Up Front: May 5, 2016
Passport Req..
not yet
VISA ISSUED...
not yet
LANDED..........
not yet
Hi all,

My wife who lives in the Philippines was recently approved for a visitor visa to come visit me here in Canada. We also have our Permanent Residence in process and we recently got our SA and AOR2, so things are moving along. :)

We know that for the permanent residence visa (when she receives it in her passport), she will need to go to the CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) office to get a sticker for her passport before she can leave the Philippines. She has already attended the seminar at CFO for Filipinas with foreign spouses prior to her applying for a new passport with her married name. We know there is a requirement to go back to the CFO once she has her permanent resident visa to get the sticker, but is this also required for her visitor visa?

She will be travelling here in a few weeks so we'd like to clarify that before she goes to the airport. :)

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
S_and_C said:
Hi all,

My wife who lives in the Philippines was recently approved for a visitor visa to come visit me here in Canada. We also have our Permanent Residence in process and we recently got our SA and AOR2, so things are moving along. :)

We know that for the permanent residence visa (when she receives it in her passport), she will need to go to the CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) office to get a sticker for her passport before she can leave the Philippines. She has already attended the seminar at CFO for Filipinas with foreign spouses prior to her applying for a new passport with her married name. We know there is a requirement to go back to the CFO once she has her permanent resident visa to get the sticker, but is this also required for her visitor visa?

She will be travelling here in a few weeks so we'd like to clarify that before she goes to the airport. :)

Thanks in advance for your replies.
She needs to have the TRV attached to her passport before travelling. Yes, this has to be done in the country where she applied.

alexy2016

Star Member
May 4, 2016
CFO only issues this sticker to immigrants after the seminar. And from what I remembered, the Confirmation of PR is a requirement to attend the seminar.

I am a PR from the Philippines and I went to Canada with my mom in 2014 who holds a visitor visa. No sticker needed for my mom.

But due to recent changes I think your wife needs an ETA for her visitor visa now.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
S_and_C said:
We know there is a requirement to go back to the CFO once she has her permanent resident visa to get the sticker, but is this also required for her visitor visa?
I don't believe that a tourist visa requires a CFO sticker but suggest you contact the office directly to ask.

Jalex23 said:
She needs to have the TRV attached to her passport before travelling. Yes, this has to be done in the country where she applied.
OP is not asking about a TRV. He is asking about needing a sticker from an agency in the Philippines in order for his wife to depart the country on a TRV.

alexy2016 said:
But due to recent changes I think your wife needs an ETA for her visitor visa now.
An eTA is only required for visa-exempt people. Those who need a visa do not also need an eTA.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
I traveled to Canada on a TRV and was not checked for the CFO sticker at NAIA. As previously mentioned, it's only a requirement for immigrant visas in Philippine passports.

I had my immigrant visa stamped in Ottawa and flagpoled, so I did not need the CFO sticker either. CBSA does not care about the CFO. :p If she gets PPR while she is in Canada, she can do this too.

S_and_C

Star Member
Apr 12, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila, Philippines
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 11, 2016 (recd June 13 by CIC)
AOR Received.
June 30, 2016
File Transfer...
SA: August 11, 2016
Med's Done....
Up Front: May 5, 2016
Passport Req..
not yet
VISA ISSUED...
not yet
LANDED..........
not yet
bellaluna said:
I traveled to Canada on a TRV and was not checked for the CFO sticker at NAIA. As previously mentioned, it's only a requirement for immigrant visas in Philippine passports.

I had my immigrant visa stamped in Ottawa and flagpoled, so I did not need the CFO sticker either. CBSA does not care about the CFO. :p If she gets PPR while she is in Canada, she can do this too.
Great, I think this is the answer I needed. I was wondering that in general a TRV does not need a sticker, but it wasn't clear if my wife needed it since she is married to a foreign spouse hence the requirement for the seminar in the first place. If this is the case then great, we won't need it. We also plan to have her reside on a temporary basis with me until such time the PR comes through and we can flagpole as you said. :)

Thanks everyone for their replies. :)