+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Chance of finding a job-Hydrology

Sepideh81

Apr 2, 2019
Hello. In which city of Canada there is a more chance to find a job in the field of "Hydrology" or "Water Resources Engineer". We are new comers and we prefer to settle down where there is more chance of getting a job in the mentioned field.
Than

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
What region do you want to live in? Start with a job search there & apply for jobs. If out west, look at BC. Alberta has high unemployment rates. Are you a licensed P.Eng? If not look at technician positions or EIT positions, if you want to pursue your P.Eng.

Reactions: Sepideh81

KRP

Jan 13, 2012
Category........
FSW
LANDED..........
01/02/2011

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello. In which city of Canada there is a more chance to find a job in the field of "Hydrology" or "Water Resources Engineer". We are new comers and we prefer to settle down where there is more chance of getting a job in the mentioned field.
Than
Would be applying for jobs throughout the country and not commit to a city until you have a job. Job opening are likely based on luck. Would assume job postings in many cities will be due to people leaving their current positions and not new job creation so where job postings are located will be pretty random. Would try to apply from wherever you are if you can get a Canadian phone number. Without a Canadian phone number and perhaps address you are unlikely to get many follow-ups from employers. If you don’t get any calls would suggest going to somewhere in Canada for a few months and start applying throughout the country. Don’t lock yourself into a longterm lease in a city without a job.

Sepideh81

Apr 2, 2019
What region do you want to live in? Start with a job search there & apply for jobs. If out west, look at BC. Alberta has high unemployment rates. Are you a licensed P.Eng? If not look at technician positions or EIT positions, if you want to pursue your P.Eng.
Thanks for your reply. We intend to go to BC, one of cities near Vancouver which is more affordable. I am P.Eng. and my husband is EIT.

Sepideh81

Apr 2, 2019
Would be applying for jobs throughout the country and not commit to a city until you have a job. Job opening are likely based on luck. Would assume job postings in many cities will be due to people leaving their current positions and not new job creation so where job postings are located will be pretty random. Would try to apply from wherever you are if you can get a Canadian phone number. Without a Canadian phone number and perhaps address you are unlikely to get many follow-ups from employers. If you don’t get any calls would suggest going to somewhere in Canada for a few months and start applying throughout the country. Don’t lock yourself into a longterm lease in a city without a job.
Thanks for your reply. Actually that's a good point you have mentioned. Because my husband has been applying for jobs from outside Canada for a few months now. He has given my brother-in-law's phone number (who lives in Montreal) but has not received call backs. And of course we don't have an address in Canada yet. Maybe that is an issue, right?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thanks for your reply. We intend to go to BC, one of cities near Vancouver which is more affordable. I am P.Eng. and my husband is EIT.
Vancouver is the most expensive city in Canada so not really affordable. Are you a licensed as P.Eng in BC? If not, you need to look at if your license is transferable if you didn’t do your educatio/work experience in Canada. Same with EIT.

Sepideh81

Apr 2, 2019
Vancouver is the most expensive city in Canada so not really affordable. Are you a licensed as P.Eng in BC? If not, you need to look at if your license is transferable if you didn’t do your educatio/work experience in Canada. Same with EIT.
No P.Eng in Quebec. And we know that Vancouver is expensive, I was actually talking about cities an hour away from Vancouver, such as Surrey or Langley.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
No P.Eng in Quebec. And we know that Vancouver is expensive, I was actually talking about cities an hour away from Vancouver, such as Surrey or Langley.
They are still very expensive. Given that your husband has a pretty narrow area of focus I would not move to Canada wanting for live in a certain location and relocate where you can get the best job opportunity. Given that Canada is in recession this is even more important but I give the same advice to anyone new to the Canadian job market and without firm roots in one city including Canadian young people. You can have a goal of eventually making it to the greater Vancouver area but unless you are independently wealthy then you should go where you find the best job opportunity and apply for jobs throughout Canads.