+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Change of Nationality and PR Card for Re-entry to Canada - Please help!

manytimes

Oct 8, 2012
Hello folks,

I landed in May this year in canada and eventually applied for the PR Card.
Following this I came back to the UK for settling things out and now am planning to return permanently to Canada.

I am now a british citizen (through naturalisation eligibility), but my Canadian PR card shows my previous nationaility (from a country that doesnt allow dual citizenship).

1. Will I have trouble re-entering Canada with my PR card and UK passport?
2. Do I need to apply for a travel document? (Note: I have had a look at the travel document guidance and it only asks for one if you do not possess a PR card or if its lost. On what basis will I apply then?)
3. I understand UK passport holders are visa exempt for entry to Canada. Does this help in my case?

Please help!

I am unable to contact CIC on phone to enquire about this as there is no number that leads to a human. But if you know a phone number that I could try, please let me know too.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Do you have a copy of your old home country passport? If you do, you can just take that along and if they ask, you can show it.

manytimes

Oct 8, 2012
Leon said:
Do you have a copy of your old home country passport? If you do, you can just take that along and if they ask, you can show it.
Hi, thanks for asking.

Yes, I still have the home country passport (which the PR card shows), as I only plan to surrender it to the authorities/local embassy after my return to Canada.

I was wondering in that case, if I still need to obtain a travel document in addition? Or is it sufficient to show both passports along with the PR card at the entry?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
manytimes said:
Hi, thanks for asking.

Yes, I still have the home country passport (which the PR card shows), as I only plan to surrender it to the authorities/local embassy after my return to Canada.

I was wondering in that case, if I still need to obtain a travel document in addition? Or is it sufficient to show both passports along with the PR card at the entry?
Just show both passports and the PR card on entry and ask them at the same time if you need to correct this with immigration, if it is a big deal to them.

Before you give up your old passport, you should get copies made. Certified copies would be better. You never know if you might need it. If you apply for citizenship for example or when you apply to renew your PR card, they want to see every page of all your prior passports to see how much you have travelled.

shekhawatmx

Star Member
Mar 28, 2010
Dubai UAE
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
22 May 2009
File Transfer...
16 june 2009 from CIO
Med's Request
26 aug 2009
Med's Done....
8 oct 2009 at mumbai INDIA
Passport Req..
17 feb 2010 by email
VISA ISSUED...
22 march 2010 got pp back on 29 march 2010
LANDED..........
20 Aug 2010
If u have not surrender Indian passport then show that at the time of entering Canada,don't show British passport.
I suggest you keep indian passport until you finish all govt paper work like,health card ,DL etc and then approach Indian high commission.
Btw they will return the passport after cancellation so keep in safe place for later use like OIC,PIO card.

vettoorlijo

Apr 14, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
6th june 2011
Passport Req..
25th june 2011
HI
Can you please send your experience regarding your nationality changing issue

Lijo

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
manytimes said:
Hi, thanks for asking.

PR card shows country of birth so changing citizenship won't be reflected here. However CIC are aware of this so your PR Card and whichever valid passport you provide will be ok for entry as both documents when scanned are included in the port entry travel record.

kumkum

Nov 20, 2013
I am permanent resident of Canada living outside of Canada for 2 years. My citizenship is bangladeshi which is written on the PR Card. Now i have japanese nationality and i have surrendered my previous passport. I have the copies of that.
Now i want to enter Canada.Can i enter using my new passport? My PR card is still valid.Please give me suggesstions.
Will there be any problem?

wahwah

Jun 30, 2011
Hi, i know of someone close who have re-entered Canada a couple of times last 12 months with no questions asked since he changed nationality 18 months ago. Either officers never noticed or no issue. Comments by the seniors up-posts are correct, imo.

Just make sure you have notarized copies of your old passport before you surrender it. You probably need to submit copies of it when you renew your PR.