+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Change in Employment Status

abdul12345

Feb 7, 2013
Hey guys,

I just had a question regarding change in employment status. I filed under the CEC and am waiting on my MR. I quit my current job, was wondering if I have to inform the visa office of this change. I am using a lawyer and my lawyer advises me that for CEC the application requirements are already locked in and we can wait for the MR and then let them know that I quit my job, however from what I got in my AOR from the CIO this is what they said in one of the paragraphs

Please inform the visa office of any changes in your application (e.g. birth or adoption of a child, marriage or common-law relationship, new occupation or employer, change of address, change of e-mail address, change of immigration representative, etc). Please include a letter identifying what the changes are and any relevant supporting documents. If your documents are not in English or French, send a notarized (certified) translation with a copy of the originals.

Please let me know what you guys think.

mangcang88

Dec 10, 2012
I had the same situation as you. I informed CIC when I quit my job and email them again when I land a new one after 5 months later.

abdul12345

Feb 7, 2013
mangcang88 said:
I had the same situation as you. I informed CIC when I quit my job and email them again when I land a new one after 5 months later.
Thanks MangCang. Thoughts from other senior members? I would appreciate if anyone has any input to provide.

arbutus

Aug 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-Jun-12
Doc's Request.
28-Mar-13
AOR Received.
31-Jul-12
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
9-Apr-13
Med's Done....
10-Apr-13
I just wanted to say thank you SO much for posting this, I totally overlooked this part in the AOR, will e-mail to let them know of my own change in occupation asap! Thank you!

abdul12345

Feb 7, 2013
arbutus said:
I just wanted to say thank you SO much for posting this, I totally overlooked this part in the AOR, will e-mail to let them know of my own change in occupation asap! Thank you!
Thanks Arbutus. Although I was looking at the CEC Document checklist for what they talk about changes but they dont mention new employer in the list of changes that have to be informed :S. Don't know if it is required or not.

arbutus

Aug 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-Jun-12
Doc's Request.
28-Mar-13
AOR Received.
31-Jul-12
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
9-Apr-13
Med's Done....
10-Apr-13
You're right, it is confusing. Also, on the CIC website, if you search for CPP-O it says:

"Please e-mail us (OttPilot-Immigration@cic.gc.ca) in any of the following cases:

You change your marital status
There is a birth or death in your family.
You change your mailing, residential or e-mail address if you reside outside of Canada**.

**If you reside in Canada, you must use the CIC’s online form to change your contact information."

So I'm guessing changes in occupation aren't super high on their list of priorities since it's not mentioned there or on the Document Checklist. A change of job shouldn't in theory affect your application since it's all based on the circumstances at the time you applied.