+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Change of Marital status

sageaugie

Jul 4, 2016
Hi
I am not sure if this is the right forum for this type of question and mods please feel free to move it if it is not.
My situation is unique in that I am on a work permit in Canada for 4 years now and on my last work permit I claimed "legally separated" when my wife left Canada and we were living separately after a tumultuous period in our marriage.
Now I have been invited to apply for PR under the Express Entry category based on my CRS alone. I wish to apply for my wife and kids too. Would I have to explain the change in circumstances in a letter of explanation or just let it slide since I didn't claim "divorce" or submit any proof of seperation?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi
I am not sure if this is the right forum for this type of question and mods please feel free to move it if it is not.
My situation is unique in that I am on a work permit in Canada for 4 years now and on my last work permit I claimed "legally separated" when my wife left Canada and we were living separately after a tumultuous period in our marriage.
Now I have been invited to apply for PR under the Express Entry category based on my CRS alone. I wish to apply for my wife and kids too. Would I have to explain the change in circumstances in a letter of explanation or just let it slide since I didn't claim "divorce" or submit any proof of seperation?
I don't see this as a problem. Legal separation doesn't mean that there is no possibility of reconciliation. Status changes happen all the time.

However, are you in fact reconciled? IRCC will be examining this very carefully for a PR application. Your spouse will need to comply with all of the medical and background checks. If this is a "reconciliation of convenience", in order for your spouse to gain immigration status, be warned.

sageaugie

Jul 4, 2016
I don't see this as a problem. Legal separation doesn't mean that there is no possibility of reconciliation. Status changes happen all the time.

However, are you in fact reconciled? IRCC will be examining this very carefully for a PR application. Your spouse will need to comply with all of the medical and background checks. If this is a "reconciliation of convenience", in order for your spouse to gain immigration status, be warned.
Thanks, Zardoz. Yes, we are reconciled and the PR would facilitate my spouse's return to Canada.
Do you think I should explain this in a letter of explanation? Is there anything else I need to show that we are reconciled? Also, please note that I don't need my spouse's application to meet the CRS threshold score.