+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Change Marital Status Change from single to Common-law in PR process IRCC

androidxx

Jun 27, 2023
Hi all,

I am in the PR process via IRCC for the PNP (non-EE) stream. I just got a bio request and I am planning to get the bio next week. I am planning to get married to my partner in the next one to two years. And we are now "common-law" not officially. we have living together for a year and we have dated for 4 years. Is it possible to change my marital status to sponsor PR for my partner?

One more question, Does it impact my PR processing time as well? or it will be processing parallel?

Best Regards,

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
Hi all,

I am in the PR process via IRCC for the PNP (non-EE) stream. I just got a bio request and I am planning to get the bio next week. I am planning to get married to my partner in the next one to two years. And we are now "common-law" not officially. we have living together for a year and we have dated for 4 years. Is it possible to change my marital status to sponsor PR for my partner?

One more question, Does it impact my PR processing time as well? or it will be processing parallel?

Best Regards,
If you lived together, you are automatically common law now . You must have to inform IRCC about your status. Failure to do so will result in misrepresentation. You won’t be able to sponsor your spouse in future.

Reactions: YVR123

androidxx

Jun 27, 2023
If you lived together, you are automatically common law now . You must have to inform IRCC about your status. Failure to do so will result in misrepresentation. You won’t be able to sponsor your spouse in future.
Thanks for letting me know, so it is not optional. I should inform IRCC about it once we have lived a year right? Could you please answer the second question if possible?

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
Thanks for letting me know, so it is not optional. I should inform IRCC about it once we have lived a year right? Could you please answer the second question if possible?
It’s never optional. Onus is on you to prove that you are in genuine common law relationship. You have to add her in your application and application will be delayed slightly but processing will continue. You have to provide form like family information, background declaration form , copy of passport, fees , common law declaration form , medical, PCC . Once you send them webform regarding change in family composition, they will send you kit which will have all document. Note declaring common law was never optional. You must inform them asap .
After applying for permanent residence under the Economic class - Adding a family member

If you are the principal applicant of a permanent residence application already in process, you could add your spouse or common-law partner, dependent children, and their dependent children to your application, even if they were listed as a non-accompanying dependent in the initial application.

To do so, we invite you to send your add-on request by using the IRCC webform available on our website. You can attach the following forms and documents in the field reserved to that effect: