+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Change of Status from Student to Worker

tommynamo

Mar 8, 2018
I applied for Dependent work permit and got it. Again I renewed it this year. Your work permit would be valid till your spouse's permit is valid. I submitted form IMM5710.
Hi, I am in the same situation and was just wondering whether you had to officially withdrawn from school before submitting the IMM5710. My spouse is also a student and wants to quit school and start working. Did you apply for change of status and then withdraw from the program after?
Hi, Rajibsam, I have the same question with Hana2. Could you tell me whether you had withdrawn from school before applying for the Open Work Permit?

Reactions: Shivam22taneja
Aug 20, 2018
Me & my wife , we both came as a student in Canada & we both hold a valid study permit.our class will start from 4th september:, however now I want to apply for open work permit as my wife is a full time student.Am I eligible to do it ? As I want she should continue her study and I can go for open work permit, though I’m also having a study permit, if I get open work permit then it will more convenient for both of us .i don't want to continue my study, i want to work full time to support my wife ,as well as enhance my work experience in canada. 1.So my enquiry is if husband and wife both are full time student in canada ,then can one of us apply for open work permit inside Canada. 2. what is the procedure to apply for open work permit in side canada . 3. Is there any one like us who have came (husband & wife) canada as a student and then one of them applied for open work permit & successfully got the open work permit ? I’m looking forward to hearing from all of you as a matter of urgency. Thank you so much indeed

Aug 20, 2018
Me & my wife , we both came as a student in Canada & we both hold a valid study permit.our class will start from 4th september:, however now I want to apply for open work permit as my wife is a full time student.Am I eligible to do it ? As I want she should continue her study and I can go for open work permit, though I’m also having a study permit, if I get open work permit then it will more convenient for both of us .i don't want to continue my study, i want to work full time to support my wife ,as well as enhance my work experience in canada. 1.So my enquiry is if husband and wife both are full time student in canada ,then can one of us apply for open work permit inside Canada. 2. what is the procedure to apply for open work permit in side canada . 3. Is there any one like us who have came (husband & wife) canada as a student and then one of them applied for open work permit & successfully got the open work permit ? I’m looking forward to hearing from all of you as a matter of urgency. Thank you so much indeed

Aug 20, 2018
yes both of them have a study permit so either one of them can discontinue his/her study permit and go on work permit as long as the other stays on study permit.

Aug 20, 2018
Can you PLEASE tell me what you ended up doing? (Which form you filled etc.?) I really need your help because I'm in the same situation now. Thank you.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You apply for spousal work permit. Getting a work permit is not guaranteed as the spouse of an international student. It will take at least 4 months to get SOWP. You can't work during that time if you are not studying full-time.

tommynamo

Mar 8, 2018
I can tell you that you are eligible to apply for the OWP.
I had the same situation as you. My husband and I were students and I stopped my study to change visa from Study Permit to Open Work Permit.
At that time we also got the Express Entry invitation, so I applied for both Permanent Resident and OWP in May.
We just couldn't sure which one would be faster.
It turned out that the PR application processing time of us was so quick, which spent about 25days, so my OWP application ended up with withdrawal.
So I don't know how long the OWP takes but as long as I heard it's about 2 months.
You can find the processing time on the official website.

If you want to apply for OWP, you have to withdraw your school first.
In the support document, you have to show that you are not a student anymore, so official withdrawal form might help them to verify you.
Also need both of your Study Permit, and your spouse's enrollment letter.
Since the cases vary from person to person, I recommend you to consult the IRCC representative.

Good luck!

Aug 20, 2018
You apply for spousal work permit. Getting a work permit is not guaranteed as the spouse of an international student. It will take at least 4 months to get SOWP. You can't work during that time if you are not studying full-time.
if i cant work then , after applying for owp; what should be my status ,till i get my owp.? because to apply for open work permit i have to withdraw my enrollment from the college,as i came to know.
and if cic refuse me after 2/3 owp application ,the what should i will do on that time? because i have applied something and i have got refuse and i have't enroll myself in 90 days ,as i withdraw my enrollment from college while i apply for owp.
please clarify me. i really dont understand anything and the process please.
need help
my number 6475745212
please help me

Aug 20, 2018
I can tell you that you are eligible to apply for the OWP.
I had the same situation as you. My husband and I were students and I stopped my study to change visa from Study Permit to Open Work Permit.
At that time we also got the Express Entry invitation, so I applied for both Permanent Resident and OWP in May.
We just couldn't sure which one would be faster.
It turned out that the PR application processing time of us was so quick, which spent about 25days, so my OWP application ended up with withdrawal.
So I don't know how long the OWP takes but as long as I heard it's about 2 months.
You can find the processing time on the official website.

If you want to apply for OWP, you have to withdraw your school first.
In the support document, you have to show that you are not a student anymore, so official withdrawal form might help them to verify you.
Also need both of your Study Permit, and your spouse's enrollment letter.
Since the cases vary from person to person, I recommend you to consult the IRCC representative.

Good luck!
dear sister,
after applying for owp; what should be my status ,till i get my owp.? because to apply for open work permit i have to withdraw my enrollment from the college,as i came to know from u and another person.
and if cic refuse me after 2/3 months my owp application ,then what should i will do on that time? because i have applied for owp and i have got refuse and i have't enroll myself in 90 days ,as i withdraw my enrollment from college while i apply for owp. and if they refuse me then on that time my study permit will remain valid or that also be cancelled ?? can i start study once again , or i have to apply again for study permit or again for open work permit? can i work part time or full time after applying owp? how many hours can i work till the approval come from cic ?
as i have given my medical with in 12 months of period ,while applying my student visa , but doctor have't gave me any report as they only sent to cic,back home . i dont have any papers of my medical , so to apply for owp ,do i have to do again medical test? as i dont have any papers of medical test with me,because the medical center does't give me nothing .?
do i have to show any bank statement in canada ,either in my account or my wife account?? if yes then at least how much should we have to show.
the day i will withdraw my studentship from college ,from that day to till the day i get my ope work permit ,this long 2/3 months ,what should be my status ?? as i am not a student any more ,,,,,, and i have applied for open work permit but waiting for a approval,, this time period what should be my status ?????

need help
my number 6475745212(sister pls call me, i badly need help )
please help me

tommynamo

Mar 8, 2018
dear sister,
after applying for owp; what should be my status ,till i get my owp.? because to apply for open work permit i have to withdraw my enrollment from the college,as i came to know from u and another person.
and if cic refuse me after 2/3 months my owp application ,then what should i will do on that time? because i have applied for owp and i have got refuse and i have't enroll myself in 90 days ,as i withdraw my enrollment from college while i apply for owp. and if they refuse me then on that time my study permit will remain valid or that also be cancelled ?? can i start study once again , or i have to apply again for study permit or again for open work permit? can i work part time or full time after applying owp? how many hours can i work till the approval come from cic ?
as i have given my medical with in 12 months of period ,while applying my student visa , but doctor have't gave me any report as they only sent to cic,back home . i dont have any papers of my medical , so to apply for owp ,do i have to do again medical test? as i dont have any papers of medical test with me,because the medical center does't give me nothing .?
do i have to show any bank statement in canada ,either in my account or my wife account?? if yes then at least how much should we have to show.
the day i will withdraw my studentship from college ,from that day to till the day i get my ope work permit ,this long 2/3 months ,what should be my status ?? as i am not a student any more ,,,,,, and i have applied for open work permit but waiting for a approval,, this time period what should be my status ?????

need help
my number 6475745212(sister pls call me, i badly need help )
please help me
It sounds like you have a lot of questions regarding OWP, and you did not even understand it clearly.
I recommend you to call the CIC 888-242-2100 to ask about the details.
As far as I can tell you is about your status. When you withdraw from your school and apply for OWP, your status is still a student as long as your study permit didn't expire. However, because you are not a student anymore, you cannot do any type of job.
You have to wait for the OWP then you will be free to work in most of the jobs.
I am not sure what will be happening if your application was declined. But actually it's hard to think of the refusal only if you did not break any rule.
No one can assure and no one understands your situation more than yourself, that's why I recommend you to ask the representative.

For the support documents, you can refer to the information in CIC website.
In my case, I did not need a medical exam. There's a requirement whether you need to submit that or not on the website.
If you two have a joint bank account, you can submit the bank statement of that account.
For the amount of money, I am not sure how much you have to show.
As a reference, you can check the amount for permanent immigration application, which is described on the website.

Good luck!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Need to correct some things. You will need to switch to visitor status because if you don't show up for your classes you study permit will be cancelled within 90 days. You can apply as the spouse of an international student but the owp is not guaranteed like when your spouse has pgwp noc 0, A and B full-time job with 3 pay steps. Spouses of international students do get refused. It will take approximately 4 months to get an OWP. Currently seems like it is longer. You can not work from now until then.

Aug 20, 2018
Need to correct some things. You will need to switch to visitor status because if you don't show up for your classes you study permit will be cancelled within 90 days. You can apply as the spouse of an international student but the owp is not guaranteed like when your spouse has pgwp noc 0, A and B full-time job with 3 pay steps. Spouses of international students do get refused. It will take approximately 4 months to get an OWP. Currently seems like it is longer. You can not work from now until then.

thanks ,so what you suggest shall i continue my study and apply in the mean time , or i should stop study and apply for open work permit.
thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
thanks ,so what you suggest shall i continue my study and apply in the mean time , or i should stop study and apply for open work permit.
thanks
That is a personal decision. Don't believe you can continue studying and applying for SOWP at the same time. You will have to wait until you hear back about OWP without working or studying. It would be advisable to apply for visitor status if you do not attend school in case your study permit gets cancelled and either your SOWP gets returned or in the end gets refused. You will still have valid status in Canada in that case. If your OWP gets cancelled you would have to return your home country or stay with your wife and try to extend your visitor status.

Aug 20, 2018
That is a personal decision. Don't believe you can continue studying and applying for SOWP at the same time. You will have to wait until you hear back about OWP without working or studying. It would be advisable to apply for visitor status if you do not attend school in case your study permit gets cancelled and either your SOWP gets returned or in the end gets refused. You will still have valid status in Canada in that case. If your OWP gets cancelled you would have to return your home country or stay with your wife and try to extend your visitor status.
i have tried to find out a options to apply on line but unfortunately i couldn't find anything over cic website. if husband and wife both are student then how can husband apply for open work permit? and even i could find any paper application form also,will you be kind enough to sent me any link so i can understand the way to make application either online or paper base . please help me from you end.you may can call me on 6475745212. really need you help