+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

certified true copies

eidmouna

Nov 5, 2021
We are applying for my husband (Dominican Republic) Outland. I am from Montreal.
The only thing we are currently stuck on is getting certified true copies for his passport, birth certificate and our marriage certificate. We are being bounced around like a pingpong.
I have asked 3 couples who have applied and none of them certified the photocopies. And their application went through. But I can't confirm if the instruction was there for them.

Has anyone else certified their copies with a notary? Or has anyone recently applied without certifying them?
Should i send my papers as is and hope for the best? I know the instructions say it has to be done but it this a reason for them to return the application if it's not?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
We are applying for my husband (Dominican Republic) Outland. I am from Montreal.
The only thing we are currently stuck on is getting certified true copies for his passport, birth certificate and our marriage certificate. We are being bounced around like a pingpong.
I have asked 3 couples who have applied and none of them certified the photocopies. And their application went through. But I can't confirm if the instruction was there for them.

Has anyone else certified their copies with a notary? Or has anyone recently applied without certifying them?
Should i send my papers as is and hope for the best? I know the instructions say it has to be done but it this a reason for them to return the application if it's not?
Are the original documents you need the copies of in English or French? Or some other language? What country (or province or state) issued them?

It really does depend on where the documents are from. Short form is that for most documents in E/F, only a photocopy is needed. Other languages: usually certified true copy plus certified translation (translators usually work with notaries or similar to arrange). Note, I assume for most countries just photocopy of passport page is fine as almost always have one of french / english in addition to native language.

Important: in some countries, copies must be done/certified at state institutions - some latin american countries esp. Don't know about DR but IRCC says no special requirements.

Comparisons to other applicants will really only be relevant if comparing to similar countries.

eidmouna

Nov 5, 2021
Are the original documents you need the copies of in English or French? Or some other language? What country (or province or state) issued them?

It really does depend on where the documents are from. Short form is that for most documents in E/F, only a photocopy is needed. Other languages: usually certified true copy plus certified translation (translators usually work with notaries or similar to arrange). Note, I assume for most countries just photocopy of passport page is fine as almost always have one of french / english in addition to native language.

Important: in some countries, copies must be done/certified at state institutions - some latin american countries esp. Don't know about DR but IRCC says no special requirements.

Comparisons to other applicants will really only be relevant if comparing to similar countries.
He is Dominican, all three documents are originally in Spanish. I had them all translated in the dominican to french when i was there but when i got here i read the because the translator is not certified here in Canada, she would need to privide an affidavit signed infront of a notary.. she gave me one but it wasn't signed infront of a notary. Even she was surprised as she works for the canadian Embassy and does alot of translations for canadian visa and they never required the signed in front of notary part or even certified copies...

All that to say, I am having originals delivered to me to translate here in Canada Again and send as is. But the passport has been a challenge.

eidmouna

Nov 5, 2021

OMG you are right, his passport does have English. how did i not see that!!!! i am about to cry right now!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I had them all translated in the dominican to french when i was there but when i got here i read the because the translator is not certified here in Canada, she would need to privide an affidavit signed infront of a notary.. she gave me one but it wasn't signed infront of a notary. Even she was surprised as she works for the canadian Embassy and does alot of translations for canadian visa and they never required the signed in front of notary part or even certified copies...
I do not understand what you did but the translator does not need to be certified in Canada, certified locally (ie in Dominican).

Let's make this simple: take your docs to a notary or certified translator, tell them you need certified translation and certified copy. Most likely the notary or translator will work with their opposite number (often in same building or office) and take care of both for you.

I don't know specifics for DR but in most countries if you say you need translation and copy, certified in way that would be standard for a foreign embassy, they'll know what to do (at least in capital cities).

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I do not understand what you did but the translator does not need to be certified in Canada, certified locally (ie in Dominican).
Important note for clarity: the translator needs to be certified in whatever jurisdiction the translator is working in and actually executes the translation - if you get a translation done in Quebec, translator certified in Quebec, in DR - DR, etc.

eidmouna

Nov 5, 2021

Let's make this simple: take your docs to a notary or certified translator, tell them you need certified translation and certified copy. Most likely the notary or translator will work with their opposite number (often in same building or office) and take care of both for you.

I don't know specifics for DR but in most countries if you say you need translation and copy, certified in way that would be standard for a foreign embassy, they'll know what to do (at least in capital cities).

eidmouna

Nov 5, 2021
He does not need to be certified in Canada but if they are not then they need an affidavit. here is the information on the provided guide for PR.

Translation of documents
You must submit the following for any document that is not in English or French, unless otherwise stated on your document checklist:
  • the English or French translation; and
  • an affidavit from the person who completed the translation (if they’re not a certified translator); and
  • a certified copy of the original document.
Important information: Translations must not be done by the applicants themselves nor by an applicant’s parent, guardian, sibling, spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner, grandparent, child, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew or first cousin.

If the translation is not done by a certified translator (a member in good standing of a provincial or territorial association of translators and interpreters in Canada), you must submit an affidavit swearing to the accuracy of the translation and the language proficiency of the translator.

An affidavit is a document on which the translator has sworn, in the presence of a person authorized to administer oaths in the country where the translator is living, that the contents of their translation are a true translation and representation of the contents of the original document.

Translators who are certified in Canada don’t need to supply an affidavit.

The affidavit must be sworn in the presence of:

In Canada:

• a notary public
  • a commissioner of oaths
  • a commissioner of taking affidavits
Authority to certify varies by province and territory. Consult your local provincial or territorial authorities.

Outside of Canada:

• a notary public
Authority to administer oaths varies by country. Consult your local authorities.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
He does not need to be certified in Canada but if they are not then they need an affidavit. here is the information on the provided guide for PR.
An affidavit is a document on which the translator has sworn, in the presence of a person authorized to administer oaths in the country where the translator is living, that the contents of their translation are a true translation and representation of the contents of the original document.
If you read carefully, the 'affidavit' is something the notary will do - as a person authorized to administer oaths - as matter of course when arranging the certified copy of the original and translation. (In many countres they'll also only do this for certified translators anyway - which is why you can't get it certified after the fact)

That's why I said - go to notary or certified translator wherever you are and ask them to arrange both. They know what to do.

You can do whatever you like of course - but presumably there's a reason you asked here, and I've actually done this, many times. (Granted not in DR but most coutnries with civil systems derived from European ones have similar)

eidmouna

Nov 5, 2021
If you read carefully, the 'affidavit' is something the notary will do - as a person authorized to administer oaths - as matter of course when arranging the certified copy of the original and translation. (In many countres they'll also only do this for certified translators anyway - which is why you can't get it certified after the fact)

That's why I said - go to notary or certified translator wherever you are and ask them to arrange both. They know what to do.

You can do whatever you like of course - but presumably there's a reason you asked here, and I've actually done this, many times. (Granted not in DR but most coutnries with civil systems derived from European ones have similar)
I understand, thank you for the advise. My problem is that i am not in the Dominican republic anymore and do not have the original with me. But all the information received has been of great help. I wish i asked a long time ago. By sending original for the birth certificate and the marriage certificate, i do not need to worry about certified copies. In the Dominican, Orginal can easily be ordered from the civil office where the wedding was conducted. And now that I realise the passport is also in English, i dont have to worry about it either.

For the Translations, everything is already translated. So it is just a question of having them translated again here in Quebec and not break my head over it anymore.

Again I am really greatfull for all. your answers!!!!!

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
If you don't mind not getting the originals back, you can submit them.

And yes, easiest tk just get translated wherever you are.