+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Change name in ON

naturalca

Mar 24, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Does anyone have experience with changing legal name after obtaining Canadian citizenship in Ontario? If I cannot find someone who knows me more than five years, can I hire a lawyer as my guarantor? Please share your experience. Thanks.

Freckle

Mar 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am planning to change my last name after getting the citizenship and before applying for passport, so I am interested to see the answers as well.

Reactions: naturalca

yanesrahn

Oct 7, 2008
ontario
Visa Office......
Buffalo
App. Filed.......
12-01-12
Nomination.....
28-11-11
AOR Received.
15-02-12
Med's Request
15-02-12
Med's Done....
21-02-12
Passport Req..
08-05-2013 received 10-05-20113
I legally changed my name in On before summit my application, it is an easy process you just have to complete the application, for me my bank adviser sign the form that I have been leaving here for more than 1 year, It took more than 8 weeks because they return my birth certification translation (it was original but they need more) so I make and English speaker certified in front of the Commissioner of affidavit that it was a real translation. You also have to sign the forms in front of the Commissioner of your city/town. I still waiting for my application to be in process and maybe if you do it before yo have your citizenship certificate your application will be a non-routine and take more time, I am not sure hopefully it will be not very long waiting.

Reactions: naturalca

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
Are you not married? Have you been married for at least 5 years? Does your spouse hold a Canadian passport?

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
No. I just want to change my legal name to an English/French name. Nothing related to marital status.
I was referring to the guarantor part of your question. A spouse, provided you have been married for 5 years and he/she has a passport they can do that part for you.

As far as a name change, I would suggest you get that done prior to obtaining your passport. I believe they will give you a new certificate (if you apply for it) when you've got full legal documentation of a name change.

Freckle

Mar 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I was referring to the guarantor part of your question. A spouse, provided you have been married for 5 years and he/she has a passport they can do that part for you.

As far as a name change, I would suggest you get that done prior to obtaining your passport. I believe they will give you a new certificate (if you apply for it) when you've got full legal documentation of a name change.
Do you mean they will give a new citizenship certificate after name change?

Freckle

Mar 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So, I did some research and apparently in my situation, if I want to change my last name, I need to do a name change on the provincial level first, then send my citizenship certificate with the name change documents to IRCC. They will issue me a new citizenship certificate with new name on it. And with that citizenship certificate I will apply for the Canadian passport. The processing time for Citizenship Certificate is 5 months :/ So, if I want to go ahead with this, I will be ~ 6 months without Canadian Passport and with my Citizenship Certificate at IRCC :/

trudeau

Mar 31, 2018
@Freckle, can't you first apply for your Canadian passport with your current name, and THEN apply for a name change? That way, you will still have a passport while you are waiting for the new Citizenship Certificate.

Reactions: CAN.east

Freckle

Mar 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@Freckle, can't you first apply for your Canadian passport with your current name, and THEN apply for a name change? That way, you will still have a passport while you are waiting for the new Citizenship Certificate.
I think, if I apply for a passport first, and then change the name, then I can't use that passport anymore, because I am not that person with the name in the passport.

naturalca

Mar 24, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Thanks. I never married and it's hard to find someone who knows me more than five years. Yes, I plan to get a new certificate before applying for passport.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
Thanks. I never married and it's hard to find someone who knows me more than five years. Yes, I plan to get a new certificate before applying for passport.
You have a couple options for guarantor. You can do a doctor/dentist/pharmacist anyone of that nature that knows you for 5 years or more, or you can use the Statutory Declaration in Lieu of Guarantor.