+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Change of institution

Navneet Mann

Sep 17, 2021
I am presently in Canada and found difficulties in region where i had to study.I mean the region where my college is. So withdrawal from institution and applied for another there institution which is in different region for same intake but after 10 days that institution sent me mail that, intake is closed and apply for next intake. And now i applied for next intake and got offer letter. But time between starting my classes is 4 months and till then i have to wait. I am presently staying in Canada on my own expenses. Is it legal.?

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018
I am presently in Canada and found difficulties in region where i had to study.I mean the region where my college is. So withdrawal from institution and applied for another there institution which is in different region for same intake but after 10 days that institution sent me mail that, intake is closed and apply for next intake. And now i applied for next intake and got offer letter. But time between starting my classes is 4 months and till then i have to wait. I am presently staying in Canada on my own expenses. Is it legal.?
Are you currently enrolled and actively studying?

Here’s the official info from IRCC regarding change of DLI:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/change-schools.html

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018
No right now i am not studying and i withdrawal from previous institution and waiting next institution's classes to start
According to IRCC:

Changing your school or program
Before you change your school or program, you must meet all the conditions of your study permit. This means you must be:

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
How long did you study? Rules have changed and if you are not actively studying in your current program, you need to apply for a new study permit.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I haven't took any class yet. I am new to canada
So you need to apply for a new study permit if you didn't study with the DLI on your current permit. You never were "actively" studying so don't meet conditions to change current permit. In the meantime, your school should be notifying IRCC to cancel your study permit.

Reactions: rogelcorral

Navneet Mann

Sep 17, 2021
So you need to apply for a new study permit if you didn't study with the DLI on your current permit. You never were "actively" studying so don't meet conditions to change current permit. In the meantime, your school should be notifying IRCC to cancel your study permit.
What if i got accepted by other institution which is also government approved,has dli number
Still i need re-apply for study permit?
I haven't unregistered by my previous institution yet. Withdrawal process is going on

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Also you said "you had difficulties" in the region (assume province). How do you know if you never started your program if you were going to have difficulties? How long have you been in the province to have such difficulties?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
What if i got accepted by other institution which is also government approved,has dli number
Still i need re-apply for study permit?
I haven't unregistered by my previous institution yet. Withdrawal process is going on
You need a new study permit if you have never studied at the school on your current permit. You are changing DLIs so need new permit.

Navneet Mann

Sep 17, 2021
Also you said "you had difficulties" in the region (assume province). How do you know if you never started your program if you were going to have difficulties? How long have you been in the province to have such difficulties?
I am here from last 15 days. And applied for withdrawal from my institution.
I just want to know what i will happen if i get accepted by other dli approved institution. And then my refund application proceeded

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018
I am here from last 15 days. And applied for withdrawal from my institution.
I just want to know what i will happen if i get accepted by other dli approved institution. And then my refund application proceeded
As advised, you need to apply for a new study permit. You are not currently studying and if I understand you correctly, already applied for a widrawal from your current DLI. Suggest to apply for a change to visitor status so that you can stay legally in Canada while you are processing your new SP.