+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Change of marital status after receiving CSQ (Quèbec Selection Certificate)

pedi123

Mar 25, 2010
Hello,

I was wondering if someone could advise me in this case: I live in Switzerland. I had applied for Quebec immigration a few months ago as a single applicant, and I've now received my CSQ (Cértificat de Sélection du Quèbec) a few days ago. So here's my question:

I should prepare the documents to send to the embassy for Canadian visa (for PR). Now if I get married in the following months, should I restart the whole application process (even the Quèbec selection process) for my wife? It's mentioned in CSQ that they should be notified in case of marriage and also an amount of 150 CAD should be paid for my wife. But how long will this hinder the process? And more importantly, what if I've already sent out my documents and I'm waiting for the visa? Will the change invalidate my own CSQ as well?

And finally, as we're kind of flexible on the date, in general is it better that we get married sooner and then proceed with the immigration process, or do you suggest that we delay our marriage until I've received my PR?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You will have to let them know if you get married but I do not know how long it will delay your application, hopefully not too much.

It will however also be a problem if you wait until you get the PR and then get married. As a PR, you would have to be in Canada to sponsor your spouse. If your spouse is visa exempt, she could join you in Canada but until she gets her PR, she would be on a visitor status with no health care and not allowed to work and at best, it will take several months for her to get the PR.

Another problem that might come up is that immigration may think you were somehow trying to defraud them. Generally they don't like it if you delay a marriage until after getting PR because some people use that in the case of an inadmissible spouse, one who has excessive medical problems etc. Therefore, they might be suspicious if you marry very soon after getting your PR and might want proof that you did not live together for 12 months before getting married because if you had, you would have been seen as common-law under Canadian law in which case, you would have had to include your wife on your application.

pedi123

Mar 25, 2010
Thanks for your complete reply, it was of great help. So it seems that in any case it's better to marry sooner and announce them the change of status. Hopefully it won't just restart my whole Quebec selection process (for which I already have the certificate). Do you know if we get married after I send out the documents for PR, it will invalidate the CSQ as well??? Should we start reapplying for the Quebec selection for my wife or can she be joined to my application for PR?

Thanks again.

igbehinadara

Champion Member
Dec 6, 2009
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Avo
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Dec 2015
Nomination.....
Nov 2016
IELTS Request
NA
VISA ISSUED...
July 2017
LANDED..........
October 2017
Leon have spoken well.Get married now and do an update.

Ig

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pedi123 said:
Thanks for your complete reply, it was of great help. So it seems that in any case it's better to marry sooner and announce them the change of status. Hopefully it won't just restart my whole Quebec selection process (for which I already have the certificate). Do you know if we get married after I send out the documents for PR, it will invalidate the CSQ as well??? Should we start reapplying for the Quebec selection for my wife or can she be joined to my application for PR?

Thanks again.
When somebody sponsors a spouse in Quebec, the spouse needs a CSQ so I think it's very likely that the wife will need a CSQ as well if you add her to your application. However, since you are the primary applicant and you already have one, it should take a lot less time to get one for your wife too.

echoes1978

Apr 8, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My girlfriend and I live together for 10 months and our wedding is scheduled for june 2010. We heard that NOC 38 list will change, so we are thinking about sending the application for skilled worker now, as a common law, and when the time comes for proof stuff and all documents, we will be married, so we can change our status and make a proof of that. Is this acceptable for the visa office or not? Do they care how long did we lived together before official marriage or not? :'(

engotko

Aug 22, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-04-2014
Passport Req..
07/08/2014
VISA ISSUED...
27/08/2014
SENIORS NEED HELP! Change of marital status after receiving CSQ

PLS HELP... i received my csq and applied for PR, now I'm in a common law relationship and I would like to add my partner. my question is,to be able to get a CSQ for my partner, do we need to go through all the process again (eg another interview)? anybody has any experience in this? thanks thanks thanks...

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is not a question that you would like to add your partner, you have to. If you do not add your partner, you are committing misrepresentation when you land.

In any case, contact Quebec immigration and your visa office, tell them that you are in a common law relationship that has now passed the 12 month mark and because of that, you must now add your partner to your application. I do not know if you need another interview but they should at least tell you how to proceed.

Sharp2000

Star Member
Nov 26, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
ND
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
March 2010
AOR Received.
May 2010
IELTS Request
sent with complete documents
File Transfer...
March 2010
Med's Request
11/05/2012
Med's Done....
11/06/2012
Interview........
22/03/2012
Passport Req..
11/05/2012
VISA ISSUED...
waiting
LANDED..........
waiting..........
Hi Leon

I was single applicant when i had applied FSW. After two years, i got married with my GF. But I have not updated about my marriage to VO because it might be further delay again. In June 2012, I did submit my PP, medical report and RPRF. It has been almost 3 months since I sent all documents to NDVO. Now my question is can VO find my marital status while doing security check?? please let me know ur expert opinion.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sharp2000 said:
Hi Leon

I was single applicant when i had applied FSW. After two years, i got married with my GF. But I have not updated about my marriage to VO because it might be further delay again. In June 2012, I did submit my PP, medical report and RPRF. It has been almost 3 months since I sent all documents to NDVO. Now my question is can VO find my marital status while doing security check?? please let me know ur expert opinion.
They might not find out about it when they do a security check but how do you see your future? Are you going to immigrate to Canada and leave your wife in India? No? Then how do you plan to sponsor her once you are in Canada? When will you say you got married? As soon as you apply for her sponsorship and they see that you were already married when you landed as a PR, that means you will never be able to sponsor her plus you committed misrepresentation and could lose your own PR.

My advice, send them a fax or email right now and ask them not to issue your visa because you have gotten married and have realized that you must add your wife to your application. Then fill out the forms, get your wifes medicals etc. and send in those documents. Of course it will delay your visa but it is the only way.

Your other option would have been to wait for your PR, to go to Canada and land, to come back and marry and then to go back to Canada in order to sponsor your wife. Since you already got married, you do not have this option any more but even if you did, you see there are extra travel costs because you must land before you marry and you must go back to Canada in order to sponsor because a PR must be residing in Canada to sponsor so there would be several months that you and your wife would have been apart.

engotko

Aug 22, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-04-2014
Passport Req..
07/08/2014
VISA ISSUED...
27/08/2014
Hi leon, thanks for the response. i already informed the Quebec immigration and haven't received anything from them. I also received my medical request and i was thinking of waiting for their response before getting my medical exam.

keepthefaith

Oct 12, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
05-11-2013 remedical 03-12-2014
Interview........
01-06-2012
Passport Req..
11-02-2014
Hi! engotko. How long have you waited for a medical request? I received a notice that my application is received under federal just last month.

engotko

Aug 22, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-04-2014
Passport Req..
07/08/2014
VISA ISSUED...
27/08/2014
Approximately 2months

engotko

Aug 22, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-04-2014
Passport Req..
07/08/2014
VISA ISSUED...
27/08/2014
keepthefaith said:
Hi! engotko. How long have you waited for a medical request? I received a notice that my application is received under federal just last month.
Hi keepthefaith, have you applied for the federal?

EFK

Feb 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Any helpful advice on when would be the best time to get married?
If a future spouse does not have enough points to qualify as a couple, then is it better to wait until the principle gets the QSC and then get married (And add spouse), before PR? Will the points be recalculated or not anymore at this stage?
which is the best time to get married, while undergoing the Quebec application?