+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Change in marital status after ITA

SidKathuria04

Jul 21, 2019
I have received my ITA and am in the process of completing my application. I wish to get married before making a soft landing. In that scenario, do I need to inform the IRCC or the Indian High Commission? Should I plan my wedding before getting a visa or after? Also, what additional documents would be required for my spouse to get a visa along with me? How long will that process be?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
If you get married before you land, you have to inform IRCC, and you have to add your spouse to the application (whether accompanying or non-accompanying).

Your spouse will be asked to submit a medical, and PCC. This will add 3-4 months to the process, but if you just got your ITA, and are getting married soon, you can add them quickly and it won't take that much time.

If you wish, you can land first and then get married. You won't need to inform IRCC if you land first, become a PR, and then get married.

However, this will mean that you'll have to be separated from your spouse for about a year while you sponsor them through a family sponsorship. If you only just got your ITA, it makes more sense to add your spouse to the application now, so that you can both come to Canada together.

SidKathuria04

Jul 21, 2019
If you get married before you land, you have to inform IRCC, and you have to add your spouse to the application (whether accompanying or non-accompanying).

Your spouse will be asked to submit a medical, and PCC. This will add 3-4 months to the process, but if you just got your ITA, and are getting married soon, you can add them quickly and it won't take that much time.

If you wish, you can land first and then get married. You won't need to inform IRCC if you land first, become a PR, and then get married.

However, this will mean that you'll have to be separated from your spouse for about a year while you sponsor them through a family sponsorship. If you only just got your ITA, it makes more sense to add your spouse to the application now, so that you can both come to Canada together.
Hi. Thanks for the reply. But I am still not married. So can I still add my spouse to the profile? We are not yet sure as when we will be tying the knot, so in that case I think informing the IRCC after that would be the better option if am not wrong. Plus do we need her wes evaluation and IELTS score to maintain crs or is it not required? Another thing, what if we get married after I get my visa but before I land? What would be the scenario then?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Hi. Thanks for the reply. But I am still not married. So can I still add my spouse to the profile? We are not yet sure as when we will be tying the knot, so in that case I think informing the IRCC after that would be the better option if am not wrong. Plus do we need her wes evaluation and IELTS score to maintain crs or is it not required? Another thing, what if we get married after I get my visa but before I land? What would be the scenario then?

"Spouse" = married. If you aren't married yet, she's not your spouse.

If you get married before submitting your application, then you will have to see whether your points will drop below the ITA score because you added a spouse (points are calculated differently). If the points drop below the ITA score, then yes, you need to add her IELTS and/or WES to get the CRS score above the ITA score.

If your score doesn't drop below the ITA score, you don't need to send her IELTS scores/WES.

If you submit your application and then get married, you don't need anything besides her medical and PCC>

The rest of your questions are already answered .

Reactions: SidKathuria04

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Also, I assume you haven't already been living together for a year, right?

Tuaha Buksh

Jan 10, 2019
Lahore
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
"Spouse" = married. If you aren't married yet, she's not your spouse.

If you get married before submitting your application, then you will have to see whether your points will drop below the ITA score because you added a spouse (points are calculated differently). If the points drop below the ITA score, then yes, you need to add her IELTS and/or WES to get the CRS score above the ITA score.

If your score doesn't drop below the ITA score, you don't need to send her IELTS scores/WES.

If you submit your application and then get married, you don't need anything besides her medical and PCC>

The rest of your questions are already answered .
Hi, i received my ITA and got married within the next few days. My points after adding my spouse are above the threshold. However when i go to the personal information while filling the application, it is not allowing me to change my marital status.
Any idea how to do this?

Feb 15, 2021
Hello!

I got my ITA on Dec. 9th 2020 and my marital status was "Single" at that time. However, my marital situation has changed recently as I got married on Feb. 1st 2021 and my spouse will not be accompanying me at the moment and so my current points for eligibility remains unchanged. When I amend my details to my application to include my Spouse details I'm being asked to submit her details such as Police Certificate, Medical Exam etc. However, the deadline to submit my application is 10th Mar. 2021. I don't think I would be able to get my Spouse's Police Certificate before my application deadline since we just recently got married. Please advise what's the best possible way to seek an extension for submission of my Spouse's documents.

Last edited: