+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Change Oath Ceremony Date?

Baher_2014

Nov 21, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

I received my oath ceremony invitation about a week ago. However I cannot attend to the ceremony as I have a scheduled trip for that week. I called CIC and they told me that you have to send a mail or fax to request for date change and there is no confirmation from CIC that they have received or accepted your explanation. If they don't accept my explanation, the application will be cancelled and I have to reapply for citizenship. Have anyone had the same experience or have you heard of anyone with the same situation?

Thanks a lot for your help!

omnomnom3

Apr 14, 2015
I don't have an answer to your question, but I would suggest you also send a copy of your flight itinerary with your departure and return date so that they know when you will be back.

OP_POP

Oct 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If it is possible (and if I were you), I would postpone my trip instead of the ceremony.

Baher_2014

Nov 21, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I can cancel my trip, but it costs me about $3000.
I talked to the local office and CIC, and it seems that they wont reschedule you before your first ceremony date. At that date if you are absent they will check your file to see if there is any explanation and then they will reschedule your date if the explanation is acceptable for them.
By the way when I talked to those guys in CIC and even local office, they told me that many people change their ceremony dates and its not so complicated, but its all my responsibility to go for trip or stay here for oath.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
Baher_2014 said:
I can cancel my trip, but it costs me about $3000.
I talked to the local office and CIC, and it seems that they wont reschedule you before your first ceremony date. At that date if you are absent they will check your file to see if there is any explanation and then they will reschedule your date if the explanation is acceptable for them.
By the way when I talked to those guys in CIC and even local office, they told me that many people change their ceremony dates and its not so complicated, but its all my responsibility to go for trip or stay here for oath.
The oath reschedule may take anywhere around 1-3 months (maybe less or more)
One of my friend was in his home country when he got the oath scheduled for January. He call cic and i think he might have sent some letter for reschedule. Now he got citizenhip oath letter in mid of April (oath scheduled for this month)

horse

Jul 2, 2014
I did reschedule my oath. As long as you write sth reasonable and it is the first time to reschedule, it is fine.

Baher_2014

Nov 21, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
horse said:
I did reschedule my oath. As long as you write sth reasonable and it is the first time to reschedule, it is fine.
Do you think a personal trip is reasonable? I am not sure if they find it as an acceptable reason for not attending the ceremony.

Baher_2014

Nov 21, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thecoolguysam said:
The oath reschedule may take anywhere around 1-3 months (maybe less or more)
One of my friend was in his home country when he got the oath scheduled for January. He call cic and i think he might have sent some letter for reschedule. Now he got citizenhip oath letter in mid of April (oath scheduled for this month)
1-3 months delay is okay for me. I dont want to see my application been cancelled by CIC.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
Baher_2014 said:
1-3 months delay is okay for me. I dont want to see my application been cancelled by CIC.
You need to convince CIC regarding your rescheduling of your oath by providing them with a solid reason.
Else don't take any chance. Get your oath and then arrange your trip.

Its your call. Good luck!

Baher_2014

Nov 21, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thecoolguysam said:
You need to convince CIC regarding your rescheduling of your oath by providing them with a solid reason.
Else don't take any chance. Get your oath and then arrange your trip.

Its your call. Good luck!
Do you know anyone who changed their oath date before? or anyone who was not successful?

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
Baher_2014 said:
Do you know anyone who changed their oath date before? or anyone who was not successful?
One of my friend was in his home country and his tenant in Canada checked the mail and got the oath letter and informed him about his oath. He either contacted CIC before oath or after oath and informed that he was in his home country ( i am not sure what reason he provided). His oath got rescheduled and after 2 months he got oath invite again and now he is a citizen.

femzade

Star Member
Dec 24, 2014
thecoolguysam said:
One of my friend was in his home country and his tenant in Canada checked the mail and got the oath letter and informed him about his oath. He either contacted CIC before oath or after oath and informed that he was in his home country ( i am not sure what reason he provided). His oath got rescheduled and after 2 months he got oath invite again and now he is a citizen.
I also have friends who received invitation to take citizenship oath with the date conflicting with already scheduled family vacation - booked and paid for. They wrote to CIC with the evidence and asked to be re-scheduled either prior to their trip or after. They were rescheduled for about a month after their return.

I will advise that once you are pretty confident about your residence and ties to Canada and your trip is important, just contact CIC to reschedule.

Good luck

bambino

Star Member
May 16, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
femzade and coolguysam, when was it your friends rescheduled their oaths? In the past year, or further back?

femzade

Star Member
Dec 24, 2014
bambino said:
femzade and coolguysam, when was it your friends rescheduled their oaths? In the past year, or further back?
Original oath invite was for February 2015. Rescheduled for April 2015 and they have since taken the oath and are now citizens.

Baher_2014

Nov 21, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks Femzade for your help!!! I will let you know about my application.