institutions? So that the migration officer will make the changes in the computer system before issuing my study permit (and also obtain a new correspondence letter if that is required)

Thanks

lferfga

Star Member
Aug 24, 2018
I got accepted into my first choice university after I already had my visa on hand. I contacted the international student advisor at the university and he told me to go ahead and change it on the cic website before I leave for Canada. I didn't have any problems, it's a really simple form to fill out. I'll only be arriving in Canada in December, at which time I plan on asking the officer if the transfer went through alright.
I'm starting in the same term as before, so my case is simpler.

Asv21$

Jul 14, 2018
I got accepted into my first choice university after I already had my visa on hand. I contacted the international student advisor at the university and he told me to go ahead and change it on the cic website before I leave for Canada. I didn't have any problems, it's a really simple form to fill out. I'll only be arriving in Canada in December, at which time I plan on asking the officer if the transfer went through alright.
I'm starting in the same term as before, so my case is simpler.
So you've changed the University and terms both right?

Also

lferfga

Star Member
Aug 24, 2018
I changed only the university. The term, program type and length were all the same, so it was an easy switch.
Your link explains how to do it, it's really straightforward.
You log on to you GCKey, and there's a link "Students:Transfer Schools". You lookup your application number then just plug in the new DLI number, start date and student number.
If you did a paper application you might have to link it online first, I did it all electronically.

That's basically it, you can ask the officer at the airport if the transfer went through OK.