+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

change of address (US to Canada)

cananner

Mar 3, 2019
AOR Received.
14-08-2019
Hi there,

We went to the post office today to complete a Change of Address form and hand it in, since USPS.com states:

You cannot submit a Change of Address online from an international address.
If you are moving to an International address outside of the United States, you will need to fill out the same Change of Address (COA) form PS Form 3575 that is filed for a domestic move at your Local Post Office™.

All of the employees seemed baffled that we were attempting to do an international change of address, argued that it wouldn't work, and denied what the website said until we showed them the page on our phones. They took our forms in the end, but it was an unpleasant experience.

Has anyone else had major problems when it came to changing their address? Are there any other steps we should take?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
A lot of people in the US are baffled that other countries exist.

When I went to get photos for my PR, I asked them to do it as per Canada's specification. The employee was flabbergasted to learn that Canada doesn't just use the "normal" photos. She was even more surprised that the software on the Walgreens computer had options for many countries. She had never had to use that before and simply didn't know that other countries use different photos.

Regarding your change of address - I looked into this and decided it would be easier to maintain a forwarding address in the US. I pay $20 a month to receive mail, and then I can use an online tool to see if I want any mail forwarded to me. The company can send it anywhere in the world (obviously I pay for the courier), and they can also open the mail, scan it and send me an email (still paid, but cheaper than forwarding). Or I can just ask them to trash the mail if I don't want it.

jetsons

Star Member
Jan 31, 2018

When I went to get photos for my PR, I asked them to do it as per Canada's specification. The employee was flabbergasted to learn that Canada doesn't just use the "normal" photos. She was even more surprised that the software on the Walgreens computer had options for many countries. She had never had to use that before and simply didn't know that other countries use different photos.

Regarding your change of address - I looked into this and decided it would be easier to maintain a forwarding address in the US. I pay $20 a month to receive mail, and then I can use an online tool to see if I want any mail forwarded to me. The company can send it anywhere in the world (obviously I pay for the courier), and they can also open the mail, scan it and send me an email (still paid, but cheaper than forwarding). Or I can just ask them to trash the mail if I don't want it.

Hi 21Goose,

Would you be able to share the name of company whose mail forwarding services you have acquired?

jetsons

Star Member
Jan 31, 2018
Hi there,

We went to the post office today to complete a Change of Address form and hand it in, since USPS.com states:

You cannot submit a Change of Address online from an international address.
If you are moving to an International address outside of the United States, you will need to fill out the same Change of Address (COA) form PS Form 3575 that is filed for a domestic move at your Local Post Office™.

All of the employees seemed baffled that we were attempting to do an international change of address, argued that it wouldn't work, and denied what the website said until we showed them the page on our phones. They took our forms in the end, but it was an unpleasant experience.

Has anyone else had major problems when it came to changing their address? Are there any other steps we should take?

@cananner , I went to my local USPS office today and the lady at the counter was friendly and she gave me movers guide ( PS FORM 3575) to fill in and she told me once I complete it and submit it I should receive mails at my canadian address at no extra charge. I also called the 1800-ask-usps but the person didn't know much and was pretty much reading whatever is there online,

Since you have already submitted the form would you be able to let me know whenever you start receiving mails at your canadian address please? I just want to ensure this would work :)
It would be of great help.

Last edited:

cananner

Mar 3, 2019
AOR Received.
14-08-2019

Thank you!

At least the Walgreens had software to explain what to do! I went to a UPS once to get my Canadian passport photos done, since I phoned in advance and they told me they could take photos following the Canadian specifications. I mailed in the photos and they turned out to not be right, so I had to get them done again elsewhere. A real pain!

cananner

Mar 3, 2019
AOR Received.
14-08-2019
@cananner , I went to my local USPS office today and the lady at the counter was friendly and she gave me movers guide ( PS FORM 3575) to fill in and she told me once I complete it and submit it I should receive mails at my canadian address at no extra charge. I also called the 1800-ask-usps but the person didn't know much and was pretty much reading whatever is there online,

Since you have already submitted the form would you be able to let me know whenever you start receiving mails at your canadian address please? I just want to ensure this would work :)
It would be of great help.
Sure thing! You can definitely send me a message in a few weeks to remind me, since moving is so crazy I'll unfortunately probably forget...

This also seems useful: https://www.usa.gov/post-office. Especially the part about changing your address with government agencies, good reminder to deal with IRS, Social Security, etc.

jetsons

Star Member
Jan 31, 2018
Sure thing! You can definitely send me a message in a few weeks to remind me, since moving is so crazy I'll unfortunately probably forget...

This also seems useful: https://www.usa.gov/post-office. Especially the part about changing your address with government agencies, good reminder to deal with IRS, Social Security, etc.
Thankyou @cananner , will definitely send you a message. Good luck with the move!

cananner

Mar 3, 2019
AOR Received.
14-08-2019
Thankyou @cananner , will definitely send you a message. Good luck with the move!
Here with an update! We've gotten some forwarded mail, so it looks like the form worked out. I'm not sure what would happen if someone tried to send something larger than a standard-size envelope, but for regular mail, it seems to be fine so far.

Reactions: jetsons and 21Goose