+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Chance of Getting in Canadian Universities.

ranjan542

Nov 30, 2014
Currently I am working in a Internet Company at USA Full Time. I have been working for 2 years and I am planning to study in Canada starting Fall 2016 for MS CS degree. My choice of Universities are:
UBC, McGill, Toronto, Mcmaster, U Alberta and Waterloo
I wanna know what are my chances.
Degree: BS in Mech. Eng from Tier 1 University. (Few CS coursework)
: BS in IT- Software Development (Online Degree completed in a year)
Certifications: A+ Network+ Project+ Security+ Java SE 7 Professional
I had 4 months experience as a Teaching Assistant for Advanced Robotics class.. Will probably get good Letter of Recommendation from my employer and two professors.
Expected GRE : (V- 156 Q-164)
GPA - 3.42 (feel kind of low)

What are my chances of getting in at these universities ?
Am I aiming for that I won't be able to get in ?
Are there anybody who has similar experience and got into any of these universities?
Will my undergrad degree in Mech Eng and low GPA reduce my chance of getting selected?

Please help me.

Thank You,

danny4u2013

Star Member
Apr 24, 2013
Victoria, BC
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
18-08-2013
the univ. you listed are pretty hard to get into, even for people with good profiles but you should apply for any luck by chance, apply in winter or summer entry terms coz they get slightly less apps in these times....... good luck :)

ranjan542

Nov 30, 2014
Are there anybody else who have such profile and got into any of those universities ?
I have some friends from University I graduated who went to top 10 US university with similar profile but those were within their major. I feel confident about getting in ME degree but I wanna do CS.
Do they look for high school scores too? I have got an outstanding performance in my high school from which I can prove them that I am hard working for their research.

vash021

Star Member
Mar 28, 2014
ranjan542 said:
Are there anybody else who have such profile and got into any of those universities ?
I have some friends from University I graduated who went to top 10 US university with similar profile but those were within their major. I feel confident about getting in ME degree but I wanna do CS.
Do they look for high school scores too? I have got an outstanding performance in my high school from which I can prove them that I am hard working for their research.
maybe if you take the non-thesis route they'll admit you

luvly3

Star Member
Jun 4, 2014
People giving advice that the Universities mentioned by the op are hard to get into should try to give him suggestions on Universities he may be granted admission in with low grades

vash021

Star Member
Mar 28, 2014
luvly3 said:
People giving advice that the Universities mentioned by the op are hard to get into should try to give him suggestions on Universities he may be granted admission in with low grades
3.42 out of a scale of 4 is actually quite high

I was accepted at dalhousie university with a gpa of 3.3 in masters of applied computer science

ranjan542

Nov 30, 2014
vash021 said:
3.42 out of a scale of 4 is actually quite high

I was accepted at dalhousie university with a gpa of 3.3 in masters of applied computer science
Thanks, Did they give you some kind of funding too?

vash021

Star Member
Mar 28, 2014
ranjan542 said:
Thanks, Did they give you some kind of funding too?
canadian universities usually dont give funding on non - research courses

so no did not receive any

ranjan542

Nov 30, 2014
vash021 said:
canadian universities usually dont give funding on non - research courses

so no did not receive any
Can you tell me the total tuition mentioned on your I20 or admission packet ? I saw for Intl Student it is around 9K for a year. Am I looking at the right page?

vash021

Star Member
Mar 28, 2014
ranjan542 said:
Can you tell me the total tuition mentioned on your I20 or admission packet ? I saw for Intl Student it is around 9K for a year. Am I looking at the right page?
my tuition for the first semester is around 5.9k