+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Chances Of Getting Admission in University of Alberta/Calgary

Faizanrao

Star Member
Sep 28, 2012
Hi!
Could you guys tell me about the chances of getting admission in University of Alberta/Calgary for Masters in Mechanical Engineering(Course work based) for september 2013 intake.Here is my profile

High school O level then did A level
Bachelor Bachelor of Engineering(B.E) in Mechanical from NUST(Pakistan)
CGPA 2.82 (Its First division as required by University of Alberta/Calgary)
Ielts 7band in IELTS
Experience Fresh Graduate

Faizanrao

Star Member
Sep 28, 2012
@Furqanali50 are you sure?
I am worried after reading some threads over here because CGPA is the only thing on which i never concentrated because of obvious reason that i wanted to pursue my career on Industrial level bur apart from that i have taught A level for around 4 years so you mean i can make it to Alebrta?

apart from me my two Batchmates(NUST) who also Did A level before engineering but with a cgpa of 2.8 and 2.5 so any chance for my friend who has a cgpa of 2.5 but he had an excellent academic record(6As in Olevel inc 96 in english,99 in Maths) plus he has been an excellent debater so any chance for all three of us?
We havent given GRE so is it helpful to give GRE for Alberta/Calgary?

Positive response will really appreciated :)

furqanali59

Feb 29, 2012
Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
10-12-2011
Faizanrao said:
@ Furqanali50 are you sure?
I am worried after reading some threads over here because CGPA is the only thing on which i never concentrated because of obvious reason that i wanted to pursue my career on Industrial level bur apart from that i have taught A level for around 4 years so you mean i can make it to Alebrta?

apart from me my two Batchmates(NUST) who also Did A level before engineering but with a cgpa of 2.8 and 2.5 so any chance for my friend who has a cgpa of 2.5 but he had an excellent academic record(6As in Olevel inc 96 in english,99 in Maths) plus he has been an excellent debater so any chance for all three of us?
We havent given GRE so is it helpful to give GRE for Alberta/Calgary?

Positive response will really appreciated :)
Nust has a very good repute all around the world and if 2.8 means that ur %age is still above 70% then u can certainly get admission in alberta/calgary. Its relatively easy to get admission in calgary and keep in mind that ur O/A levels scores doesn't matter for masters degree, even they wont ask about ur O/A levels score. i think u should go for it, u have nothing to lose even if ur admission is rejected, so y not give it a try.

Faizanrao

Star Member
Sep 28, 2012
Surely we all three will give it a try.
Any other guy who can guide me further or make me more hopefull?

rockers2012

May 8, 2012
It depends. You might get in with your academic qualifications if there is no tough competition from other students and admission closed on low percentage. So you have a chance. However, it is advisable to apply for 3-4 universities in general for avoiding any future hassles.

wfsoomro

Jun 27, 2012
Montreal
Category........
Other
Visa Office......
Sydney Nova Scotia
App. Filed.......
15-09-2020
Well bro I have done my Bachelor's from Sir Syed University of Engineering & Technology Karachi in Civil Engineering and I applied to the University of Alberta and my preliminary application was rejected. My CGPA was 3.25 and my IELTS score was 8.5 bands. 70pc in grade 12 and around 73pc in grade 10. So yeah I've heard one needs around 3.5 CGPA to get in there.

Faizanrao

Star Member
Sep 28, 2012
Ohk thank alot guyz!

@soomro Did u apply in a coursework program or thesis based Masters Program?
i heard there is a less competitive environment in Course work program as it is totally self funded program so is it right?

Buddy applying in 3-4 universities is not an issue.Basic issue is the Applicaton fee of 100-120 Dollars which is almost 10000 Paki rupee. :(

wfsoomro

Jun 27, 2012
Montreal
Category........
Other
Visa Office......
Sydney Nova Scotia
App. Filed.......
15-09-2020
Yar I once applied to researchwork and then once for coursework and was rejected both times.

I would suggest you to apply since there is a preliminary application first which is free.

If you want to apply in another university where you will probably get the admission, then try

Concordia University

and

Dalhousie University

rockers2012

May 8, 2012
Faizanrao said:
Ohk thank alot guyz!

@ soomro Did u apply in a coursework program or thesis based Masters Program?
i heard there is a less competitive environment in Course work program as it is totally self funded program so is it right?

Buddy applying in 3-4 universities is not an issue.Basic issue is the Applicaton fee of 100-120 Dollars which is almost 10000 Paki rupee. :(
well, you will be sure of securing an admission and will be eligible for applying your study permit. Imagine your tuition and accommodation expenses. That;s more than what you have to pay for an application fee. Think about this

Faizanrao

Star Member
Sep 28, 2012
Dalhousie,Concordia universities are asking around 15-16k which i cannot afford.

Alberta is an option because of its lower fee comparatively.Its around 9k so thats somehow i can manage.
Any other good universities that you guy know who have a max tuition fee of 10k per year on full time program (Course Work)?

Jojii

Star Member
Jun 13, 2012
NOC Code......
In my opinion, O/A level results don't really matter when you are applying for a graduate program. Also don't bother applying for a Masters by research program either. It will be a waste of time, energy and money. You need research publications and excellent academics to get into one of those programs. I know they are much cheaper than MEng programs, but the competition is fierce and places limited.

NUST or no NUST, you have to accpet that your GPA is on the lower side. You should apply for 2 good school, 2 reach schools and 1 low school. You should also take GRE and try to excellent scores (90 percentile or more) to mitigate your lower GPA. Also you should try and explain in you SOP the reasons behind your low GPA scores. The addmission committe must be able to relate to you when they look at your application. It can't just be numbers and statistics, in which you will lose.

I would say it again. A good GRE will help you a lot in getting to a better school.

Alos I would suggest not to look at school fees at this time. Apply to the best school you can and once you get the admission try to sort out the finances. Borrow, sell your car / property whatever. Saving 10-20k in shcool fees is not worth it. Trust me!! You are going to carry that school's name on you resume for the rest of your life. 10 lakh or 20 lakh rupees doesn't merit a lower teir school.

Cheer,
Joji

P.S. I have done my masters overseas and have been living overseas for almost 5 years now. So I would say I know a thing or two about applying to overseas universities.

Faizanrao said:
Hi!
Could you guys tell me about the chances of getting admission in University of Alberta/Calgary for Masters in Mechanical Engineering(Course work based) for september 2013 intake.Here is my profile

High school O level then did A level
Bachelor Bachelor of Engineering(B.E) in Mechanical from NUST(Pakistan)
CGPA 2.82 (Its First division as required by University of Alberta/Calgary)
Ielts 7band in IELTS
Experience Fresh Graduate