+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Change of University and start term after getting VISA

Asv21$

Jul 14, 2018
I am a international student from outside Canada and I had applied for my student VISA for the University of Ottawa, Master of Engineering in Electrical and Computer Engineering (coursework), which starts on September 1, 2018. I have received my student visa stamped passport on August 29, 2018. In the meanwhile, I also received an admit from the University of New Brunswick, Fredericton for the Master of Science in Electrical and Computer Engineering (research based) program, which starts in January 2019.

I would like to state that, I am interested in the research course offered at UNB and even in my application for admission at University of Ottawa, I had applied for Master of Science (research) as my first preference and Master of Engineering as second. Since the University of New Brunswick is providing me research opportunity in the field of my interests as well as funding, I would like to change my University to the University of New Brunswick and start term of admissions to January 2019. I would like to ask if I am required to apply again for a new Student Visa for the new admission or is there a way to transfer schools on the same Visa before I reach Canada and obtain a study permit. I would also like to know of any more information available for the latter option if possible..

Last edited:

Thng

Sep 10, 2018
You can come here with that student visa, but make sure you remain enrolled with the university that you initially applied. Once you are here, you can change school by notifying IRCC online. Point is you will have a little gap in between Sep and Jan which may have an impact on your study permit/PGWP later on. I've been having some concern about the gap too, let me know you have other update.

darthv

Star Member
Jun 12, 2018
I am a international student from outside Canada and I had applied for my student VISA for the University of Ottawa, Master of Engineering in Electrical and Computer Engineering (coursework), which starts on September 1, 2018. I have received my student visa stamped passport on August 29, 2018. In the meanwhile, I also received an admit from the University of New Brunswick, Fredericton for the Master of Science in Electrical and Computer Engineering (research based) program, which starts in January 2019.

I would like to state that, I am interested in the research course offered at UNB and even in my application for admission at University of Ottawa, I had applied for Master of Science (research) as my first preference and Master of Engineering as second. Since the University of New Brunswick is providing me research opportunity in the field of my interests as well as funding, I would like to change my University to the University of New Brunswick and start term of admissions to January 2019. I would like to ask if I am required to apply again for a new Student Visa for the new admission or is there a way to transfer schools on the same Visa before I reach Canada and obtain a study permit. I would also like to know of any more information available for the latter option if possible..
You can change the university by changing dli in your gckey account. No need to apply again for anything. I am assuming you are still in your home country and not have been issued a study permit.
If you already landed and got a study permit, then first you have to cancel your admission, change dli. Your study permit will be invalidated after 90 days so new permit will be issued at port of entry. Either return back to your country or do a crossing through US border (i don't know how US border thing works, u need to ask someone).

Asv21$

Jul 14, 2018
You can change the university by changing dli in your gckey account. No need to apply again for anything. I am assuming you are still in your home country and not have been issued a study permit.
If you already landed and got a study permit, then first you have to cancel your admission, change dli. Your study permit will be invalidated after 90 days so new permit will be issued at port of entry. Either return back to your country or do a crossing through US border (i don't know how US border thing works, u need to ask someone).
To remain enrolled, do I have to pay fees in the first University? Can I transfer schools using the transfer DLI option?

Asv21$

Jul 14, 2018
Hello,
Thank you for the reply.
I'm still in my home country and have only received my VISA. I haven't gone to Canada (plan to land in December) and so will receive my study permit then.
So what should I do now?

Asv21$

Jul 14, 2018
Should I be enrolled at uOttawa?
Also can I land at Fredericton, New Brunswick or do I have to land at Ottawa, Ontario?

jasz_blr

May 28, 2018
Understand few things first. What you have got is TRV and not a study permit. Since, you are still at your home country so just apply for change of DLI online. Follow the instruction given at CIC website. It is simple and not a complicated process. You have lot of time in hand so patiently read the process and apply.

Hopefully CIC will issue you a new correspondence letter (popularly known as LOI). Just show this at the POE. In most cases you need not show LOI these days as the information is accessible to border officer. You will be issue study permit for UNB.

With TRV, you can land anywhere in Canada. Not necessarily Ottawa or New Brunswick.

After applying for change of DLI, proceed with the process to withdraw from UoO formally to be on safer side. No need to pay any academic fees to them. If you have already paid them then ask for refund before the last date of withdrawal from program. Otherwise you will loose that money.

sp__na

Nov 4, 2019

Hello Asv21$,

Did you change your university from your home country?
I'm currently in the same situation and your response with help.

Spina

Aug 12, 2018
Hello,
Thank you for the reply.
I'm still in my home country and have only received my VISA. I haven't gone to Canada (plan to land in December) and so will receive my study permit then.
So what should I do now?
Can you please share your experience.
We are awaiting for your response.