+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Change of program within the same Designated Learning Institution

KSDL80

Jul 12, 2017
Hi,
I want to change from 3 year advanced diploma program to 2 year diploma program within the same DLI after landing in Canada with a study permit. Do I need to get a new study permit or inform IRCC? Will there be any problem with my study permit?

Thank you,
Khin

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hi,
I want to change from 3 year advanced diploma program to 2 year diploma program within the same DLI after landing in Canada with a study permit. Do I need to get a new study permit or inform IRCC? Will there be any problem with my study permit?

Thank you,
Khin
Are you also changing area of specialization?

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Hi,

Thank you,
Khin
Technically, no. But you will likely face issues when you have to extend or apply for pgwp. VO would like to know why you downgraded your program of study after approval as it shows wrong intent in your initial application which may lead them to question your genuity.

KSDL80

Jul 12, 2017
Technically, no. But you will likely face issues when you have to extend or apply for pgwp. VO would like to know why you downgraded your program of study after approval as it shows wrong intent in your initial application which may lead them to question your genuity.
Thank you so much for your answer. It is helpful. In case, I choose the same program length but different specialization, would it be fine?
Thanks again.

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Thank you so much for your answer. It is helpful. In case, I choose the same program length but different specialization, would it be fine?
Thanks again.
If your new program is at the same academic level as your previous one, it might be easier to explain to VO. Either way, you'd need to provide an LOE on why the change of program.

Like I said - technically, you would not be violating your SP conditions if you change to a different program at the same DLI, but IRCC could still make things difficult for you down the line if they feel your change of program is not justified. Just bear that in mind.

KSDL80

Jul 12, 2017
If your new program is at the same academic level as your previous one, it might be easier to explain to VO. Either way, you'd need to provide an LOE on why the change of program.

Like I said - technically, you would not be violating your SP conditions if you change to a different program at the same DLI, but IRCC could still make things difficult for you down the line if they feel your change of program is not justified. Just bear that in mind.
Thanks very much for your explanation. I'll keep that in mind to plan accordingly.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

Thank you,
Khin
If you are switching to a shorter degree and in a different specialization I would strongly suggest applying for a new study permit. The approval was based on both a longer degree and a degree in a different specialization. Too many international students were applying for higher degrees and relevant programs and then changed to an easier degree that may not make sense given their previous education and work history after they received their study permit. That is what lead to the rule changes. It sounds like this is your situation,

KSDL80

Jul 12, 2017
If you are switching to a shorter degree and in a different specialization I would strongly suggest applying for a new study permit. The approval was based on both a longer degree and a degree in a different specialization. Too many international students were applying for higher degrees and relevant programs and then changed to an easier degree that may not make sense given their previous education and work history after they received their study permit. That is what lead to the rule changes. It sounds like this is your situation,
Thanks for your advise. Much appreciated.

Aug 30, 2021
Hi,

My DLI cancelled the program (P1) for Fall 2021 and asked me if I would like to defer or take another program (P2). The problem is P1 and P2 are on different fields but can somehow be related. I have deferred to Winter 2022 already but I asked them if there's a guarantee that P1 will run next term and they said they're going to making a decision by November as the number of applicants is still low. Will the IRCC acknowledge that it's not my fault if I take the P2 instead?

I still plan on taking P1 after I finish P2.
What are your thoughts on this?

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hi,

My DLI cancelled the program (P1) for Fall 2021 and asked me if I would like to defer or take another program (P2). The problem is P1 and P2 are on different fields but can somehow be related. I have deferred to Winter 2022 already but I asked them if there's a guarantee that P1 will run next term and they said they're going to making a decision by November as the number of applicants is still low. Will the IRCC acknowledge that it's not my fault if I take the P2 instead?

I still plan on taking P1 after I finish P2.
What are your thoughts on this?
When you say P1 and P2, are you referring to a course or entire program?

Aug 30, 2021
another question, is the entire program changes specialization completely or within same area of specialization/faculty?
Oh sorry if it's incomplete. So I'm a part-time graphic designer and I wanted to transition into user experience design (P1) which is the course I applied for. But since this was cancelled for Fall 2021, my university offered me the Business Analysis program (P2) which I also have some qualifications since my full-time job is related to it.

They come from different specializations but could be related since most businesses are going digital so they would need mobile apps, websites, and the like. Although, I could also use the learnings from either programs, I am worried about coming to Canada and finding out that P1 won't be offered the next term as well and ultimately compromising my approved study permit.

wonderbly

VIP Member
Aug 26, 2020
Oh sorry if it's incomplete. So I'm a part-time graphic designer and I wanted to transition into user experience design (P1) which is the course I applied for. But since this was cancelled for Fall 2021, my university offered me the Business Analysis program (P2) which I also have some qualifications since my full-time job is related to it.

They come from different specializations but could be related since most businesses are going digital so they would need mobile apps, websites, and the like. Although, I could also use the learnings from either programs, I am worried about coming to Canada and finding out that P1 won't be offered the next term as well and ultimately compromising my approved study permit.
No one here can guarantee that your desired course will be available next intake, only your school can. With regards to your study permit, IRCC allows you to change program within the same DLI, without needing to reapply for your SP. In your own interest though, It would be best if P2 in not a downgrade from P1 in terms of academic level. With what you have explained so far, they seem to be somewhat related so you should be fine on that front.

Reactions: approvemeplease