+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CGA/CPA Canada points

atash85

Jan 29, 2018
Hi guys i wanted to ask if anyone knows if i have the CPA/CGA qualification from Canada if this would count towards my points. CGA said it is not a degree as such as but a licence/qualification. Since the qualification is from Canada in Canada it does not need to go through WES so how to i verify this for my application should i get an ITA? All i have is an email which says..

"
Hello, Atash

CPA,CGA designation is not considered equivalent to a university education, it would be more accurately classified as a professional designation/qualification/license depending on the options on the PR application.

As a member you have access to a Letter of Good Standing via My Portal, which will confirm your status as a member in good standing and your designation. You can access the letter by selecting Member Requets > Letter of Good Standing.

For more information on what types of services all members can provide vs. what types of services require an additional Public Accounting License, you may wish to contact our Professional Advisors, at professionaladvisors@cpaontario.ca.

Kind regards,"

Thanks all,
Atash

broko85

Jul 3, 2017
Hello thanks so much for your reply. When i add this qualification in my profile and select the option. Masters / professional qualification/ license... i get 15 points.

And i am getting a letter from the CPA ontario to say their qualification will fall under this category.

I understand there is a seperate section for certificate of qualification which is assessed as well..but i did mot select this option. Even though in ontario CPA/CGA are the licence body to assess your qualification to provide you with this trade certificate but you have to do an internship first which i cannot do at this time.

So by selecting the former and getting these extra points with the letter from CGA yo confirm the level this qualification is. Would this be correct or has anyone used CPA/CGA qualification to add?

I got my ACCOUNTING qualification ACCA assesses by WES and it was 3 or more years bachelor degree. Since WES do not assess canadian qualification as a back up i got the Canadian body to provide this letter and wonder if you think this will work?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello thanks so much for your reply. When i add this qualification in my profile and select the option. Masters / professional qualification/ license... i get 15 points.

And i am getting a letter from the CPA ontario to say their qualification will fall under this category.

I understand there is a seperate section for certificate of qualification which is assessed as well..but i did mot select this option. Even though in ontario CPA/CGA are the licence body to assess your qualification to provide you with this trade certificate but you have to do an internship first which i cannot do at this time.

So by selecting the former and getting these extra points with the letter from CGA yo confirm the level this qualification is. Would this be correct or has anyone used CPA/CGA qualification to add?

I got my ACCOUNTING qualification ACCA assesses by WES and it was 3 or more years bachelor degree. Since WES do not assess canadian qualification as a back up i got the Canadian body to provide this letter and wonder if you think this will work?
Do you have a Masters. WES is the ECA and so you get points for what they have given to you - a bachelor degree. CPA/ CGA Ontario is not a designated ECA so it will not increase your CRS points. But maybe I am wrong.

broko85

Jul 3, 2017
Hello again, thanks as i enter the CPA/CGA details on the EE portal as the qualification is from a Canadian institution there is no need or option for WES to get involved. They only assess all non Canadian qualifications.

Well i have requested the letter from CGA/CPA to indicate which of the options in the menu my qualification will be most suited for and hopefully if i do get selected for an ITA the officer will accept them. But i was just wondering if anyone used this as an option for points in a previous application.

Thanks again and will keep you posted. This will bring my points to 415 still short but the last draw was 417.

:-(

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello again, thanks as i enter the CPA/CGA details on the EE portal as the qualification is from a Canadian institution there is no need or option for WES to get involved. They only assess all non Canadian qualifications.

Well i have requested the letter from CGA/CPA to indicate which of the options in the menu my qualification will be most suited for and hopefully if i do get selected for an ITA the officer will accept them. But i was just wondering if anyone used this as an option for points in a previous application.

Thanks again and will keep you posted. This will bring my points to 415 still short but the last draw was 417.

:-(
So you have one year Canadian work experience, all you can do is hope the CEC draws go down.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
hello no i am not in Canada at this time
But you have one year Canadian experience, right?

But there hasn’t been an open draw for Express Entry since last year. Scores will be 468+. When you said the last draw was 417 that was for the CEC draw (Canadian Experience). CEC draws are always much lower than open or FSW draws.

So if you are in the FSW category, you need 468+. 415 will not get you a nomination.