+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Change of Marital Status before landing

AbhiBarth

Mar 3, 2018
Hello everyone,

I am currently on a Post Graduate Work Permit. I applied for the Express Entry program in Feb, 2018 and received a confirmation to submit my passport recently. I am expecting the passport back with visa within the next few days. I am flying home on the 13th of April and will be getting married on the 19th. I was hoping to land back in Canada (landing/COPR) by the end of April. My spouse-to- be is not a Canadian or a PR holder. I will inform CIC immediately after the wedding that my marital status has just changed and that I will not be sponsoring my spouse on this ongoing application.

Should I land or flagpole before the 13th of April? If I do so, how will I travel back to Canada without a PR card? Also, am I jeopardising my application by changing my marital status despite informing CIC that I am not sponsoring my spouse on the current application? I need to be back in Canada by the end of the month for work. I understand that moving the wedding dates forward is the best bet but this would be a great inconvenience to both families.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello everyone,

I am currently on a Post Graduate Work Permit. I applied for the Express Entry program in Feb, 2018 and received a confirmation to submit my passport recently. I am expecting the passport back with visa within the next few days. I am flying home on the 13th of April and will be getting married on the 19th. I was hoping to land back in Canada (landing/COPR) by the end of April. My spouse-to- be is not a Canadian or a PR holder. I will inform CIC immediately after the wedding that my marital status has just changed and that I will not be sponsoring my spouse on this ongoing application.

Should I land or flagpole before the 13th of April? If I do so, how will I travel back to Canada without a PR card? Also, am I jeopardising my application by changing my marital status despite informing CIC that I am not sponsoring my spouse on the current application? I need to be back in Canada by the end of the month for work. I understand that moving the wedding dates forward is the best bet but this would be a great inconvenience to both families.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
1 - If you finish your landing process before the marriage then you can only come back to Canada if you have a PRTD or if you land in the States and cross the border on a private vehicle.

2 - If you update IRCC on your marital status you will be required to provide several documents such as marriage certificate, medicals, police certificates, proof of funds (if applicable), etc. The fact that you want to add her as "non-accompanying" is irrelevant.

Reactions: AbhiBarth

AbhiBarth

Mar 3, 2018
1 - If you finish your landing process before the marriage then you can only come back to Canada if you have a PRTD or if you land in the States and cross the border on a private vehicle.

2 - If you update IRCC on your marital status you will be required to provide several documents such as marriage certificate, medicals, police certificates, proof of funds (if applicable), etc. The fact that you want to add her as "non-accompanying" is irrelevant.
Thanks Del. Another question please: Can I forego my Express Entry application after I get my passport back? If so, what would be the process for that?

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks Del. Another question please: Can I forego my Express Entry application after I get my passport back? If so, what would be the process for that?
Contact your Visa Office once you receive your passport back. You will have to return your COPR.

Reactions: AbhiBarth

syedeali

Apr 24, 2018
Contact your Visa Office once you receive your passport back. You will have to return your COPR.
Hello DelPiero

I really need your opinion on my case, I got married after receiving copr. I informed CIC and they responded me to submit my spouse's PCC,Medical etc. All the requested docs were submitted on April 4th next day spouse UCI number was generated and medical turned passed but no update since then. Two weeks back I emailed CIC for status got a response that its in queue for review with visa officer. Any idea how much time will it take?

Also most important - CIC did not ask me to return copr till now, I usually see they ask to return copr in this case. I am worried my case shouldn't stand odd.

rehmanibad

Jan 23, 2019
hello guys, I need help from you.

I have been issues the immigration visa in Jan 2019 which expires in Sept 2019, therefore I have to make a Landing in Canada before Sept 2019. Now I may be getting married in between them. I don't know what to do? Should I inform CIC or anyone about it, and if yes how? Secondly if I don't inform them at this time and make a landing, do I inform them there?? I am so confused.

Seeking help.

Arty

Aug 23, 2019
Hi
I have questions regarding about my marital status in my passport I do renew but I didn't change into married because all the Emails that I received they still quoted in my single surname?
Then I received Email urgent that I need to submit my passport.
By any change if possible I got problem when I landes in canada because I am using my passport using my surname as single.
But before we apply for my PR we already married me and my husband.? And no one advising me to change it. Do I jeopardize
Thanks for any response

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hi
I have questions regarding about my marital status in my passport I do renew but I didn't change into married because all the Emails that I received they still quoted in my single surname?
Then I received Email urgent that I need to submit my passport.
By any change if possible I got problem when I landes in canada because I am using my passport using my surname as single.
But before we apply for my PR we already married me and my husband.? And no one advising me to change it. Do I jeopardize
Thanks for any response
Your post is confusing, did you apply for PR as married or single ? You seem to be saying you were in fact already married when you applied but your passport is in your single name ? What name did you use for the PR application, the single name as per your passport ?

Arty

Aug 23, 2019
I am confused also because my husband do the application so now that I received the Email for PPR requested
I am confused if I need it to get change my status in my passport right away before I submit but I only have 30days f only to submit?
Please advise wha

Arty

Aug 23, 2019
I am confused also because my husband do the application so now that I received the Email for PPR requested
I am confused if I need it to get change my status in my passport right away before I submit but I only have 30days f only to submit?
I am do fill up all the form in under name not in my husband name
Even I am married
Please advise what the best we can do?
We both don't know what to do
Thank you

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
Sounds to me like you applied as single, when you were infact married. Hope you didn't do that, as that is misrepresentation.

Arty

Aug 23, 2019
I ask to my husband he said under married
And also I am fill up all the form in status as a marriage
I am under of family sponsorship
Also we submit all the documents related to our marriage like marriage certificate photos?
If possible that I might be able not landed in our target date because of this
Do I might have a problem on this when I am landed in Canada?
For officers verification?

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
So you are getting more and more confusing. What did you use for identification on the spousal sponsorship?