+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Change in citizenship after L1A stamping

Anpman

Apr 15, 2018
Hello,
My company is offering me to go to USA on L1A ..I have Indian passport now and next mid year I will be applying for Canadian citizenship.My question is if I get L1A on my Indian passport and after 1yr I get Canadian passport, surrender Indian passport, how my L1A stamping will work?
Do I need to get new stamping done on Canadian passport?
If yes how complicated is that?
Please share your inputs.
Thanks in advance

justinline

May 19, 2009
No L1/H1b stamping is required with Canadian passport. Even when you surrender passport, you can get back the passport. When you get Canadian passport, while crossing the border ask for new I94 based off of the Canadian passport. They may ask why, tell them need to surrender the Indian passport. Once you get the I94 in the Canadian passport, go ahead and surrender the Indian passport.

Anpman

Apr 15, 2018
No L1/H1b stamping is required with Canadian passport. Even when you surrender passport, you can get back the passport. When you get Canadian passport, while crossing the border ask for new I94 based off of the Canadian passport. They may ask why, tell them need to surrender the Indian passport. Once you get the I94 in the Canadian passport, go ahead and surrender the Indian passport.
Thank you so much for detailed reply!
After getting I94 on Canadian passport, how does extension work for L1A ? Do we have to apply for extension from inside USA as usual process for Indian passport holder or that also changes with Canadian passport?
And I assume after extension , with Canadian passport we dnt have to go for stamping to U.S.A. consulate we just have to go to border -is my understanding correct?
Sorry for so many questions.

justinline

May 19, 2009
Thank you so much for detailed reply!
After getting I94 on Canadian passport, how does extension work for L1A ? Do we have to apply for extension from inside USA as usual process for Indian passport holder or that also changes with Canadian passport?
And I assume after extension , with Canadian passport we dnt have to go for stamping to U.S.A. consulate we just have to go to border -is my understanding correct?
Sorry for so many questions.
Extension remains same, just that Canadians are exmpt from stamping at the consulate. So apply for extension with USCIS, when approved, keep that approval while travelling.

Reactions: Anpman

Samoinp

May 30, 2017
What does getting "I94 in the Canadian passport" mean? Isn't that a separate online document automatically issued? AFAIK, there isn't any entry in Canadian passport at port of entry.

Reactions: Anpman

justinline

May 19, 2009
Extension remains same, just that Canadians are exmpt from stamping at the consulate. So apply for extension with USCIS, when approved, keep that approval while travelling.
They were still doing paper I94 on the land border, I got stub stapled to my passport, now that was few years back. Could be that they switched electronic every where now.