+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Change level of study

lostndamned

Jan 7, 2014
If i get a study permit for a master's course and decide to change to a lower level course after getting my visa what do i've to do? I understand that i need to notify cic about the change after June 1. Will they cancel my permit if i change to a lower level course than master's and change institution? Please help!

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I do not think so. usually if you change the program and/or a school AFTER you get to Canada you do not need to inform CIC (it is a right thing to do but not a demand). However, I am not so sure about lowering your level of study. On the www.cic.gc.ca they are talking only about the same levels.

lostndamned

Jan 7, 2014
Regina said:
I do not think so. usually if you change the program and/or a school AFTER you get to Canada you do not need to inform CIC (it is a right thing to do but not a demand). However, I am not so sure about lowering your level of study. On the www.cic.gc.ca they are talking only about the same levels.
Previously you didn't need to let them know even if you changed your study level but with the new rules you have to notify cic via mycic account. Read "Changing Institutions: Your Responsibility"

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-changes.asp

Isn't it possible to do a lower level course than master's with the same study permit as long as its valid?

lostndamned

Jan 7, 2014
Regina said:
before or after you get to Canada- that is a question!

There are also nothing about changing to the lower level. but I am not sure. Maybe there is something in Operational manuals?
Well, it can be either before or after. For instance, what if I finish one semester and then transfer to a different course, that will result in me notifying after I get to Canada.

I know there is no mention about lower level (only about level of study) but I've seen cases where some folks went after a 2nd bachelor's degree.

I know getting a visa for a 2nd bachelor's is almost impossible so this is my only option. Also, isn't it a student's right to study whatever as long as good grades are maintained? Please clarify.

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
student's right to study whatever as long as good grades are maintained
Not international students . International students MUST attend the university FULL time. (except in the very last semester).

You must notify CIC via your MyCIC account when you are transferring from one designated learning institution to another, even if it is at the same level of study.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-changes.asp

So you MUST notify CIC as soon as you get your acceptance letter from another university.