+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CHANGE OF MARITAL STATUS FROM SINGLE TO COMMON LAW

Lady_Anne

May 24, 2016
Hi,

Just to ask something, I am currently here in Canada as PR. When I filled up my applications my marital status is single. Now I want to sponsor my bf - we've been together in one apartment for 2yrs way back in our country. Can I change my marital status from single to common law? Would it be possible? Any advice please.

Thanks in advance

Lady_Anne

May 24, 2016
Do you mean that when you landed as PR you were already living in one apartment?
hi,

no. we we're together way back in our country. I am alone here in Canada right now and he is currently in our country right now.

Thanks!

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
hi,

no. we we're together way back in our country. I am alone here in Canada right now and he is currently in our country right now.

Thanks!
Let me rephrase then. What are the years you lived with your boyfriend? When did you become PR?

Lady_Anne

May 24, 2016
Let me rephrase then. What are the years you lived with your boyfriend? When did you become PR?

Hi,

What are the years you lived with your boyfriend? That was 2013-2016.
When did you become PR? I came here last Sept 2016.

ContactFront

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2017
You should've declared your relationship when you filed your PR application.
You won't be able to sponsor him now because you said you were single whereas in fact you two were living together. He needs to immigrate entirely on his own.

Reactions: canuck78

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
You should've declared your relationship when you filed your PR application.
You won't be able to sponsor him now because you said you were single whereas in fact you two were living together. He needs to immigrate entirely on his own.
This. All PR applications clearly state that if you are common-law or married your partner needs to be declared or else they are forever excluded. Not even marriage can make him eligible to be sponsored. Since you went through the MPNP route, you may want to help him do the same instead.

Lady_Anne

May 24, 2016
This. All PR applications clearly state that if you are common-law or married your partner needs to be declared or else they are forever excluded. Not even marriage can make him eligible to be sponsored. Since you went through the MPNP route, you may want to help him do the same instead.
If ever that I already have my citizenship and I come home yearly, thus this establish our common law status?

Thanks for the advise.

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
If ever that I already have my citizenship and I come home yearly, thus this establish our common law status?

Thanks for the advise.
Becoming a citizen, going back to the Philippines every year, and once again even marrying him will not change a thing. He is FOREVER EXCLUDED. Period. No ifs and buts. You CANNOT sponsor him as he should have been included in your PR application as your common law spouse BEFORE you landed in September of 2016. You CANNOT reverse that anymore.

Focus on helping him migrate through MPNP like you did.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

Thanks for the advise.
Understand that you committed misrepresentation by failing to declare your common-law partner. As stated above, he is forever excluded from the Family Class and you will never be able to sponsor him.

Lady_Anne

May 24, 2016
Becoming a citizen, going back to the Philippines every year, and once again even marrying him will not change a thing. He is FOREVER EXCLUDED. Period. No ifs and buts. You CANNOT sponsor him as he should have been included in your PR application as your common law spouse BEFORE you landed in September of 2016. You CANNOT reverse that anymore.

Focus on helping him migrate through MPNP like you did.

Noted on this. Thanks for the advise☺