+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Chances of getting a PGWP with a diploma from this private college?

fonzybones

Mar 27, 2017
Hi.
I am planning to take a 9-month diploma program on Audio Engineering and Music Production from this college in Vancouver called Harbourside Institute of Technology. I am aiming for eventual permanent residence if all goes well.

Best case scenario: I could get a 9-month PGWP, get a permanent job offer, and eventually be nominated thru BC PNP for PR.

Worst case sceario: I apply for another study permit and take a 1 year diploma/certificate program in a public college either in BC or Ontario.

What are your thoughts on this ?

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

fonzybones said:
Hi.
I am planning to take a 9-month diploma program on Audio Engineering and Music Production from this college in Vancouver called Harbourside Institute of Technology. I am aiming for eventual permanent residence if all goes well.

Best case scenario: I could get a 9-month PGWP, get a permanent job offer, and eventually be nominated thru BC PNP for PR.

Worst case sceario: I apply for another study permit and take a 1 year diploma/certificate program in a public college either in BC or Ontario.

What are your thoughts on this ?

Your 'best case scenario' won't be as best as you might think since you won't get a PGWP for a diploma from a private school.

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

fonzybones said:
I forgot that to mention that this private college is falls under the DLI in BC- if that helps

Even if private schools are in DLI, doesn't mean all courses qualify for PGWP. From a private school (under DLI), you will get PGWP only for a degree course (no diploma/certificate). The only exception is Quebec where private schools qualify for PGWP (a private post-secondary institution that operates under the same rules and regulations as public institutions).

fonzybones

Mar 27, 2017
J5M said:
Hi,

Even if private schools are in DLI, doesn't mean all courses qualify for PGWP. From a private school (under DLI), you will get PGWP only for a degree course (no diploma/certificate). The only exception is Quebec where private schools qualify for PGWP (a private post-secondary institution that operates under the same rules and regulations as public institutions).
Ohh yeah I've heard. However, other sources are telling me different things. Do you think it'd be best to ask the college straight up instead? thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
fonzybones said:
Ohh yeah I've heard. However, other sources are telling me different things. Do you think it'd be best to ask the college straight up instead? thanks
You certainly can. But it doesn't matter what the college says - all that matters is what CIC decides. We've seen some people here be told by their colleges that they will qualify for a PGWP and then later they don't. Forget about the private college and pick a public college instead.

fonzybones

Mar 27, 2017
scylla said:
You certainly can. But it doesn't matter what the college says - all that matters is what CIC decides. We've seen some people here be told by their colleges that they will qualify for a PGWP and then later they don't. Forget about the private college and pick a public college instead.
Cool. Thank you so much for that. I came across Langara with a similar program instead. It's a 3 semester program (1 year full time) that grants a Certificate after graduation so I'm hoping this is better.

sharmad

Star Member
Aug 31, 2016
Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
25-02-2017
Hi Everyone!

I have received offer from GBC for T405 program. They have mentioned on their LOA "T405 is on average 25% online delivery. You may wish to confirm with Citizenship & Immigration Canada regarding Post Graduation Work Permit eligibility.". So does it mean this program is not eligible for 1 year PGWP? Can anybody confirm? Does it do something with DLI. Please help me friends.

Kaur019

Feb 26, 2018
Hi,

Hi....i have applied to NYIT vancouver for MS(INCS) program...it is private college...will i get PGWP after completion of degree or not?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Quality of education, employers impression of the degree, no protection from school closing or going bankrupt, quality of professors, lower admission standards, higher tuition usually,etc

A large public university that does research is usually the way to go if you want to do a masters degree. Not sure how you found out about NYIT. Not sure how many Canadian students they have.

Kaur019

Feb 26, 2018
Hi....i have applied to NYIT vancouver for MS(INCS) program...it is private college...will i get PGWP after completion of degree or not?
Sir if i will migrate from non spp to spp college after arriving in canada then will it affect my PR and PGWP?