+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Change of school, program & duration of program

abjiskumar

Star Member
Jun 5, 2019
I am currently moving from a university to another university within the same province. Its a totally new program in a different field and I have the letter of acceptance from the new university. Meanwhile I am completing my semester at the current university. I have read the process to notify cic if I am changing schools. However the new program would also require me to extend my study permit by 6 months. So the question is :-

Should I first notify CIC that I am changing schools and then apply for an extension of the study permit OR
Should I first apply to extend my study permit and then notify CIC that I am changing schools
OR
Do it both simultaneously

This is a time senstive issue as I need to do it immediately. My new program starts in January.

Thank you!

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
I am currently moving from a university to another university within the same province. Its a totally new program in a different field and I have the letter of acceptance from the new university. Meanwhile I am completing my semester at the current university. I have read the process to notify cic if I am changing schools. However the new program would also require me to extend my study permit by 6 months. So the question is :-

Should I first notify CIC that I am changing schools and then apply for an extension of the study permit OR
Should I first apply to extend my study permit and then notify CIC that I am changing schools
OR
Do it both simultaneously

This is a time senstive issue as I need to do it immediately. My new program starts in January.

Thank you!

What I did, after getting new LOA, was changed my DLI online.
And then, applied for extension.

Reactions: abjiskumar

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Change schools. After you start your new program. When you are 5 months away from the expiry date of your study permit apply for an extension,

At the start

Feb 2, 2018
Hello
I have applied for student visa for Pgdm course BIM in Algonquin College, Ontario for January 2020 intake

I just got acceptance for Masc in environmental science and management from Memorial University, Newfoundland for September 2020 intake.

So can I extend my student visa to persue master at Memorial University ?

BIM course is of 8 months (till August 2020), so willl I get student visa extension?

What are the documents required for applying extension?

And last when should i apply for extension for Memorial University course which starts to Spetember 2020?

Or i just change the course and University after reaching there?

Kindly help guys
Thank in advance

Omo_bolaji

Jul 29, 2019
I currently have my study permit for January 2020 but I want to apply to another school and program for September 2020. I’ll start my program in January with a foundation course which ends in March. I don’t want to start the first year and later change in September because that would be waste of money because I already paid for my first year but once I get my admission i can request for a refund but I can’t do that once I start the main program so My question is can I take a break from March, the end of my foundation program till September when my new program starts?

At the start

Feb 2, 2018
Same que..what if cancel my January 2020 intake in order to start September 2020 course?

What will be my status in canada for January to September?

Or i have to comeback to India and then again go back to canda in September

Jass_1322

Dec 10, 2019
Same que..what if cancel my January 2020 intake in order to start September 2020 course?

What will be my status in canada for January to September?

Or i have to comeback to India and then again go back to canda in September
You should apply for Visior/Temporary Residence during that period, bcoz study permit applies only 150 days of exemption between study or change of college

Maheep

Oct 29, 2018
Sir my son is now in Conestoga Ontario for last 1yr now he is planning to chage to Quebec CDI college as he is unable to do his present course he plans to take social media management course which has more than 900hrs and gets ACS is he eligible for pgwp and does he require csq pls advice urgent pls help

Nol85

Jul 30, 2020
Hi guys,I am in the same boat. I am currently enrolled for Jan21 intake but I am planning to change my program and school. What should i do? TIA

Jass_1322

Dec 10, 2019
Hi guys,I am in the same boat. I am currently enrolled for Jan21 intake but I am planning to change my program and school. What should i do? TIA
You can change the college. Once you get the offer letter from the other college, just update the DLI number on your gckey profile