+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Change my status as PR

Sep 7, 2019
Hi guys,
I would like to understand what will the best way to make my application for my PR.

I arrived to Manitoba last June 5th and now I am living with my boyfriend. He is PR and he is working in a Company. Our relationship has been for six years.

Our plan is that he will sponsor me, but I have some questions:

1. Now I am visitor in Canada. I will apply to extend my stay on October. When I apply how can explain that I want to stay for more time here? Can I say that actually I am living with my boyfriend and our plan is apply for my PR as sponsor? (We know that we have to get married or apply like common law).
2. How long time can I extend my stay in Canada? Can I pay for one year?
3. I would like to apply in the same time for my work open permit. How long time have I to wait for that?
4. How long time have I wait for my PR?

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
Hi guys,
I would like to understand what will the best way to make my application for my PR.

I arrived to Manitoba last June 5th and now I am living with my boyfriend. He is PR and he is working in a Company. Our relationship has been for six years.

1. Now I am visitor in Canada. I will apply to extend my stay on October. When I apply how can explain that I want to stay for more time here? Can I say that actually I am living with my boyfriend and our plan is apply for my PR as sponsor? (We know that we have to get married or apply like common law).
3. I would like to apply in the same time for my work open permit. How long time have I to wait for that?
Have you lived together CONTINUOUSLY for at least 12 months AND have all the proof specified by CIC to prove it? If not, then you are not common law. If you are in Canada AND apply for inland spousal sponsorship, you xan spply for an OWP at tge same time. Once you have done this you can remain in Canada on implied status. OWP processing times are 4 or 5 m9nths. Spousal processing times are 12 months.

Reactions: Marcela Trujillo

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi guys,

1. Apply for the extension in November. Yes, state that you are becoming common-law so that you can apply for spousal sponsorship.

2. Ask for one year so you can apply for sponsorship. You pay per application, not for blocks of time.

3. You don't qualify to apply for a work permit until you apply for PR. It takes 2-4 months after applying.

4. Posted processing time is one year.

Sep 7, 2019
Then you start the 12 month common law period all over again
Thank you so much.
The big question is when I apply for my extensions visa on November can I say that I want to stay in Canada more time, because I am living with my boyfriend and a our plan is get married and apply for my PR?

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Thank you so much.
The big question is when I apply for my extensions visa on November can I say that I want to stay in Canada more time, because I am living with my boyfriend and a our plan is get married and apply for my PR?
Yes, that is a valid reason for requesting an extension , that you’re planning on applying for common law spousal sponsorship after the 12 month window is up
What you want to avoid , is applying for extension after extension and never going thru with the sponsorship. Seen sometimes the IRCC will eventually say” Ok, times up , you gotta leave “, that you want to avoid
If you get married now, then the 12 month waiting period is mute , that’s for common law applications

Last edited: