+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Change of Citizenship while waiting for Canadian PR

mlisj123

Apr 6, 2015
Hi All,

Currently im holding a Sri Lankan passport and also a Singapore PR. I have also applied Canadian PR and currently it is in process. I would like to apply for Singapore Citizenship as i am eligible but would this interfere with canadian PR.? Singapore does not allow dual citizenship (planning to give up Sri Lankan citizenship) , so I were to change my passport would I still be able to keep the canadian PR? Please advice. Thanks

susmithaburra1989

Star Member
Apr 21, 2015
Singapore
Category........
NOC Code......
2173/ 2171
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-May-2015
Doc's Request.
ITA 27-March-2015
Nomination.....
Express Entry FSW
AOR Received.
13-May-2015
IELTS Request
N/A Ielts exam taken on March 2014
File Transfer...
Additional docs request 19-May-2015 (scheduleA)
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
18-Apr-2015
LANDED..........
19 January 2016
you should update CIC if your citizenship changes.. in the process..
not sure what the decision will be later on... until you actually get ur singapore citizenship in hand you are still applying candian pr using ur srilankan passport.
the issue here is when is your singapore citizenship gona get finalized..
if u get PPR based on ur srilankan passport and then u have already given up that passport... then i think there might be issue.

mlisj123 said:
Hi All,

Currently im holding a Sri Lankan passport and also a Singapore PR. I have also applied Canadian PR and currently it is in process. I would like to apply for Singapore Citizenship as i am eligible but would this interfere with canadian PR.? Singapore does not allow dual citizenship (planning to give up Sri Lankan citizenship) , so I were to change my passport would I still be able to keep the canadian PR? Please advice. Thanks

dannypm

Apr 1, 2015
Hi mlisj123,

what did you end up doing? I am also in the same situation where my Canadian PR is in process with my country of birth passport and am approved for citizenship of the country where I have been living for past few years.

Please let me know what did you do

Thanks a lot