+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Certified Copies??? of translated original documents

ComedyGeek

Jun 15, 2015
Hi everyone,

I got my ITA last week and I'm getting everything ready for submission. I'm originally from Venezuela, so most of my papers are in Spanish. My question is regarding the certified copies to be included in the translations. Who certifies these copies? Is it enough for a copy of a diploma to be stamped by the university or do I need to get it certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Venezuela as well? Same goes for civil documents like PCC or marriage certificates, do these have to bear the legalization seal issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs? Or is a copy certified by the corresponding office enough?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Caesarpy

Star Member
Sep 12, 2016
ComedyGeek said:
Hi everyone,

I got my ITA last week and I'm getting everything ready for submission. I'm originally from Venezuela, so most of my papers are in Spanish. My question is regarding the certified copies to be included in the translations. Who certifies these copies? Is it enough for a copy of a diploma to be stamped by the university or do I need to get it certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Venezuela as well? Same goes for civil documents like PCC or marriage certificates, do these have to bear the legalization seal issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs? Or is a copy certified by the corresponding office enough?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Get your documents translated by a certified translator, then you don't need certified copies. Just submit the scanned copies of the original docs and the translations.

If you reside in Canada currently, you can find certified translators from this website: http://www.cttic.org/certification.asp

ComedyGeek

Jun 15, 2015
Caesarpy said:
Get your documents translated by a certified translator, then you don't need certified copies. Just submit the scanned copies of the original docs and the translations.

If you reside in Canada currently, you can find certified translators from this website:
Thank you, Caesar. Unfortunately, I don't live in Canada and the difference in translation costs is huge, so I would prefer to do it here. :( :( :(

Can anyone else shed some light into this?

LeoRei

May 13, 2014
Hey ComedyGeek,
We are in the same situation right now. We got our ITA and we are applying from Venezuela.
How did it work for you with the certified documents? Did you have to "legalize" them at the Ministry or the certified translation worked?