+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Chances of being reported for RO breach with only one year left

NPconnoisseur

Star Member
Aug 24, 2018
Med's Done....
September 11th
My plans to move to Canada never really materialized despite making soft landing back in June 2019 with an intention of returning within an year. But, being the only bread winner & having to take care of financial mess my family was in back home, I was compelled to not leave job even for a single month. Fear of being jobless for months in a new country made postpone my plans once every few months and by the time covid ended I was already cutting it close, but was still well over 730 day mark.

However, even my plan to return in June 2022 for good and staying put until I complete 730 days didn't work out because of my company was not wanting to transfer my job from the US to Canada. I may try one more time before completely giving up on my plans to move to Canada, but wondering what are the chances of being reported by the CBSA officer at the airport upon arrival with just one year left in the first 5 year window of PR status.

Hypothetically speaking I'll only be completing 365 days towards my RO counting back wards from June 19, 2024. If I do enter, I won't be applying for PR renewal or work on family sponsorship until I am back in compliance. I know a lot has to do with the officers looking at my file, but with just one year left, will be even worth trying.

I really appreciate your input and I am fully aware I am already in breach of RO and every day away from Canada will make it that much more harder. I may be trying to have the cake and eat it too, but I wish I had a better plan from the get-go.

Last edited:

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
My plans to move to Canada never really materialized despite making soft landing back in June 2019 with an intention of returning within an year. But, being the only bread winner & having to take care of financial mess my family was in back home, I was compelled to not leave job even for a single month. Fear of being jobless for months in a new country made postpone my plans once every few months and by the time covid ended I was already cutting it close, but was still well over 730 day mark.

However, even my plan to return in June 2022 for good and staying put until I complete 730 days didn't work out because of my company was not wanting to transfer my job from the US to Canada. I may try one more time before completely giving up on my plans to move to Canada, but wondering what are the chances of being reported by the CBSA officer at the airport upon arrival with just one year left in the first 5 year window of PR status.

Hypothetically speaking I'll only be completing 365 days towards my RO counting back wards from June 19, 2024. If I do enter, I won't be applying for PR renewal or work on family sponsorship until I am back in compliance. I know a lot has to do with the officers looking at my file, but with just one year left, will be even worth trying.

I really appreciate your input and I am fully aware I am already in breach of RO and every day away from Canada will make it that much more harder. I may be trying to have the cake and eat it too, but I wish I had a better plan from the get-go.
Honestly, will it make a difference what chances anyone here says? If I say 50-50 and bob from accounting says no it's 60-40 or 80-20 (but we're not clear which way he means) - does that change anything?

My view is your chances are 'decent' in the scenario you state. But you won't know until you show up. Even if your ex ante chances are 'bad' but then you show up and it works - doesn't change what actually happens.

Your chances are better the sooner it happens - but you know that. That's the thing you can control (and also be a bit prepared with at least some reason why you didn't show up earleir).

So fish or cut bait.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Honestly, will it make a difference what chances anyone here says? If I say 50-50 and bob from accounting says no it's 60-40 or 80-20 (but we're not clear which way he means) - does that change anything?

My view is your chances are 'decent' in the scenario you state. But you won't know until you show up. Even if your ex ante chances are 'bad' but then you show up and it works - doesn't change what actually happens.

Your chances are better the sooner it happens - but you know that. That's the thing you can control (and also be a bit prepared with at least some reason why you didn't show up earleir).

So fish or cut bait.
Well said!

Reactions: armoured