+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Certified Copies for TRV. What If My Country Doesn't Do This?

Nate Gee

May 23, 2017
<Edit> I have found an answer - it turns out that since I am applying from Japan, I do not need to do the translation/certification step as Japanese is the language of the country from where I am applying. I really hope that I am not misinterpreting this.

Hey all. So from a previous thread it seems that I will need documents (pay slips and bank balance) translated and then submit certified copies along with my app.

The problem is that, after some research, this is simply not done in Japan. Translation is fine but a system for certifying copies does not exist outside of embassies, and then it's only for stuff like birth certificates, and it is an extremely long trip, as well as being expensive.

There are notaries and scriveners, but they are insanely expensive and often just do not do this sort of work.

I suppose this is because Japan is visa exempt from most countries that require this crap, but as I am a foreigner in Japan, I am not.

As far as I see it, my options are:
- Skip the TRV and just gut it out until I can see my girlfriend in December, which would be unpleasant, but tolerable.
- Submit my app as is, without the certified copies. It's only two documents (pay slips and bank balance) - proof of funds, which are extremely self explanatory. I already have tickets, a letter of invitation, an itinerary and some history of travels to other countries.

And then hope that I get by on strength of the app and risk a rejected TRV negatively influencing a possible spousal visa down the road.

- Wait until I am home in my original country - at which time I will be unemployed, but have a fairly sizable bank balance, investments and family as well as studies which could do for proof of intent to return I guess.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
The problem is that, after some research, this is simply not done in Japan. Translation is fine but a system for certifying copies does not exist outside of embassies, and then it's only for stuff like birth certificates, and it is an extremely long trip, as well as being expensive.

There are notaries and scriveners, but they are insanely expensive and often just do not do this sort of work.
Japan does do this, all countries do this as they are used not only for immigration purposes but for all sort of international applications (scholarships, internships, conferences, etc.). Regarding expenses, this is not a "reason" not to do it.

But I think you are not doing this correctly. The translation is called "a certified translation", this means that it has to be done by a certified translator (meaning the translation will have a seal and the licence number of the translator). If you translate it and then you want it "certified" (notarized, etc) this would not be valid.

Contact the translator and ask them if they are certified. If so then you are good to go. The translation should be around 20USD.

BTW please do not start a new thread for each of your questions. Keep them in a single thread, so people can answer considering all your previous posts.

Nate Gee

May 23, 2017
Thanks.

Yeah sorry, every forum seems to have it's own protocol - previously I got chewed out for not making a different topic for each question on a support forum.

I am still a little confused. The Canada website says that if I am submitting documents they need to be in English, French or the same language as the country that I am submitting from (i.e. Japanese) while others say that only English or French are acceptable.

I have contacted the Manilla visa office but I don't know how long a reply will take.

Nate Gee

May 23, 2017
An update: I applied with my bank account details, my pay slips and the majority of my other information in Japanese. My TRV reads approved today and I got a passport request.

While I would definitely recommend anyone in a similar position looks into this independently, it does seem that if the language of documents submitted is the same as country of application, you are okay.