+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Change of Name after marriage

Ramella

May 23, 2017
**Urgent Query**
Hello,
I am primary applicant and when I applied, I was single and recently got married, after that I informed ircc and they sent me list of docs to be submitted
My query is, if I change my surname now, will it be an issue? Or if I change my father name to husband name on passport, will it be a problem? Like do I need to send my passport again to them?

Or I should just submit marriage certificate and keep the remaining docs like my passport as it is?

Maverick28

VIP Member
Feb 5, 2017
Canada
**Urgent Query**
Hello,
I am primary applicant and when I applied, I was single and recently got married, after that I informed ircc and they sent me list of docs to be submitted
My query is, if I change my surname now, will it be an issue? Or if I change my father name to husband name on passport, will it be a problem? Like do I need to send my passport again to them?

Or I should just submit marriage certificate and keep the remaining docs like my passport as it is?
Have you changed your name already or are you thinking about changing it? If you have changed it, then you need to get a new passport issued as per your new name and then use a same person affidavit to support your documents with old name. If you have not yet changed your name, then it's better to do so first and then submit your updated documents.

Ramella

May 23, 2017
I am thinking to change it... So is it ok to change and submit affidavit? It won't affect my profile +? As my all other docs are of my single name
My consultant advise not to change it so I m confused

Maverick28

VIP Member
Feb 5, 2017
Canada
I am thinking to change it... So is it ok to change and submit affidavit? It won't affect my profile +? As my all other docs are of my single name
My consultant advise not to change it so I m confused
If you can go without changing it then that will be the best approach. However, if you plan to change it anyway, then it's better to do it now than doing it after your application or getting PR.